UFO4P - Making UFO4P-compatible script edits?

Warrior 7

I'm not sure if this is the right section to post something like this, but here goes.

I'm wondering if someone can give me some assistance or point me towards some resources to get started on learning how to package your own scripts into a plugin?

The reason I'm trying to do this is that the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch is absolutely indispensable for Fallout 4, but I cannot properly use the mod Everyone's Best Friend with it. The change in the mod is literally one line in FollowersScript.pex that even BGS themselves commented was put in as a dirty hack to force only one companion. From what I've seen the game holds together exceptionally well with two companions, and I'd like to continue using two. Unfortunately, the mod includes an old buggy version of FollowerScript.pex and lumps in a fix that is already done (and probably better) by the Unofficial Patch. In order to get the mod to work properly, every time a new UFO4P version releases I have to:

• Disable the mod
  • Update the UFO4P
  • Load the game
  • Save and exit to main menu
  • Enable the mod
  • Load the game

Doing this allows the other mod's script to replace the UFO4P version, but this is obviously not optimal as it loses all the fixes from the patch. To that end I would like to package the current version of the UFO4P script with the single-line edit into a plugin that I can use, and hopefully re-create every time a new UOF4P version comes out. Would anyone be able to give me pointers to get me started on getting the updated script from the patch, and packaging it into its own plugin file?

Again, if this is not the correct place to ask this, please move this topic.

• Extract FollowerScript.psc from the UFO4P archive (into the Data/Scripts/Source/User folder)
  • Open that file (e.g. with Notepad) and make the required edits. Save.
  • Open the CK, navigate to the Followers quest and open the scripts tab. Right click on FollowerScript and select 'edit source', then recompile. This creates the required FollowerScript.pex in your Data/Scripts folder.
  • You may keep this a s a loose file to override the versions from both the UFO4P and the EBF BSAs. Better though: repack the EBF BSA with the new pex file.
Edited by Sclerocephalus
typo

Thanks for the assistance. I will try this out when I can get some time. It's really frustrating that more modders don't keep their mods UFO4P compatible. Do you know if I have to have the UFO4P .esp loaded when I compile it in the CK or not? I'm new to this and I don't fully understand what is being compiled in when it compiles.

Nope. It should be sufficient to have the .psc file and compile that with the mod's other changes on top of what we fixed.

Thanks again for the assistance. I don't think I'll be using the original mod anymore as it's a two-line change in the script and the game just sort of holds together with the change in effect, minus the companion dismiss dialogue and the Survival mode bleedout tracker. Even then, it's just some minor inconsistency. I also can't pack in the mod's changes because the mod author didn't include the .psc in their archive.

Well, it appears to have worked loose (after some .ini editing), but I wanted to try my hand at packing it into an archive. I'm hoping I did it right; my steps in order were:

• Remove my .ini change to load loose files
  • Open the CK
  • Load Fallout4.esm
  • Saved an empty plugin through file -> save
  • Created an archive through the option in file, choosing my updated followersscript.pex in Scripts/
  • Saved the archive, named it <plugin name> - main.ba2
  • Started the game, tagged my plugin to load
  • Loaded save file

Everything appears to be working, but is this the proper way to do something like this? I apologize for asking so many questions, but googling around for how to handle archives without any actual record changes in them didn't turn up anything.