Issue with Shadows around a Ported Mesh

PoptartJuniper

I'm having an issue with converting a mesh to SSE from vanilla Skyrim. In certain lights and at certain angles the eyelashes show up as shadow blocks instead of as eyelashes. Are there some flags I am missing in Nifscope? I have checked the meshes against SSE eyes and all the flags are the same. Any insight would be great! Thanks for your time!

20161217062054_1_zpswdcp9wx2.jpg

Interior Lighting.

20161216162022_1_zpsoysty60r.jpg

Outside light from below

20161217061716_1_zpsgb1hi89i.jpg

Outside light at dusk.

20161217061910_1_zpsu8uwg7wm.jpg

At night in Whiterun.

The texture is simply the skyrim texture. Someone told me to add a flag of 4844 and a threshold of 127 under the NiAlphaProperty for the BSTriShape. I have very limited experience with adjusting alpha properties but this seemed to get rid of the shadow. I am not sure exactly what those different flags did though.  I had checked everything to match up with the SSE Eye nif.

Look at how I fixed Issue 21776. This may help you if it's related.

Thanks Nico, the change of the flag to 4844 seems to have worked. I'll have to run around in game for a bit to make sure but I appreciate the insight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again. The flag change removed the weird shadows around the lashes, but now the lashes look clumpy and too dark in game. After changing the flag the lashes also start changing appearance and disappearing when I change the character's eye color.

I apologize if this is an easy fix, I don't have a lot of nif experience outside of static mashups and flag errors. If anyone has a pointer or an idea what might be causing this to happen, or even a link to a tutorial for fixing this It'd be appreciated. 

Before

20170106074807_1_zpsxtukj79k.jpg

After

20161227203150_1_zpse6bzx1gg.jpg

Before

20170106074901_1_zpsv9akenas.jpg

After

20161227174050_1_zpsaaorfase.jpg

Can you share mesh and texture(s) taht will make it easier to "diagnose" the problem.

Again, it probably just needs adjusting of the alpha properties, more specifically the Threshold value. Higher values take away less alpha, so if you're using 127, go lower, like 80 or 90.

Also, have you tried running the mesh (the original) through Nif Optimizer to convert it?

BSLightingShaderProperty has "SLSF2_Duble_Sided" flag in "Shader Flags 2" orginal SSE eyes mshes do not have such flag.

Also mesh is optimized with SSE NIF Optimizer make sure that you use the latest version.

@Hana

Threshold value is ok.

The double sided flag keeps the eyelashes from disappearing when seeing them from the side. I toggled it off and on to see if it would correct the shadow but it just made them disappear. I suppose that "corrects" the issue in a way, but looks silly with such long eyelashes.

I've run them through the latest nif optimizer after the headpart option was available.

I'll try lowering the threshold and seeing how that looks. Much appreciation for your input.