Looking For Professional Opinions

Khugan

Now that there is built in rain and snow occlusion, I was wondering about the viability of homes, shacks, and cabins in a given vanilla world space that are not, themselves, cells. I know some exist already, but when the rain passes straight through, it's pretty immersion breaking.

What do you guys think the performance impact would be with such a mod or mods? 

Examples:

1. All homes in the game are open

2. Only player homes

3. Plus Hearthfire homes

4. Only new added smallish cabins and shacks

I was thinking it would be pretty cool to have open homes with fireplaces that can be lit, and will burn out. Candles and lanterns that can be lit/blown out. Windows to look out of as well as cracks in the wall that actual light from the inside shows through, if indeed fires are lit within. I don't know if Chesko could do something with Campfire in terms of the fireplaces being light-able and requiring wood, but that was a thought as well. My own modding experience and abilities ended with Oblivion, so Im mainly bring this up as a potential idea for someone with the expertise and willingness to carry it out. I'm posting about it here because you guys are a group of solid experts when it comes to TES and the limits of this new 64 bit engine. So what are the road blocks to such an idea?

Thanks,

Khugan

Doable, but a fair bit of terrain editing...

A major roadblock would be other mods editing anything inside the cabins/shacks. Large scripts shunting lots of records around for the purposes of compatibility.

If the cabin/shack has windows, then we lose the exterior view.

Unless one does a mod which provides a 2 way view onto the exterior cell (or interior if exterior) which would be a great improvement on the crappy window views in current interiors. Bit of geometry knowhow required there. :)

Edit: But then an Open Cities approach might be more easily implemented.