[RELz] Footprints

Jon

Footprints 1.5.3 (2016-11-21)

Nexus

Adds footprints to the player, NPCs, and creatures. 

New in 1.5.3

- Fixed the Giant's footprints not showing up. 
- Improved code that resets player footprints after changing race (werewolf, etc.). 
  • The same code now applies to NPCs with prints as well, so NPC race changing is now correctly supported. 
- Improved code that resets player footprints on savegame load. 
  • The player's effect now kills itself on savegame load, instead of the main player alias script killing it, which is slightly cleaner. 
- Improved the manner in which unsupported races are ignored by the effect-attaching script. 
  • The unsupported actor is no longer permanently ignored, which has two benefits: it is never stored in your save at any point; if I add support for the actor's race in the future, it is easier to give them the new effect. 
  • This is retroactive, so the old system will be removed from all existing saves. 
- The cloak that attaches the effects, which has been "pulsed" (turned on/off) for several versions, is now active for even less time. It has gone from being active ~20% of the time to being active ~10% of the time. The time between pulses is also slightly less so there should be slightly fewer instances where you notice NPCs without prints yet. 
- Fixed the cloak being active immediately upon game load, i.e. before I could manage its status with the main script. This didn't matter before implementing the ignored location/world/interior system, but now meant the cloak was briefly running before it could be shut off for ignored locations. 

- Other miscellaneous script fixes and improvements that are not worth enumerating.

New in 1.5.2

- Resaved normal maps in linear BC7. When rushing to convert them for 1.5.1, I inadvertently saved them all as sRGB BC7 which caused slightly incorrect lighting.

New in 1.5

- Ported to SSE

- Added several optimizations
     The system that adds footprint effects to NPCs will no longer run in any interiors whatsoever, which unfortunately disables the effect in some ice caves and a few other interiors which have snow.  The PC will continue to have prints in these locations however.
     The system will turn off for entire world spaces and locations where the effects for any supported material (snow, ash, etc) are not necessary.  This includes places like Riften, Markarth, Solitude, Whiterun and their surrounding exteriors.  I will continue to add locations deemed suitable in future updates.
     Footprints on NPCs will now expire after a short duration and they need to be close enough to regain the effect. 

- The optimization options from the MCM in 1.0 still remain even though the MCM was removed for SSE.  You can configure the limits for NPCs and FX via the console, as well as turn off the system entirely (see below).

Console Commands

If you would like to modify the NPC/FX Limits or to Enable/Disable Footprints, you can do so in the console:

Lower the NPC Limit to 25 (Default: 50)

set fp_FootprintsNPCLimit to 25

Lower the FX Limit to 0 (Default: 20)

set fp_FootprintsFXLimit to 0

Turn off Footprints completely:

set fp_IsFootprintsDisabled to 1

I've hidden the file for now, as people are saying they are getting CTDs,  which isn't actually possible.  The reasons as for why are in the hide message.

I'll list the issues I received here:

1. Crashing during the intro cutscene.  Not possible as my scripts don't even start until after Helgen.

2. Crashing looking at the Windhelm stables, or crashing leaving Windhelm.   Only thought was the FX NIFs being Oldrim format.  I replaced them.  Someone tested for me, still had issues.

3. Crashing when fighting a dragon.  My mod does nothing to dragons.  It ignores them entirely.  No scripts or magic effects run on the dragons.

4. Crashing before or after transitioning from werewolf.  This was actually listed in the vanilla changelog for 1.2 beta, so I have no idea if it's actually my issue.

Oh and if it wasn't obvious, I've had zero issues over the past several days. 

I grabbed the file before you brought it down so I'll check it in a bit here once I get USSEP 4.0.3 pushed out the door.

I'll also just repost what I posted on the /r/SkyrimMods thread, which is rather unfortunate as it's just now linking to a hidden file.

If anyone would like to test for me and:

Report your crash in detail  
Give a way to reproduce, if possible  
Include a load order and any other mods like replacers

<redacted link>

I can't unhide the file if I don't get a better sampling of issues (or non-issues).  If you could try the things mentioned in the list above that would also help.  Basically, I can't really trust reports on the Nexus, and they don't get back to me when I actually respond with followups.

-----

Update #2: I had a SKSE dev standing at the ready with a debugger to actually find out what is crashing what, and naturally he also has zero problems like me.

If anyone reading here wants to test.  It's possible I hid it too readily,  but I wasn't going to go to bed and wake up with a nightmare Nexus comment section.

---

UPDATE:   New package, with replaced textures:  <redacted link>

Edited by Jon
People still keep requesting access for these test files for some insane reason. Use the Nexus!

There definitely appears to be something wrong.

As soon as the vanilla cart ride (whether using LAL or not) begins to fade in, the game crashes.

Trying to walk from Kynesgrove over to WIndhelm crashes before getting very far up the road. Distance I'm able to make it seems to vary.

Didn't try on a dragon, so no idea what would happen.

The werewolf thing is definitely on Bethesda though because that's called out in their own changelog.

Using Patch 1.2.39 if that matters.

Active Mod Files:

00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  Dawnguard.esm
03  HearthFires.esm
04  Dragonborn.esm
05  Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp  [Version 4.0.3]
06  Falskaar.esm
07  Wyrmstooth.esp  [Version 2.0]
08  Cutting Room Floor.esp  [Version 3.0]
09  Castle Volkihar Rebuilt.esp  [Version 2.0]
0A  CWQuartermasters.esp  [Version 2.0]
0B  FA Guard Helmet.esp
0C  StormLord.esp
0D  Bring Out Your Dead.esp  [Version 4.0.1]
0E  Prometheus_BeastSkeletons.esp
++  Sit up Jarls.esp
0F  SkaalKidAetaCoat.esp
10  Cliffracers.esp
11  Footprints.esp
12  SoS - The Dungeons.esp  [Version 2.0]
13  SoS - The Wilds.esp  [Version 2.0]
14  SoS - Civilization.esp  [Version 1.02]
15  Dragon Claw Stands.esp  [Version 2.0]
16  Run For Your Lives.esp  [Version 3.0]
17  When Vampires Attack.esp  [Version 3.0]
18  Flexible Smithing (Stripped).esp
19  Ars Metallica.esp
1A  Freedom of Speech.esp
1B  IslandFastTravel.esp
1C  Gildergreen Regrown.esp  [Version 2.0]
1D  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 2.0]
1E  ImprovedHearthfireLighting.esp
1F  HoldBorderBanners.esp
20  Point The Way.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
21  Practice Dummies.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
22  Practice Dummies - Falskaar.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
23  Practice Dummies - Wyrmstooth.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
24  Dolmen Ruins.esp  [Version 2.0]
25  Shadowmarks.esp  [Version 2.0]
26  Manor Roads.esp  [Version 1.0]
27  Storefront.esp  [Version 2.0]
28  Skyrim Bridges.esp
29  CRF + Bridges Patch.esp  [Version 1.0]
2A  Kynesgrove.esp  [Version 2.0]
2B  Darkwater Crossing.esp  [Version 2.0]
2C  Ivarstead.esp  [Version 2.0]
2D  Shor's Stone.esp  [Version 2.0]
2E  Whistling Mine.esp  [Version 2.0]
2F  Soljund's Sinkhole.esp  [Version 2.0]
30  Karthwasten.esp  [Version 2.0]
31  Helarchen Creek.esp  [Version 2.0.]
32  Lokir's House.esp
33  Bee Hives.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
34  Open Cities Skyrim.esp
35  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 4.0.1]
36  Serana Joins The Party.esp
37  Falskaar Fixes.esp
++  MLPSoulGems.esp
38  Bashed Patch.esp
39  Dawnguard Map Markers.esp  [Version 1.0.1]

No mesh or texture replacer mods yet.

Run the latest NifScan (it also does check textures now), there are some problems with your textures.

I can confirm this.

I did the following

- unpacked BSA

- loaded DDS in PS with nVidia plugin and save again all as DXT5

- packed everything back to BSA (SSE Archive.exe)

I used these settings

azZRR6Q.png

I started a new game patch 1.2.39

Load Order

00  Skyrim.esm

01  Update.esm

02  Dawnguard.esm

03  HearthFires.esm

04  Dragonborn.esm

05  Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp  [Version 4.0.3]

06  Campfire.esm

07  Cutting Room Floor.esp  [Version 3.0]

08  Castle Volkihar Rebuilt.esp  [Version 2.0]

09  Bring Out Your Dead.esp  [Version 4.0.1]

0A  Gildergreen Regrown.esp  [Version 2.0]

0B  Footprints.esp

0C  The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp  [Version 2.0]

0D  Run For Your Lives.esp  [Version 3.0]

0E  When Vampires Attack.esp  [Version 3.0]

0F  Point The Way.esp  [Version 2.0.1]

10  Practice Dummies.esp  [Version 2.0.1]

11  Storefront.esp  [Version 2.0]

12  Kynesgrove.esp  [Version 2.0]

13  Darkwater Crossing.esp  [Version 2.0]

14  Ivarstead.esp  [Version 2.0]

15  Shor's Stone.esp  [Version 2.0]

16  Whistling Mine.esp  [Version 2.0]

17  Soljund's Sinkhole.esp  [Version 2.0]

18  Karthwasten.esp  [Version 2.0]

19  Frostfall.esp

1A  iNeed.esp

1B  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 4.0]

1C  InsaneSkyrim.esp  [Version 0.3]

1D  InsaneSkyrim - Your Own Thoughts.esp

1E  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Generally I was running on the snow about forty minutes.

First from Riverwood to Windhelm then four times from Windhelm to Kynesgrove back and forth in various ways without problems. :woot:

EDIT

I will add that I have a lot of replacements for textures and meshes including snow  :P

@IP but were you actually having issues before repacking the textures?   

@zilav  The textures thing is well and good but it doesn't explain the mix of people which have no issues and cannot reproduce any of the crashes and ones who crash everywhere.  I have gone to all these locations that supposedly crash.  It can't be crashing just ATI users because one person I had testing is on Nvidia the same as me. 

"Unsupported" textures in SEE crash depending on either hardware or drivers, or maybe something else. For example I was constantly crashing with R5G6B5 texture, but when asked to test another person it worked fine for him. No idea, but the fact remains - all those reduced bits DXT compressions are not safe anymore, use only (A8)R8G8B8 from now on.

First I read about CDT on Nexus before you hide Footprints.

Then I read what zilav and Arthmoor wrote, and I decided to do what I described.

I must admit that I have not played with original BSA only which that I did after the re-save of DDS in PS.

Now I will start again with original BSA and it turns out if I will have a CTD.

I'll come back with a report in about 30 minutes from the time of writing this post.

Edited by InsanePlumber

So I restored original BSA.
I have loaded the game
and start running from Windhelm to Kynesgrove I made a few steps and CTD repeat this two more times and always after a few steps CTD.

Then I loaded game and immediately fast travel to Helgen after a few steps in Helgen CTD.

So the situation seems obvious for me, it was something wrong with DDS.

If I can help somehow more please write what I have do and If it somehow help I can send You BSA that I did.

EDIT

I want to add that never before I had CTD in SSE.

And I use ~5GB replacements for Meshe and Textures (mainly Textures) all pack in BSA after checking them all, Yes I'm Insane  :teehee: 

Edited by InsanePlumber

Thank you for testing IP.  I already converted all the normal maps to DX11 format, by hand from my original TIFFs.   I will put a new package here for you and Arthmoor to test since you two can actually verify that it's fixed for me :)

It may be an hour or so.

Looks like it is tied to DirectX version

While DXGI 1.0 and DXGI 1.1 include 5:6:5 (DXGI_FORMAT_B5G6R5_UNORM) and 5:5:5:1 (DXGI_FORMAT_B5G5R5A1_UNORM)  pixel format enumerations, the DirectX 10.x and 11.0 Runtimes do not support these formats for use with Direct3D.  The DirectX 11.1 runtime, DXGI 1.2, and the WDDM 1.2 driver model fully support 16bpp formats (5:6:5, 5:5:5:1, and   4:4:4:4).

from https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex

Jon looks like everything is okay. :frantics:

Windhelm to Kynesgrove a few times no problems.

Then the great circle Windhelm -> Wintehild -> Dawnstar -> Morthat and back to Windhelm

I even stole a horse (for test purposes only ;) ) traveling on his back along the way I met a patrol of Imperials, a dozen wolves, troll, bandits, orc all leaving traces in the snow.

I proposes to wait until Arthmoor make tests on AMD GPU to be sure.

Footprints is for me an indispensable part of Skyrim since it appeared.

Thank you Jon for making SSE version.

EDIT

When I change in ESP GLOB fp_FootprintsNPCLimit and fp_FootprintsFXLimit then when I start a new game they will apply as far as I understand?

I know that I can use the console but I prefer not to use it in a "normal game"

Now we are waiting for SKSE x64 :)

I've unhidden the file.

@IP Thank you very much for testing.  It was invaluable as I obviously have no way of downgrading my OS version or DX11 runtime. :)

Yes you can do that I suppose.  Were you lowering or increasing the limits though? :P   On average you'll probably only have 10-15 NPCs with active footprints.  Up to 25 or so in the densest areas.  

• 2 weeks later...

New in 1.5.3

• Fixed the Giant's footprints not showing up.
  • Numerous script improvements and some minor fixes. See Changelog/Readme for more details.

Hello Jon,

I noticed that Barbas does not leave traces of paws on the snow.

It is not a big problem but I thought that I would mention that.

• 4 months later...