TES5: How do you determine whether any follower/summon is aligned with the player?

fireundubh

I've read that the GetPlayerTeammate condition is broken, so how do you determine whether any follower/summon is aligned with the player?

Are followers/summons automatically added to the player faction?

I want a cloak effect to apply only to followers/summons.

Also, does the IsPlayerTeammate() function return True for summons?

Followers get pulled into an alias which is a member of CurrentFollowerFaction, PlayerFollowerFaction, and WIFollowerCommentFaction.

I think most people just settle on checking CurrentFollowerFaction when they want to know what to look for.

No idea what it does to make summons friendly to the player. None of the spells or effects have any faction data associated with them. So the engine must be doing something to keep them from going hostile on you.

Thanks. I had some trouble with the mod I was making because I was not thinking and calling HasMagicEffect on summons created by fire and forget magic, and then I was trying to run a cloak without a magnitude, so it had no radius.

But with CurrentFollowerFaction and a formlist of summons, I've managed to make a cloak-based version of Followers Keep Up that works for all followers and summons without any compatibility issues.

It's really too bad that summons don't have summon-specific keywords or even summon-specific actor values, but this is good enough, I guess.

In my one test of the working version, I somehow attracted a Stray Dog, who was also affected by the cloak because he joined the CurrentFollowerFaction. That was amazing to me.