How do you "add physics" to an object?

fireundubh

There is official NiF exporter for 3dsmax but I have no idea if it supports exporting with collisions. If not, then copy collision node if NifSkope from a similar mesh and toggle collision flag in BSX node.

Thank you for the information, STEM is for me a "necessary evil".

I do not really look in to it, if I do not have to.

EDIT

Stupid me, I was looking on Steam and I began to irritate what's going on.

It turns out all in this new "unnecessary" BethesdaNetLauncher :troll:

EDIT2

>>> Only For 3ds Max 2013 What A Bunch Of Idiots! <<<

Only For 3ds Max 2013 What A Bunch Of Idiots!

No, they're not. They use 3ds Max 2013. Why would they spend money on developing an exporter for other versions? That would really make them idiots.

Be happy that there's a free, official NIF exporter in the first place by request. As Arthmoor said here, the last game SDK to offer an exporter was Morrowind.

No, they're not. They use 3ds Max 2013. Be happy that there's a free, official NIF exporter in the first place. These ungrateful comments always make me wonder why game developers make games.

You're kidding, without modders Bethesda games would have been long ago forgotten.

It is in their interest to provide free tools.

You're kidding, without modders Bethesda games would have been long ago forgotten.

It is in their interest to provide free tools.

You're generalizing. There hasn't been an official NIF exporter since Morrowind. Their games between then and now have clearly not been forgotten.

I also think you're totally overestimating the impact of mods on the success and long tail of Bethesda's games. Only 1% of the player base uses mods. 99% of the players literally can't care less about what modders are doing.

Moreover, why are you trolling my thread? I asked about adding physics to objects. I don't care about your totally unqualified opinions about why Bethesda is successful at all.

"Only 1% of the player base uses mods."

Sure, as you take into account that this is some old statistics from Beth have thrown into one bag all users. (PC and Conlole)

And so far on consoles It is not possible to install mods, and as you know FO3/FNV and SKY sold the most on consoles.

"Moreover, why are you trolling my thread?"

I'm sorry it was not my intention.

Converting Objects for Icons AKA ‘PTRN - Transform

You can inject new "BSTriShape" using NifSkope in an existing mesh with similar shape and "physics".

So, I opened the .nif with NifSkope and exported the file to an .obj file. I now have the .obj file imported into 3ds Max. Do you know how I would add collision in 3ds Max?

So, I opened the .nif with NifSkope and exported the file to an .obj file. I now have the .obj file imported into 3ds Max. Do you know how I would add collision in 3ds Max?

I have no desire to maintain the Importer as both the import/export code are a wreck and there are programs that write to NIFs better.  The export was quick to hack in but the import is much different, especially because there are almost 20 unique vertex formats used by FO4.  I'd rather let Figment and others deal with it.  If I ever improve import/export it will be by moving everything to use assimp, a library which will make it much easier to import/export from/to many more formats.   Basically, Import/Export has been "use at your own risk" for years, and most of us would rather strip it out than try to fix it.

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4136-nifskope-20-dev/?p=159357

I create or edit existing mesh in max, export to NIF, and merge with NifSkope in existing NIF with same or similar shape that has similar collisions.

EDIT

For Skyrim collisions i use NifUtilsSuite

I create or edit existing mesh in max, export to NIF, and merge with NifSkope in existing NIF with same or similar shape that has similar collisions.

Back in the beginning of Skyrim modding, this is what we did as well. Make sure to copy the Trishapes into the mesh collision, not vice versa. Copying collision nodes doesn't end well.

Back in the beginning of Skyrim modding, this is what we did as well. Make sure to copy the Trishapes into the mesh collision, not vice versa. Copying collision nodes doesn't end well.

That's what I'm doing, I forgot to write about it.

Thank you for reminding about this Hana.

Hrm... I need an "add physics to object" button...

Anyone want to "add physics" to some Fallout 4 meshes for my Interactive Clutter mod?  :imp:

I've already converted 63 supposedly moveable statics to miscellaneous items and replaced more than 14,000 references. I can pick up things like tires, mannequins, and weed whackers in the game. All objects have pickup/drop sounds, keywords, value/weight, scrap components, and transforms.

But a few of the objects, like the Mr. Handy Box in the screenshot, freeze in the air when you drop them. Most of the converted objects have box-like meshes.

How many of these Meshes that freeze in the air ?

Pack all in the archive (while maintaining full path "Meshes\Props\Jet.nif" )

We'll see what I can do/help.

See if that Mesh (it is edited MrHandyFuel_Prewar.nif with "BSTriShape" from PlayerHouse_Ruin_HandyBox01.nif) still hangs in the air.

Here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0o3cG8Q52tpamQtT0wzV2NieW8

• Meshes Without Physics.7z is the main file. There are only 7 files. (I'd like to convert some statics to miscellaneous items, too, but those definitely don't have physics/rigid bodies or whatever.)
  • Broken Tricycle01 Mesh.7z: The Tricycle01.nif mesh behaves strangely. When you spawn the object, it doesn't spawn in front of the player. When you try creating a transform for it, it's off-center. Way off-center. I think the collision node should match the collision node in TricyclePW.nif since they're basically the same model with different textures.

Write me whether this mesh work (what I gave link in the previous post), then I will continue with rest of the meshes, or continue "searching the way".

EDIT

If that previous mesh does not work, see if this works.

Please see whether this also works even if the previous work, then I'll do a quick guide to what and how in NifSkope.

P.S.

I'll be back in an hour.

Edited by InsanePlumber

Write me whether this mesh work (what I gave link in the previous post), then I will continue with rest of the meshes, or continue "searching the way".

It now drops (yay), but it also clips into the ground, can't be grabbed from most angles, and spins when pushed.

See the second mesh work, I'll be back in an hour now I have to go after the kids.

The official exporter doesn't export working collisions.  It exports Skyrim-era collisions (if you toggle an option, otherwise you get even OLDER collisions) and the Preview app gives you a warning that it converted the physics at runtime to the new style (bhkPhysicsSystem).   However, I don't think the engine actually likes the old collision even though the Preview will show it with the F4 key.

You can read here that they say that collision support is "TBD":  https://community.bethesda.net/thread/2888

You can read this thread starting here:  https://community.bethesda.net/thread/6101?start=75&tstart=0  ... regarding collision and the confirmation from the devs that it doesn't work and that they will be fixing it.

EDIT2

>>> Only For 3ds Max 2013 What A Bunch Of Idiots! <<<

You might not understand that their work relies on the Havok Content Tools 2014.1 which only supports up to 3ds Max 2013.   They probably couldn't provide an exporter for newer versions if they wanted.   The official exporter does include the scripts from HCT in the installer,  but not the actual binaries the scripts use.  However this might be all you need.  I would still suggest installing HCT 2014.1 x64 yourself and then install the official exporter.

You might not understand that their work relies on the Havok Content Tools 2014.1 which only supports up to 3ds Max 2013.

Fooled myself in this commentary I admit.

Where can I download Havok Content Tools 2014.1 x64, I can not really find it on the http://www.havok.com website?

As for the collision, for now it remains injecting "BSTriShape" using NifSkope if I understand it correctly?