OBND question.

Mebantiza

Just a question, What is the effect in game of the "Object Bounds" properties in xEdit?  I currently working on modernizing , fixing my mod list with Xedit and I am noticing OBND  values all over the place on certain items

Example Petty soul Gem. 

Skyrim ESM says :   USLEEP    ASM(Another sorting Mod)-Winner, says something else again.

-1                              -8                  -5

-2                              -2                  -4

-8                              -2                  -2

4                                9                   8

2                                1                   5

9                                0                   3

I am seeing some of this here and there and am trying to get the values consistent across all my mods. What do these do precisely and should I forward USLEEP, or were these set that way by authors for some other possible reason? I haven't been able find a good definition of what OBND does.

CK has Recalc Bounds right click menu. This is probably an optimization for the game and collisions when some havok data is calculated only when bounding boxes of objects are intersecting or something like that. Just my speculation though.

So I gather, those values have to do with collision and physics of objects, like books and so on in game? I just settled for whatever values USLEEP had, even in cases where i see 3 or 4 differing opinions and made them all same. My game hasn't crashed nor have I been impaled by any errant soul gems or burnt books, so I guess its all good...

So I gather, those values have to do with collision and physics of objects, like books and so on in game? I just settled for whatever values USLEEP had, even in cases where i see 3 or 4 differing opinions and made them all same. My game hasn't crashed nor have I been impaled by any errant soul gems or burnt books, so I guess its all good...

I believe that is exactly what the Object Bounds do. I found a lot of references to object bounds when researching bookshelf mods.

FYI, Nazenn has recently taken over (and fixed) Unlimited Bookshelves, which I believe edits more object bounds than USLEEP. Nazenn has mentioned that he hopes to add even more "proper" object bounds to vanilla items in the future.

I've heard only about a single case when objects bounds affected something, probably 2 years ago. It was a conflict between Birds of Skyrim adding custom placed nests on trees and some early version of Vurt's SFO. One of the trees in SFO had abnormally large Z2 bound value in SFO plugin which caused a nest to be flying high in the air.

The OBND data is useful for books, as has been said. Even though it's not apparent, the bookshelf system calculates stuff based on them. If they're all 0's then you end up with an odd mashup of books that Havok will force apart, which is probably why Bethesda thought they needed collision planes in front of the shelves.