[Brainstorm] Not sure if you guys are interested in this, but I have a few ideas about expanding the vanilla dialogue system.

flipdark95

Although the current dialogue system does have a few limitations, I personally feel like there's nothing structurally wrong with it. While the dialogue can be basic at times and there are a few points where your options are to say yes immediately, or be sarcastic first than say yes, or just to walk away from the conversation, I feel like Fallout 4's dialogue wheel can work very well in bringing back skill checks from Fallout New Vegas and attribute checks from Fallout 3 into a quest's dialogue.

So what I've done here is made a few comparisons and added my own expansions to the current dialogue options you'd typically find in most quests, be they part of the main quest or just a sidequest. I've also gone and done the same for dialogue with companions as well, although not quite to the same extent, as dialogue with companions in Fallout 4 is a fair improvement in a lot of respects to the earlier games, although simplified in some respects.

Anyway, without anymore rambling, here's what my expansion is all about.

Default Fallout 4 Dialogue Wheel

4jYQojd.png

The default dialogue is basic, but offers a good starting point from which to expand, rather than completely change Fallout 4's use of the Dialogue Wheel. It is limited by the absence of dialogue options that relied on skill checks in Fallout New Vegas, and doesn't include dialogue tied to attributes that was present in both Fallout 3 and FNV.

Expanded Fallout Dialogue Wheel

v6DOyrH.png

The largest and most noticeable expansions to the Dialogue Wheel are the addition of the Perk Branch, the S.P.E.C.I.A.L Branch, and the Background Branch.

The S.P.E.C.I.A.L Branch handles all dialogue choices directly tied to the amount of stat points you've invested into your attributes. Strength options require high strength, intelligence options require high intelligence, and charisma options require high charisma, and are essentially the default game's speech checks.

The Perk Branch attempts to bring back some of the NV style dialogue system in the form of tying speech options to the presence of perks you've unlocked. Intimidation checks are now placed as dialogue options that require the right perk to use, alongside other dialogue options that mimic the use of skill-related dialogue that was in Fallout New Vegas. (E.G the explosives skill check is replaced by the Demolition Expert perk. Perks like Cannibal, Commando, Sniper Expert, Attack Dog and Toughness give unique Intimidation choices.)

The Background Branch handles all lore-related topics that the player can ask, but will usually be limited to quest-specific questions.

Default Fallout 4 Companion Dialogue

Q2yiJtI.png

The Companion dialogue is more fleshed out than the general dialogue wheel, but is still a very basic setup in terms of dialogue options. While Companions do comment on many locations, quests and npcs you come across, there are a few options I felt should be added in or fleshed out, such as relationship dialogue, asking them about their thoughts on various factions or current events in a much more expanded fashion, and dialogue concerning behavior in combat as well.

Expanded Fallout 4 Companion Dialogue

WPzbp54.png

The expanded dialogue wheel for companions brings back some of the options from the FNV companion wheel, and also adds in options for choosing combat behavior, as well as putting in more topics for the player to discuss with the companion such as factions, other companions and so on and so forth. The Trade branch is also expanded with the addition of the player asking the companion to sell their junk and make some more caps.

And there we go. That's my concept for how the dialogue wheel can expand to incorporate the use of your perks and attributes in allowing new dialogue options and paths. This isn't intended to be a picture of every single conversation or quest in the game, but more of a total overlook of what the dialogue can expand to become, especially in regards to player-made quests. Personally, I think this would at it's best as the core framework for new questlines made by the modding community.