Question about deleted Navmeshes

Roy Batty

I'm still rather new to Skyrim mod authoring, so I had a question about deleted navmeshes.

In Fallout 3/NV this is bad thing to have in mods as door portals will stop working properly and teleport companions to the first door in the cell (often not where you entered) or doors can stop working entirely. I've been following the guide on cleaning DLC's (also something we don't do in Fallout with official files because random issues ensue).

I've read other posts from various people here that lead me to believe that deleted navmeshes are also a bad thing in Skyrim, and I'm curious if it is safe for me make the deleted/new navmeshes in Dawnguard and Hearthfires into overrides like I would do with Fallout.

Yes, deleted navmeshes are just as bad in Skyrim as they were in past games. They should be removed and/or corrected wherever possible.

You can't do overrides on them though. That will cause the game to crash when you get to the area the deleted navmeshes are in. So the only real solution for the deleted ones in the DLCs is to avoid touching them at all. Removing them from the DLCs isn't feasible since you'd have to load the plugin into the CK to save it so the NAVI would get updated. Even if you could, the restored navmeshes would then interfere with the edited ones in the same areas.

This sort of thing was especially bothersome when the USKP tried to correct the navmesh in Breezehome and ended up becoming a source of CTDs instead once Hearthfire came out.

HRM, is there no Power-Up type of SKSE plugin to enable loading/saving .esm's in CKIT? hrm... does Version Control work in CKIT or did they remove it?

Oh I am forgetting that mods will alter them too, bah silly Beth doing bad things as usual. I'll do some experiments and see if it works or not for me as I've done it without issue in the older games, just takes some care to renumber the formid's to override the correct navmesh record. I can copy the plugin and rebuild the NAVI info in it plus refinalize if necessary, then manually replace it in xEdit then let it rebuild the ONAM's if necessary. I'm not sure if it does that for Skyrim or not... guess I'll find out.