My TES5edit took an arrow to the knee. Assistance needed.

broken_modder

Hey all. Glad to be apart of the forums. Hate I had to join like this. Anyways I've been researching modding for skyrim for the last week. Intensely. Throughout that process Ive reinstalled the game back and forth many times. Never having any problems. Now I decided to reinstall everything again, this inlcuded Steam, tes5, NMM, LOOT, TES5edit, ect. If it doesnt install to directory  I deleted them and then re-extracted the zip. Anyways so when I run  TES5edit I get some strange error.    >     Error Invalid type for".       >   Here's the bug report:

date/time         : 2015-07-06, 04:04:16, 737ms
computer name     : USER-PC
user name         : User <admin>
registered owner  : User
operating system  : Windows 7 x64 Service Pack 1 build 7601
system language   : English
system up time    : 3 hours 39 minutes
program up time   : 144 milliseconds
processors        : 4x Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
physical memory   : 2748/4095 MB (free/total)
free disk space   : (C:) 68.64 GB
display mode      : 1920x1080, 32 bit
process id        : $1b8
allocated memory  : 24.63 MB
executable        : TES5Edit.exe
exec. date/time   : 2015-05-26 12:11
version           : 3.1.1.0
compiled with     : Delphi XE
madExcept version : 4.0.5
callstack crc     : $e21fdffa, $3680652f, $3680652f
exception number  : 1
exception class   : ERegistryException
exception message : Invalid data type for ''.

main thread ($598):
004dc79f +023 TES5Edit.exe Registry           ReadError
004dd511 +069 TES5Edit.exe Registry           TRegistry.ReadString
00775097 +0c3 TES5Edit.exe wbHelpers 967   +7 wbIsAssociatedWithExtension
0098ff63 +b3b TES5Edit.exe wbInit    698 +268 wbDoInit
00a8fe4e +01a TES5Edit.exe wbInit    705   +1 initialization
00407102 +042 TES5Edit.exe System    148   +0 InitUnits
0040716b +03f TES5Edit.exe System    148   +0 @StartExe
0040be6e +042 TES5Edit.exe SysInit            @InitExe
00a8ff5c +00c TES5Edit.exe TES5Edit   70   +0 initialization
77513388 +010 kernel32.dll                    BaseThreadInitThunk

thread $4ec:
77d21f3f +0b ntdll.dll     NtWaitForWorkViaWorkerFactory
77513388 +10 kernel32.dll  BaseThreadInitThunk

thread $d74:
77d21f3f +0b ntdll.dll     NtWaitForWorkViaWorkerFactory
77513388 +10 kernel32.dll  BaseThreadInitThunk

Hopefully someone can help. I cant do sh*t until I can use TES5. It figures I get this problem right before my new motherboard is about to arrive and Im finnaly making the switch to Mod Organiser to take advantage of the various profiles. I've posted this everwhere. I will paypal you straight CASH for a speedy fix to this.

This may have something to do with running my registry cleaner from Tweaknow then defragging it.

After doing so much reserach into this problem I found out how useless and possibly harmful reg claners can be. But I wil say I run it everytime I uninstall things and never had a problem.

Also my program makes backups to every registry change. I restored them all one by one opneing tes5 inbetween. Still same error everytime. Like wtf. After 7 hours of troubleshooting Ive been up all night. and I just cant let this go it really pisses me off. I thought I was a nerd!!!!!! I cant figure this out. I hate the registry! Maybe its not the registry at all and I'm just a mudcrab with a monocle and a tophat!!!!!!

Also when I re-installed everything this time, including Steam, tes5, mod programs ect. I reinstalled them to another Drive as everyone suggests.

I run everything in administrator in case you were wondering.

Any help appreciated. I'd like to get more involved with this forum and more involved in testing various mods, helping other, and contributing my mods. I am a perfectionist and wont release anything until i feel its ready but I've got some great ideas. I feel kind of late getting into the Skyrim modding scene. I was totally hooked on WItcher 3 and GalCiv3 but THOSE GAMES ARE BROKEN AND I QUICKLY UNINSTALLED THEM BOTH. Best to wait until the end of spring next year to play witcher (trust me) and maybe another year for galciv three (although they are patching both weekly)  Thought Id get back to my roots with skyrim. Things were going well....until this.

Prolly should not have posted this here.        >.<

Moderator feel free to delete. Problem was solved though and it wasnt because of TESedit, but other factors. I'll post it here in case you guys wanna keep it around. Its whatever.

PROBLEM SOLVED: After hours upon hours of research. It seems I was left with the last resort, re-installing windows/restoring backups. As I braced myself for the tedious process, I decided to actually try messing with the registry. Everything I could find on that subject was either extremely complicated, advice warning against any modifications, use a cleaning software (tried and didn't work, I think it's the cause of the whole issue!). I figure since TES5Edit doesn't have an installer and is just a zip, well it couldn't hurt.

***registry editing is a super delicate process and without the proper know how it is very easy to ruin your OS so be sure to backup everything and have restore points ect***

Heres a run down of what I did. - Open regedit - Under "Edit" Tab. Go to Find. - Type in the file name, just the first few letters. tes5 - First entry is highlighted, then Under File,click Export. - Save a backup ( I put them in a new folder on desktop) - Under File I click Find Next. - Next Highlighted Entry shows up - then File, Export to back up. - Repeat until you get back to the first file - Start deleting them all (I had 7 entries). (or delete after each backup is made before clicking find next) - I then started the program and it worked. I did try to start it in between each delete as well, didnt work. Although it may have been a combination of entries, deleting them all did the trick. I restarted the computer and was back in business.

Hate to go nuts trying to figure something out. But maybe this could help someone else. Googling this issue got nothing. At its core its not a game modding issue, but a registry issue within windows that could come from many different programs or software.

The error;

"Eregistry Error Exception Invalid data type for "____"

I've narrowed it down to this being caused by my registry cleaner program. At least in my case. Even restoring the backups using that program didnt work, neither did system restore. So just deleting them all and allowing the program to rebuild it was the key here.

After doing fresh installs of the game, as well as the mod organizer/nmm and tools, I would use my reg cleaner to clean the registry, Thinking Oh yay how cool saving space blah blah.

After doing that a few times, boom my windows registry is damaged.

Hopefully this will help someone one day. Registry Errors are not fun. I think its better to do them after many many programs installing and uninstalling has taken place (longer intervals) In reality its at most a few megabytes your gaining if you do it often. ::sigh:: Computer cleaniless can only go so far.

Zilav or hlp would likely have swung by in time, but it's good you found a solution, and definitely appreciated that you posted what happened in case others run into this later.

Yeah, I continued to run reg cleaners and defrags a long way past ditching the machine with Win2k on it, and may well indeed run into problems with them.

It's all explained here.

Well indeed. Haha I posted this all over the web I was so desparate for help. Glad I figured it out. xEdit always works fine. At one point I thought I ran kinto a rare bug! Ha! Hopefully it does help someone down the road.