last modified date in tes5edit

VaultDuke

I realized that tes5edit only correctly sets the last modified date on saved files on one of my computers. Since the older games used that value to sort load order i suspect this is a setting i can switch somewhere. But i can not find it. Any help?

It's supposed to be automatic. No options that I know of. I did find out that adjusting time of last modification was not functioning on my previous workstation. But the issue looked to be at the Operating System level.

win 7: works

win 8.1: doesn't

too bad, really. any chance this could get looked at again?

I don't have win 8.1 to test, but this is highly unlikely to not work on it's own.

xEdit uses this API call to set dates on files

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms724933%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I googled but can't find any reference for this function to be obsolete in win8. Something in your system is preventing it to work, either 3rd party apps like antiviruses or maybe some system settings like UAC.

may be, but oddly enough i use the same software on both systems, so at any rate, it's a combination of things. UAC iirc is not new to win8 and i have the same antivirus on both, so there still seems to be another OS specific thing that handles things differently.

If xEdit is supposed to be adjusting the timestamps on files it never does that for me, and I figured that was intentional due to the games where timestamps determine load order. Editing a file and having it mess with the load order would suck :P

Well apparently for skyrim it is supposed to do that. So you say it never did it for your skyrim mods as well?

Can't say I've noticed it. Something like that would kick up trouble for the CK if it was happening since the CK still uses timestamps to determine load order for what you're working on.

If xEdit is supposed to be adjusting the timestamps on files it never does that for me, and I figured that was intentional due to the games where timestamps determine load order. Editing a file and having it mess with the load order would suck :P

Windows adjusts timestamp to the current time on saved files, but xEdit resets them back to original value to keep load order intact.

I had the issue on a Windows 7 workstation, so it's not an issue with win 8 only. Never took the time to track it down though. I'll check sometime :)

Apparently, this was my issue: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/80932d29-9a5a-471c-a735-57d70eabec4c/folders-last-modified-time-stamp-are-not-updated-in-windows-7?forum=w7itprogeneral

I'll reboot soon to confirm.

Funny thing, while debugging the Delphi program the Operating system was answering like it had effectively updated the time stamps!

Strange, it does work on some systems (majority?) without this setting. Maybe an obscure optional windows update or whatever.