Spell Crafting in Skyrim - Experiences?

VaultDuke

Hello, i'm currently reducing my mod count a bit for clean up and to get rid of  ew outdated and possibly buggy mods.

i am currently using Spell Crafting for Skyrim by TaichiKid and was wondering if anybody here uses it. Anyone who can share some experiences, whether it is still considered functional and bug free? i know in my game, it spits out 8 error messages on each new game/character about some impropperly assigned variables. that's why it's currently on my 'list', though i do like being able to craft spells, and the mod remains silent in the papyrus logs after the initial hick-up.

decisions, decisions.....

anyone able to lend me a hand?

Maybe someone else has seen this mod and used it. I'd never heard of it before now.

I didn't know that mod existed.

Although the mod seems to be a bit outdated to me just look at the date the last time it was updated.  The requirement for the mod is SKSE 1.6.6 and SkyUI 3.0, so have you tried to load this mod into CK just to see what happens.

Old doesn't always mean no good. So long as SkyUI 4.1 works with it it should be fine.

Well, the point is, it is working. It was build when the mcm was already available, and it modifies little vanilla assets for its core functions.

However...

It contains several deleted records, and complains about empty variables in the papyrus log, which looks like it doesn't set itself up propperly.

I know the former can be fixed easily. And the latter looks like it is just an initialization error (the mod is built to allow 8 hotkeys, 4 of which are set in the beginning. I suspect the script, which complains about empty settings, just wasn't bullet-proofed against the initially empty hotkey variables).

So all in all, it looks like the issues might be minor. They do however reflect badly on the authors modding practice. Seeing how he seems to have abandoned the mod, and how little feedback the mod receives nowadays, it may be, that other issues may have gone unnoticed yet. That's my fear at least, so i was hoping that maybe someone with a bit more experience in skse scripting might have given that mod a good look himself. But it looks like the mod is indeed too little known.

On a side note: It's always funny to see, how some topics about stuff that changed from one tes to another get debated heatedly, like the absense of spears, werebears and spellcrafting. But in the end if modders do come up with ways to implement them, the general community seems uninterested. There seems to be a clear cut between those vocal in the forums, and those actually involved in modding the game.

• 7 months later...

I noticed these papyrus log entries myself and wondering what they were found this thread.  Thought I'd post to point out that the spell crafting mod is now under new management with several new updates in the past couple months and a totally new "experimental" method of crafting spells using grimy's plugin.  The "experimental" spells behave more like vanilla spells than the "regular" spells in that you can dual cast them and they have all the proper stats show up in the UI.  The method of naming spells has been improved for both types with no funky "open the console to name your spells" workaround.  You can actually name the spell right in the spell creation menu.

But the mod is still throwing off a slew of papyrus log entries.  I posted in the nexus thread, asking the person who is now in charge of the mod what these errors were, so we will see what he says.