Elder Scrolls Online dropping subscription fee

NightStar

Just thought I'd post this here in case people haven't heard the news yet, but ESO is going free to play in March. Well, not exactly as you'll still need to purchase the game, but you can say good bye to monthly fees. They'll be putting out a new edition called "Tamriel Unlimited" containing all the material released thus far, but those who've already bought the orinal game will be able to update to the "free" version. Subscriptions will still be offered as a premium service and will include three main benefits: access to future DLC, crowns (in-game store currency) and increased XP gain. 

I remember there being a thread about ESO and its subscription model way back before its release, we pretty much unanimously doomed it to fail. Though I thought it would take longer. It didn't even take a year :P

Of course, the approaching console release (in June) might have something to do with this decision as they aren't exactly used to monthly fees...

So what do you think, will you give the game a try if you haven't yet, once it's subscription free?

I'm pretty sure I will, if I can only find the time for it.

Same, tried MMO once, wasn't convinced I would like it even before then, my feelings proved correct.

Even free of the money sinkhole subscription it holds no attraction.

With Bethesda's track record, how buggy is the game these days? Seeing as they have to actually maintain it now compared to their other games where they just release some random patches and call it a day.

Especially now they will be removing a major source of their income from the game, will they be maintaining it like they always have? Or will they be just leaving it as is and milking it as much as they can?

I might consider it if the price for the game itself is right and I have the money to buy it at the time :P

^ ditto. I never liked the idea of MMO Elder Scrolls. It totally breaks the immersion - you wait for other players to finish something or you wait for your turn to have a taste of the battle. It's just wrong. This should be entirely solitary game.
But if there's no subscription and the game becomes cheaper, I'm at least willing to try it. But I honestly hope this is the first and last ES MMO spinoff. Never again, thanks.

If they are releasing the game for consoles then it would have been a pretty dick move to ask for subscription because, on consoles, if you want to play online you have to pay - for both Xbox and PS. 

Not to mention, with how high the subscription was, not many would have went for it, considering they already have to pay a tax.

And they can't just not ask for subscription on consoles because the PC gamers would rage, and for good reason.

Even more reason to build my new PC - I will definitely buy the game now. 

And I will NOT be getting it for console because I will NEVER pay that stupid console subscription for online. That thing can get eaten by mountain lions.