Aringoth Race and Appearance

garthand

One of the USKP fixes was to correct Aringoth's race from a High Elf to a Wood Elf to match what members of the Thieves Guild call him. However, apart from the eyes, he still pretty much looks like an Altmer.

I did some messing around with the console in game and found that changing an NPCs race has pretty minimal effects on their appearance, most of the time you end up with that race's head atop whatever their original body type was.

Does anyone have any insight into why this works the way it does? Would making an NPC like Aringoth look like another race (a Bosmer, for instance), require re-modeling the entire body?

Interesting, what controls the skin color then, since he's still yellow if I make him a wood elf or a nord?

So would the fact that he's still yellow even with the USKP skin tint changes be a bug or is something else going on here?

It entirely depends on what the change was intended to do? If it was just to change race, why the concern with appearance? :P

Eh I'll just throw it in the tracker. Would be like having an orc labeled a nord, still an orc in all but name. Maybe someone knows how/why this fix was applied the way it was.

Ok, I looked in the CK and I get what you're on about now.

When his race was changed, he was given a custom yellowed skin tint instead of the more brownish wood elf skin tints. Most likely it was done this way so people would not complain about his sudden change of appearance. Little did they know 3 years later, someone would complain that his appearance didn't change. :P

I wouldn't consider this a bug. You could easily make your own mod to change his skin tint if you wanted.

Ok, that actually sounds like something I would be interesting in doing. If I looked at the skin tint settings on other wood elves, would that give me a good template/idea of the kind of settings I would want to apply to Aringoth?

Actually I think it's more a case of he got changed and the eye record was adjusted to match but nothing else was done. This was done way back in USKP 1.2.3 so it's entirely possible it could still be from transition material when we took over the project. I doubt there was much of a discussion about making him look more like a proper Bosmer or worry about whether his appearance suffered a radical change. It just is what it is at this point.

I certainly wouldn't object to completing this change properly but I'm not sure how invested anyone out there even is about this :P

It's easier than that.

Open his NPC record, go to the Character Gen Parts tab. Have a head preview showing. Highlight SkinTone.dds in the Face Tint Layers list. The the right of that, you'll see a box Face Tinting Color. The existing preset shows the yellowish one. Open the preset list dropdown and choose the five presets for WoodElfSkin to see which one you prefer. Don't forget to export the new facegen!

Actually I think it's more a case of he got changed and the eye record was adjusted to match but nothing else was done. This was done way back in USKP 1.2.3 so it's entirely possible it could still be from transition material when we took over the project. I doubt there was much of a discussion about making him look more like a proper Bosmer or worry about whether his appearance suffered a radical change. It just is what it is at this point.

I certainly wouldn't object to completing this change properly but I'm not sure how invested anyone out there even is about this :P

Uh, no, actually. I was the one who did his race switch and I deliberately made him look as close to vanilla as possible.