Riften Jail Breaking Scripts?

garthand

Just encountered a strange issue with Riften Jail. I noticed that after getting arrested Brand-Shei wasn't in jail—I did a player.moveto and found out he was floating above Bleakwind Basin, which was odd. Later, Romlyn Dreth never went to prison after being turned in. I started to realize the commonality was scripts here, so I went and tried to use the Riften jail escape door and nothing happened. The only error in my papyrus log related to the Riften Jail door, too.

[01/10/2015 - 01:10:50AM] Error: Cannot call Activate() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[ (000EC3E0)].dunRiftenJailOpenCellDoor.OnActivate() - "dunRiftenJailOpenCellDoor.psc" Line 6
[01/10/2015 - 01:10:50AM] Warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp2"
stack:
[ (000EC3E0)].dunRiftenJailOpenCellDoor.OnActivate() - "dunRiftenJailOpenCellDoor.psc" Line 6

On a new save, things work fine. After playing for some time, everything with a script that uses the Riften Jail cell seems to be going to hell.

Any ideas on what this could be?

EDIT: For what it's worth, I loaded up all of my mods in TES5Edit and none of them seem to be modifying EC3E0.

What the heck? So this script/door not working is causing NPCs to not appear in jail?

I'm not sure the door is the thing causing the NPC bugs as much as some unknown variable is causing both the door and NPC bugs. I have my suspicions that it's related to cell resets but I need to do more testing.

Ok so after some more testing I can confirm this isn't a cell reset issue: it can happen before 10 days even pass. Even stranger, it can occur before you even go to Riften (or the jail) for the first time, as I tried a save after 6 days of in-game playing, went to Riften, and the door/cells were already broken. This makes pretty much no sense.

Conditions to reproduce (all of the below):

1. Vanilla start
  2. Go to Riverwood after Helgen, reach stage 50 of MQ102
  3. Wait until the 19th of Last Seed
  4. Go to Riften Jail

Conditions to avoid (any one of the below):

• Don't use vanilla start
  • Wait until the 19th to reach MQ102 stage 50
  • Visit Riften before the 19th of Last Seed
  • Reach MQ102 stage 50 and reach Riften before the 19th of Last Seed
  • Go straight to Balgruuf and skip MQ102 stage 50

EDIT: This seems to reliably reproduce the shackle problem. Still working on figuring out why Brand-Shei/Romlyn Dreth don't work.

I'm starting to see why people call Skyrim "the greatest beta ever made." Trying to consistently reproduce any kind of issue is ridiculously challenging. I have the same save file where about 2/3 of the time the shackle isn't working, but 1/3 of the time it is. Here's a save outside the jail where the shackle is always broken. (Just the Unofficial Patches and Bashed Patch installed)

Some more info that may or may not be relevant: when the shackle escape door is working, it has RefID A8F38. When it's broken/invisible, it has RefID A8DCD. Interesting to note that it keeps the refID A8F38 even after it has been activated and reset to a static, non-interactable position.

Well here's another oddity. Get to stage 50 on MQ102 like usual. You don't need to bother to go to Riften at all to verify if the shackle will be there or not.

prid 4118f

getdisabled

If that returns 0, the shackle is there. If it returns 1, the shackle is not there.

So SOMETHING is causing the enable marker that controls the secret exit to get disabled. Thing is, the CK says no scripts are referencing the enable marker. Only the stuff in the activation chain. Nothing in that chain has update events running on them.

Garth, see if this solves the problem or not:

The fix works and is non-retroactive.

I do get the following error after opening the escape door but I don't know that anything can be done about it since it's one of those none errors.

[01/11/2015 - 11:12:35AM] error: Cannot call Activate() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[01/11/2015 - 11:12:35AM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp2"
stack:

Thanks for all the work you've put into this!

I need to learn more about how Skyrim works, with all the issues I have myself I'd love to be able to track them down like you guys do. My method right now is nothing but a waste of time :P

So wait, this fixes the problem of it disabling on the 19th? How weird. I mean, I kind of hoped it would just because Skyrim sorcery being what it is. Especially since there's no scripts that could be making it toggle on its own that the CK could find.

With the fix I did you shouldn't be getting that error anymore either so I don't know why that happened. You sure you put the script in the right place? :P

Ok, checked this time to make sure the script was in the scripts folder and the esp in the data folder. I may have spoken too soon. This fixed the issue of it disabling on the 19th on a test save I made before that date yesterday, but when I used it on a new save I reproduced the bug again. However, instead of the old error, I instead got 

warning: Property RiftenJailSecretExitLightEnableMarker2 on script dunRiftenJailEscape attached to  (000E82CB) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property

Well here's another oddity. Get to stage 50 on MQ102 like usual. You don't need to bother to go to Riften at all to verify if the shackle will be there or not.

prid 4118f

getdisabled

If that returns 0, the shackle is there. If it returns 1, the shackle is not there.

So SOMETHING is causing the enable marker that controls the secret exit to get disabled. Thing is, the CK says no scripts are referencing the enable marker. Only the stuff in the activation chain. Nothing in that chain has update events running on them.

I did some more digging and it looks like stage 50 of MQ102 is supposed to go off whether the layer stops in Riverwood or not, based on stage 55 of MQ102B:

; turn on Civil War when player leaves/ignores Riverwood
MQ102.SetStage(50)

What exactly makes the 19th of Last Seed so special? :unsure:

This must be the most weirdest bug ever in Skyrim, which could explain why the CW seems to be messed up.

What exactly makes the 19th of Last Seed so special? :unsure:

This must be the most weirdest bug ever in Skyrim, which could explain why the CW seems to be messed up.

That might all be a coincidence, Arth's latest test fix strongly suggests the issue is that NPCs are trying to perform their daily routines while Riften is still licked down before you get there (because of that "visitor tax" dialogue), and so are taking wonky ways out of the city. Preventing them from using the escape door seems to fix the issue.

One last test file. Uninstall the old one. Put this in. Start a fresh game and do the usual.

Then go see if the shackle is there. All this does is set the activation property on the escape door and show you a message prompt for who did it.

If this works it'll go in for USKP 2.0.9.

jailtest.7z

One last test file. Uninstall the old one. Put this in. Start a fresh game and do the usual.

Then go see if the shackle is there. All this does is set the activation property on the escape door and show you a message prompt for who did it.

If this works it'll go in for USKP 2.0.9.

I'll give this a shot after work today. Is it safe to assume the message prompt bit won't be in USKP 2.0.9? Wouldn't want players to receive a message from their own use :P

Ok, I waited until the 20th to hit up Riften, and I received activate messages for 19DDF 19DD8 and 19DD7, but the door worked as intended. Nice fix for this obscure bug!  :banana: