I would like to do a major contribution to the community.

Leonardo

These posts in this thread mention about what status the Morrowind Patch Project has and I completely agree with all of them, because I have exactly the same impression too about what disarray the current patching has.

Please note that this is not a direct complaint towards qourn or any of the past author(s) in any way, who have done a great work for the whole community over the years. Thank you to all authors of MPP/UMP. :love-tes:

To post... or not to post... ok I'll post :P

I don't normally poke my head into things over here, content just to play MW when the mood strikes. So take this for what it's worth.

Morrowind modding appears to be rather fragmented when compared to Oblivion or Skyrim (or the Fallouts too). There's a lot of stuff to install to get the game up to speed on a modern system. There's several different tools for doing things. Manual installs for mods appear to still be the way of things for the most part. So you're running into the problem where people coming from OB or Skyrim are looking at the complexity involved, the apparent lack of coherence, and they're just going "NOPE!"

One prime example that I've noticed. The unofficial patches. For OB and Skyrim, they're essential mods for the game. Both projects enjoy a relatively well organized presence and pretty much everyone knows where to get help, where to download them from, and who to report problems to. From what I can see, that's simply not the case for MW. There have been times when I've gone through several pages of forum threads to find out what's going on with what used to be the MPP, only to find there's several forks of the project, arguing between them, and nobody linking to where you actually get them from. That's made it difficult for *ME* to find much about it, and I'd like to think I'm on the more advanced side of things. Imagine how a new person who has been told "get the unofficial patch" feels when they can't even find it?

Promoting the game on other forums, Youtube, Nexus, etc will help, sure, but the fragmentation that exists ALSO needs to be solved so people know where to go to find answers. Directing everyone here to the official site won't always cut it. You'd be surprised how many Skyrim users don't even know Bethesda HAS an official forum for anything.

Just one semi-outsiders view on things :)

And I wholeheartedly agree with what Arthmoor said about the state of patching for Morrowind. It's a complete dog's dinner.

This is the biggest issue I've noticed with regards to the differences in the Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim modding scenes. Whether we like it or not, the newer games' communities tend to go through more effort to make the user's experience simple and supported what with the automatic installers and whatnot. A new user needs to be able to stumble into here and have a proper, up to date, idea as to what basic mods they should install and how. The biggest pain imo has been the very fragmented unofficial patches. There's so many versions of the MPP out there, there's no one concerted effort to develop it. Ideally I think Morrowind needs an Unofficial Morrowind Patch (following the current naming tradition) that is handled by many users. Another thing is that it needs to be limited in it's changes so that it only contains fixes. I've seen many cases of versions containing gameplay changes that the author/s thought "should" have been, but were not part of the original game.
Regardless, the main thing, imo, that needs updating (if not in content then in documentation) are the "essential" mods, basic tools and installers, basic patches. Basically the mods most new players will be automatically directed to when trying out modding for the first time. How are they supposed to step inside this community if they can't get through the gateway?

Very true. Who is in charge of MPP? Is it Quorn?

Before I continue I will first give brucoms an answer for a very valid question; "I don't know for sure who is in charge. However I do know that quorn are the one who is active at the moment, so I guess that he is in charge."

Now you may ask why all this fuss and my reason for doing that I too want to contribute to the community in any way I can. So here is what I would like to offer to the Morrowind modding community.

I both can and will offer my site Sovngarde (it's not much to see there right now for several reasons) to be a permanent home for as Mistahtokyo suggested it - Unofficial Morrowind Patch - to be a place for further maintenance, which includes a separate UMP-team forum for discussions, intensive testing, releasing new versions etc etc. However doing that brings up another matter though that I need to mention about and that is about myself.

I am not a modder in general speaking and will probably never be one, but who knows for sure and my destiny as a modder is written in a crystal ball. This is one of my not so good side, but I do have other good sides too.

One of them is that I do have some basic knowledge about phpBB forum software, which is the same as GHF forum has today except for the customizations that Fliggerty has there. There is also a reason why I mention Fliggerty in all this, because I once had my site hosted on GHF server and that was about 2-3 years ago I think. Today is Sovngarde hosted in Sweden.

Another positive side that I have is that I know how to document e.g picture(s) an issue in-game despite for not having a good English a least I can make myself understood in most cases.

I also have average knowledge about how some mod user tools e.g Wrye Mash, mlox, TESPCD works and what purpose each tools has.

Like I said earlier in this post about my site is that I both can and will open up Sovngarde and let it be accessible, or if so desire, also move Sovngarde to GHF as soon as possible if I got a green light from Fliggerty, so let say I could do that anytime Sovngarde will be up and running as a permanent home for UMP within 3 days.

Feel free to post your comments/suggestions in this thread about the future for the Unofficial Morrowind Patch. Thanks for reading. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting Leo .. MW is my first love and will always be. I`ve seen more current references to this lately and hope that this project comes to fruition.  :pints: