Skyrim Alchemy Potion Glitches

Shadowblade

Hi,

I was trying to post this to TracDown for the USKP project, but the forum says I don't have permission for some reason.

So I thought I'd post it here for comments and discussion until I can get in to TracDown.

Skyrim Alchemy Potion Glitches
In Skyrim’s Alchemical poisons, “Damage†is an All-or-Nothing, one-off single dose effect. You either Resist Poison or you take the Poison “Damageâ€.

“Lingering Damage†should probably be a low level damage per second over an increasing Duration, but it was never implemented like that. “Lingering Damage†is actually a diluted “Ravage†effect per second for 10 seconds.

“Lingering Damage†does Damage per second over time, so it is actually a Drain effect (what used to be called Continuous Damage), as opposed to a simple, one-off Damage effect.

“Ravage†is a concentrated dose that has a higher level Drain per second for 10 seconds.

The Duration of “Lingering Damage†and “Ravage†are the same. “Damage†has no duration, just a single-dose hit.

So, although USKP changes some of the descriptions for these effects for Damage, Lingering Damage and Ravage Health/Magicka/Stamina, there are still some errors.

AlchDamageHealth 0003EB42
Drains the target's Health by <mag> points.
SHOULD BE
Damages the target's Health by <mag> points.

AlchDamageMagicka 0003A2B6
Drains the target's Magicka by <mag> points.
SHOULD BE
Damages the target's Magicka by <mag> points.

AlchDamageStamina 0003A2C6
Drains the target's Stamina by <mag> points.
SHOULD BE
Damages the target's Stamina by <mag> points.

Ravage is actually a Concentrated Lingering Damage (Drain) effect. It is not like older Drain spells in Morrowind where an attribute Drain was temporary. The attribute is drained by a set amount per second for 10 seconds. It is not drained by a set amount in one hit and then restored after 10 seconds.

AlchDamageHealthRavage 00073F26
Concentrated poison damages Health by <mag> points for <dur> seconds.
SHOULD BE
Concentrated poison drains Health by <mag> points per second for <dur> seconds.

AlchDamageMagickaRavage 00073F27
Concentrated poison damages Magicka by <mag> points for <dur> seconds..
SHOULD BE
Concentrated poison drains Magicka by <mag> points per second for <dur> seconds.

AlchDamageStaminaRavage 00076F23
Concentrated poison damages Stamina by <mag> points for <dur> seconds.
SHOULD BE
Concentrated poison drains Stamina by <mag> points per second for <dur> seconds.

The Lingering Damage entries are actually correct:

AlchDamageHealthDuration 0010AA4A
Drains the target's Health by <mag> points per second for <dur> seconds..

AlchDamageMagickaDuration 0010DE5F
Drains the target's Magicka by <mag> points per second for <dur> seconds.

AlchDamageStaminaDuration 0010DE5E
Drains the target's Stamina by <mag> points per second for <dur> seconds.

The durations for Lingering Damage and Ravage are always 10 seconds and the potency increases with skill score and perks. Although a mod could change that via the CK (EG making Lingering Damage always have the same drain effect but last longer with skills and perks).

I only noticed this as I was working on and off on an Alchemy mod (unreleased) for a few months and someone just posted something about how the text in the game did not seem to match what the poisons were doing. They are not using my mod as it is unreleased and only about four trusted people have it as play testers. In my mod, I have changed the name of "Lingering Damage Attribute" to "Drain Attribute", but that is by the by.

Cheers!

~.~

Everyone who's registered and logged in can post issues into the TracDown, one just needs to choose a green sub-category under the Unofficial Skyrim Patch first.

However, that being said, I've gone over your post and edited the relevant potion descriptions. Namely:

AlchDamage{Health,Stamina,Magicka}: Drains -> Damages

AlchDamage{Health,Stamina,Magicka}Ravage: damages -> drains, points for -> points per second for

I also made a tracker issue for it, Bug #14463.

One thing I noticed while making the corrections was that AlchDamageHealth's ingredients all have an effect duration of 1 second while all the ingredients with the effects for AlchDamageMagicka or AlchDamageStamina have 0 duration. Should this be considered a bug or a design decision?

Thanks for that.

I'm not sure if the duration matters except maybe for the selling value of the potion. As it's an all-or-nothing, one-shot effect, zero is probably correct. I don't think there is NO damage with a zero duration.

Durations are usually for things that actually have a duration, like Invisibility or damage per second for x seconds.

~.~

That's what I was thinking (that it probably shouldn't have 1s duration). Potions with zero duration do cause damage. The fact that it was consistent across all the ingredients was what stopped me from changing it right away. Maybe there's a reason they did it that way?

• 3 months later...

I also noticed there are inconsistent "Base Cost" values on these effects.

AlchDamageHealth 0003EB42

AlchDamageMagicka 0003A2B6

AlchDamageStamina 0003A2C6

AlchDamageHealthRavage 00073F26

AlchDamageMagickaRavage 00073F27

AlchDamageStaminaRavage 00076F23

AlchDamageHealthDuration 0010AA4A

AlchDamageMagickaDuration 0010DE5F

AlchDamageStaminaDuration 0010DE5E

To me these values make no sense.

That makes the cost of the crafted poisons like this

ravage health < damage health < lingering health