NPCs Talking When Asleep?

Shadowblade

I recently burgled Arcadia's Cauldron at around midnight and I was surprised that the fire was raging, all the lights, candles and lanterns were burning and Arcadia did her usual dialogue about Ataxia and her product line, even though she was upstairs in bed sleeping.

I don't know if this is mod-related or a Vanilla bug, but thought I'd mention it.

Anyone else notice this sort of thing about NPC dialogues firing when they are sleeping?

Cheers!

~.~

I recently burgled Arcadia's Cauldron at around midnight and I was surprised that the fire was raging, all the lights, candles and lanterns were burning and Arcadia did her usual dialogue about Ataxia and her product line, even though she was upstairs in bed sleeping.

I don't know if this is mod-related or a Vanilla bug, but thought I'd mention it.

Anyone else notice this sort of thing about NPC dialogues firing when they are sleeping?

Cheers!

~.~

I've noticed this bug too. I don't know if it is another engine issue (like eyes not blinking) that came with 1.9 or not. Vantus Loreius was doing this while sleeping in his farm house, while I was engaging in his dialgoue with the "Delayed Burial" quest a while back. I also noticed that Verner Rock-Chucker was talking while sleeping in his bed, when I was delivering Sylgja's satchel to him. I thought that this was kind of funny, but disturbing at the same time.

Pretty sure this has been happening (with Arcadia) for a long time, maybe back to 11/11/11, so probably not (for once) Patch 1.9 related.

It's a vanilla bug, and most likely an engine bug. I actually noticed it while I was playing through Falskaar. It was kinda creepy.

It's a vanilla bug that's been around for ages. I think we had tickets for Arcadia and Belethor but closed them as engine issues because we couldn't find a cause.

Id agree it was an engine bug but just confused how only a few npcs suffer from it :S

Same sleep action for all adults so why some are differant is strange

Id agree it was an engine bug but just confused how only a few npcs suffer from it :S

Same sleep action for all adults so why some are differant is strange

I think it could possibly be happening to more than just a few select NPCs. I just don't think people have noticed it yet (since it isn't exactly predictable when a given NPC will do it). Like I mentioned in an above post, Vantus Loreius and Vernar Rock-Chucker were talking in their sleep (as if they were awake) in my game recently.

I've certainly seen him sleeping on thin air, but he wasn't talking. Maybe "Out of Balance" has something to do with it (the onscreen text is part of that quest) because I wasn't doing that quest at the time.

This could all be part of a larger issue - NPCs starting to say their lines when you get close enough then repeating the same lines when you "talk" to them. May also be related to this thread in the generic sense of NPCs "talking over" both the voice and text of the NPC you're actually talking/listening to. Just had Rune say "Good Morning" over the top of Karliah asking you to meet her at the Standing Stone. Realistic it might be, but it's also rather irritating.

I saw another NPC doing this again; this time I remembered to take a screenshot. This is kind of amusing and disturbing at the same time.

The sleeping in thin air is probably caused by the bed or wrongly placed marker, so that should get a bug report.

As for NPCs talking in their sleep, that's most likely an engine issue that we can't fix.

The sleeping in thin air is probably caused by the bed or wrongly placed marker, so that should get a bug report.

As for NPCs talking in their sleep, that's most likely an engine issue that we can't fix.

Okay, I'll add the bug report for Drevis' bed as soon as I get a chance. (added bug #14161)

Nico coin seems to think the sleeping in thin air thing is an engine issue, because he's experienced it before. I'm starting to think he's correct, because I saw Atub doing the same thing today (screenshot). Additionally, I saw a Riften Guard sitting in thin air, having a drink a while back (screenshot).

I'm also thinking it's going to be hard or potentially impossible to reproduce these issues, because Atub in the screenshot above, was lying in her bed normally after I exited the Largushbur Longhouse and then re-entered.

The thing with Atub in her bed is definitely an engine issue. Other NPCs have been known to show that behavior in the past. It's not very common at least.

The guard floating in thin air? That has to be the result of a mod conflict. There are no markers of any sort along the boardwalks of Riften that could cause that.

This is probably out-of-topic, but as you're mentionning it...

Pete pointed-out the Riften guard floating in thin air issue here. I'm having the problem, too. Civil war ended, empire side. As I have very few mods installed I'll check all of them.

Is there a mean to get the ID of the 'supposed' marker ?

RiftenSoldier1.jpg

RiftenSoldier2.jpg

I see that sort of thing from time to time with probably every restart I have done in the last 20 months. Woodcutters with no axe, tanner's with no knife, Imperial Couriers appearing at a castle for no reason and floating off the ground, bears up to their bellies in the soil, NPC lips not moving when they talk etc.

It's a TES game, so what do I expect? 99.999999 recurring % of the time it doesn't happen. Whether it's an engine bug or some mod conflict, I don't know.

~.~

Well, I checked. No surprise, none of my mods alters the cell RiftenOrigin (00042247)...  :shrug:  Only USKP and Hearthfire alters it. USKP for placement fixes, and HF adding some references (at least 1 marker unrelated to the issue). The 2 closest objects are the Idle Marker RiftenGuardPatrolBWaypoint03 (00045AA4) and the Furniture TG00BribedGuardWaitMarker (00074957). I clearly don't see any valid reason to explain that.

Is there a mean to get the ID of the 'supposed' marker ?

Or, maybe the error lies in the guard AI/Packages ?

• 5 months later...

The NPCs talking while asleep should be fixed for USKP 2.0.4. Turned out that several sleep packages had flags allowing them to talk. (Bug #15567)