Bug? Well it bugs me any way...

IsharaMeradin

Not sure what search terms to use in the TracDown.  Hard to find anything there unless it I have a specific form ID name or number...

Anyway, the situation is this:

When you are being tasked with going to Bleak Falls Barrow and you have not already retrieved the Dragonstone, Farangar and Jarl Balgruf will talk over top of each other.  This happens at any point when you exit the dialog with Farangar.  Those dialog topics that prompt Farangar to exit the dialog do not cause the two to overlap.

The Jarl is trying to impart the importance of the mission.  Farangar's line is what he is to say whenever you've talked to him and have not yet finished this quest. He should not be saying that line at all until after the remainder of the scene plays out.

I think that would be an engine bug.
Tulius has the same issue at the start of the game, he says: Guards get the townpeople... (to safety) Then Alduin says Ro Da.
The only way to fix those issues as far as I know is to find an skse mod that fixes what USKP cannot.

The Dunmer Imperial Officer also says:

"Guards! What can you see!?"

"It's in the clouds!"

When Alduin is already sitting on top of the tower.

I don't think it is an engine bug.  If you look at the scene, both Balgruf and Farengar perform properly.  Farengar simply says some line when conversation is exited.  The line should not play during the scene but should at any other point.

Dialog is one of my weaker points so I'm not exactly sure what needs to be done, but it seems that a check of some sort is in order.

The situations the two of you mention are all scripted within their respective scenes rather than a non-scene dialog competing with scene dialog.  Not that much of a problem unless the non-scene dialog is coming from a scene participant (as in this case), then it doesn't make sense. 

The Dunmer Imperial Officer also says:

"Guards! What can you see!?"

"It's in the clouds!"

When Alduin is already sitting on top of the tower.

It's actually: Sentries, what do you see? (I have save 001 before i'm asked to step forward)

I did have that happen when I ask farengar before balgruuf comes in.

I don't think it is an engine bug. <snip>

If you think that it could be fixed, then you should make a tracdown issue out of it as things mentioned on the forums get lost/forgotten pretty easily.

It's probably a scene timing issue but the execution scene in Helgen is extremely sensitive and often doesn't come away for the better when it's tinkered with. There may not be anything we can do given how much is going on at that time.

If you think that it could be fixed, then you should make a tracdown issue out of it as things mentioned on the forums get lost/forgotten pretty easily.

I don't know if there are any rules regarding adding things to tracdown or not.  I've not been able to add any issues, I've only been able to make comments.  I figured there was some kind of lock in place till a user got X number of posts or something.

It's probably a scene timing issue but the execution scene in Helgen is extremely sensitive and often doesn't come away for the better when it's tinkered with. There may not be anything we can do given how much is going on at that time.

If you would look at the scene and play the game you would know what I'm talking about.

Scene MQ103IntroScene on quest MQ103

Everything in that scene plays as it should.  Nothing is wrong with the scene.

The problem is if you exit conversation with Farengar after any conversation topic that does not end with him exiting the conversation, he says some line that is not part of the scene and at the same time as Jarl Balgruf.

In looking further into this (to ensure I had my ID names correct), Farengar has two possible "goodbye" lines that he can say.  Both check for stage 50 to be done and stage 180 to not yet be done.  However stage 60 is where Balgruf is allowed to walk away (thus the scene is over).  Since the player is in conversation with Farengar and the scene finishes when they exit, it seems logical that those two "goodbye" lines (under misc tab) should be checking for stage 60 instead of stage 50.

Wait. You need to get straight what's being discussed here. I read something about the execution in Helgen and you're talking about a totally unrelated scene in Dragonsreach that happens much later.

Wait. You need to get straight what's being discussed here. I read something about the execution in Helgen and you're talking about a totally unrelated scene in Dragonsreach that happens much later.

No you need to READ!

The first post was about the scene in Dragonsreach.  The other people thought it was just some engine bug and gave examples of Helgen.  I have been trying to keep this on Dragonsreach the whole time.  I cannot help it if others interject other things.  I am not a moderator and I cannot edit their posts.

Anyone registered on the site has the right to add new issues, there are no post limits or anything like that. You just have to choose the appropriate category under Unofficial Skyrim Patch and one of its green subcategories. There are limitations on where you can add new issues, eg. you cannot post issues without choosing category.

Anyone registered on the site has the right to add new issues, there are no post limits or anything like that. You just have to choose the appropriate category under Unofficial Skyrim Patch and one of its green subcategories. There are limitations on where you can add new issues, eg. you cannot post issues without choosing category.

How about some easily accessible instructions?  Haven't found anything that indicates the proper usage of tracdown.  Haven't found anything to notifiy oneself of added comments to tracdown entries that have been commented on.  Searching for anything on tracdown is tricky at best.  It is almost easier to scan the change log pages and get the bug tracker number and use the little box link at the top of the change log page.  Problem with that is that not all change log issues necessarily reflect data that is readily available when a possible issue arises with the game.

But we are straying off topic.... yet again.

Tracdown is where bug reports belong though. As NightStar said, leaving them on the forums is likely to result in them being lost in the ether when we start collecting for the next update.

We're just as frustrated with some of the... shall we say... lack of refinement in Tracdown. One takes the good with the bad when dealing with paid IPB apps though.

I've encountered this issue with NPCs talking over each other in countless situations, including those mentioned in above posts. I have to agree it is pretty annoying and that would great is someone could find a way to fix it.

I don't know if there are any rules regarding adding things to tracdown or not.  I've not been able to add any issues, I've only been able to make comments.  I figured there was some kind of lock in place till a user got X number of posts or something.

TracDown was extremely confusing to me at first too. Try the following:

Click on TracDown (top right on screen) -> Click on Unofficial Skyrim Patch tab (the tab is on AFK mods by default) -> Choose a category type for the bug (they're in green text) -> click Add Issue

A form should pop up so that you can fill out the report; click submit when you are done.

As for getting notified when new comment is added to a bug, you can click the Follow button on the issue's page. It's located on the right hand side, above the floating "Issue Timeline". You can change your notification preferences in My Settings - Notification Preferences to choose what to get notified for and how.

Ishara's post came before mine, I was just comparing the Helgen one to Farengar and balgruuf. I know what the issue at hand is. One npc is doing ending dialogue while another starts talking immediately after exiting conversation.

The Jarl is trying to impart the importance of the mission.  Farangar's line is what he is to say whenever you've talked to him and have not yet finished this quest. He should not be saying that line at all until after the remainder of the scene plays out.

I just did this scene in my latest restart and when I exited talking to Farengar, the Jarl starts telling me how important the mission is and Farengar immediately says something like "You schtill here? Be off with you to Bleak Fallsh Barrow." over the top of him.

Then, when the Jarl finishes and I talk to Farengar to buy something, he says it again. I don't think he should say it when Balgruuf is there, just when you hang about and go back to talk to him, like to buy something.

Funny, I never noticed before, so I don't know if this a recent thing caused by patch 1.9 or something else.

It has been there since I got the game (around patch 1.5 I think).  Which is why I always went and did Bleak Falls Barrow first cause it was so annoying.  I have found a resolution tho.  It isn't perfect as I don't feel safe modifying all the generic goodbye statements for Farengar's voice type.  But for his longer specific statements, it works well.

Tracker #14149