Imperial soldiers taking R&R. In Whiterun?

Screwball

I've seen them in that same exact spot before. That was back when I was playing on the 360 though. I wonder if there's some sort of spawn point right there, because that is where vampire attacks spawn and also where the courier will hang out if he brings you a message while you're in (or near) the city.

Once had some random Wizard spawn there offerring me a magical brawl. Never seen soldiers before though, and they'd disappeared after I fast-travelled away then came back. Must be a spawn point there, but I'd have though it would only be used for "appropriate" spawns (pure guesswork, ofc).

The wizards actually shouldn't spawn in cities either. The last thing he's saying when the guards kill him (as ususal): "But we wanted to use only magic ... "

That specific spot is where the CenterLocation marker is for WhiterunLocation. So it's entirely possible that something CAN spawn an encounter there. Easily verified - use the console to click on one of those soldiers. If their ID starts with FF, they were spawned there (or by some nearby encounter and walked here).

FF000941, FF000D9C and FF000EB4. I have the savegame, if required.

They were there when I fast-travelled to Whiterun, they were still there after I'd been inside Warmaidens, they disappeared after FT-ing away and back again.

Should there be a list which could be tested against to prevent this kind of spawn from occuring? Or is it so rare (only the two occasions that I can recall) that it's not worth the hassle?

My guess is, it's a normal wilderness encounter. I've had 3 Stormcloak soldiers (I sided with the Stormcloaks in the CW) wander into Whiterun just like that and have also come across them out on the roads. They eventually go away. Doesn't seem unusual to me they'd drop by a city to replenish supplies. :shrug:

I've come across small groups from both sides many times - in the wilderness, just never inside a city before, which why I though it "a bit odd" :)

With the way the wilderness encounters work, this isn't that surprising. I don't think there's anything to worry about here.

Could result in a bit of a mess if the Stormcloaks "own" Whiterun ;)

I didn't think it was really a problem, more in the "odd things which happen" category :)

>Could result in a bit of a mess if the Stormcloaks "own" Whiterun ;)

>I didn't think it was really a problem, more in the "odd things which happen" category :)

>This did happen once for me actually. The Whiterun Stormcloak guards made quick work of the three Imperial soldiers.

> I agree with this. I have had several world encounters (like this) spawn inside Whiterun. I've also seen several world encounter spawn in the various inns in the game, including the farmer couple who had their home burned down by a dragon, Talsgar the Wanderer, and even a random unnamed NPCs (like "Orc" or "Redguard") who says "What's a milk drinker like you doing out here? Go home to your mother."

The problem with them ocurring inside the cities is the same problem which "When Vampires Attack" and "Run For Your Lives" address - namely that innocent bystanders could get caught up in the ensuing mayhem and killed.