Levelled Lists and Merchant Chests

Shadowblade

I have made a few mods that work well that I am pleased with, but they are not released as I don't know if I would have the time or skill to support them properly if they screwed up other mods.

But I'd like to know what is the best way to get new items into levelled lists and merchant and apothecary chests? I'd like to make my mods properly so that when I share them with friends they will work with other mods, especially if I ever upload them to The Nexus.

I have made a few Alchemy books and a lot of potions which can be brewed with Alchemy but they do not appear in-game as there were no ALCH for them in the CK. So I made a bunch of potions and I can make levelled lists for them, but how do I get these into merchant and apothecary chests without editing the lists or chests themselves?

I have read that editing levelled lists and chests is not a good way to go and you need to use an ADDFORM function or something, but I have no idea how to do this.

Please answer like I am five.

Cheers!

~.~

The problem with the scripted approach is that the modified leveled lists are not saved and they will reset to their vanilla state each time a game is loaded (unlike in Oblivion, where the modification was permanent). There were rumours about a fix to this behaviour in a previous official patch, but the sad truth is that it still doesn't work.

Flip, so how would I do this?

Is it still impossible to create a secondary chest and assign that to the merchants and apothecaries?

~.~

Creating a second chest with the items for sale in it used to work fine in Oblivion - the UOP even exploited this to fix a bug with the Dark Brotherhood merchant.

I'm not sure it that tactic works for Skyrim or not as I haven't had any reason to need to try yet.

Editing leveled lists isn't that big of a deal, just have people build a bashed patch in Wrye Bash to resolve the conflicts. Bash may not be up to par for all of its old duties, but the one basic thing it was originally conceived for was exactly this problem, and it still works flawlessly for that.

• Like 1

Editing leveled lists isn't that big of a deal, just have people build a bashed patch in Wrye Bash to resolve the conflicts. Bash may not be up to par for all of its old duties, but the one basic thing it was originally conceived for was exactly this problem, and it still works flawlessly for that.

Do you mean something like what Bash tags Fligg's Barrels and Crates mod had?

• Barrels and Crates.esp Active
    • Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}

Yes, though it isn't always necessary to use tags. Bash will merge lists that contain only additions without having to tag anything.

BOSS only knows what it's been told, and if that particular mod is changing levels on items in a list, the Relev tag would be appropriate for that.

Creating a second chest with the items for sale in it used to work fine in Oblivion - the UOP even exploited this to fix a bug with the Dark Brotherhood merchant.

I'm not sure it that tactic works for Skyrim or not as I haven't had any reason to need to try yet.

I read somewhere that it just doesn't work - or at least didn't work at first. Maybe an update to Skyrim or the CK fixed it?

I did edit some levelled lists and made some new ones, but every time I try something new I find I am in Novice Land again. And the CK Wiki doesn't make it easy to find what you need to know quickly.

I was beginning to think that Wrye bash would be needed for the lists as I see those sorts of things in BOSS all the time, but have never used it. So I downloaded it and also found this new mod on the Nexus that recommends using Wrye bash and TES5Edit to make a merged Master.esm to contain the levelled lists etc.

Do you have any idea if this would be the best way to go?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/34000//

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq1qdH2-k3c

It does seem to make using mods a lot more technical, though. In Morrowind I just dropped esp files in and out at will. Oblivion I didn't like as much but did use some really good Ranger and Druid mods.

Who knows what I have been missing by not using Wrye Bash? But I think I will from now on.

Cheers, Arthmoor

~.~