[Skyrim] Fixing Navmesh Deletion Using TES5Edit

Arthmoor

This guide will explain the process of how to fix a duplicated or deleted navmesh caused by either a bug in the CK or by accidentally merging two or more navmesh islands.

Problem

The CK reports errors similar to this:

PATHFINDING: NavMesh in cell Pinewood (Tamriel[-18,16]) should be refinalized, there are navmesh bounds missing

The errors will be listed in the EditorWarnings.txt file in your Skyrim folder.

Cause

1. You deleted a vanilla navmesh using the cell window in the CK.

2. You accidentally merged two navmeshes the CK listed as islands.

In either case, if the error being shows is consistent, you have a vanilla navmesh that's been deleted.

Solution

This can be fixed relatively easily with TES5Edit. Note the cell(s) being reported in the warnings file. You'll need to track them down.

The easiest way to go about this is to open the CK, find each of the cells you're working with, and gather up their form IDs. You can get the form ID of a cell by hovering over the name in the left hand side of the cell window.

FixNavmeshPic1.jpg

Keep the CK open and load the file in TES5Edit. At the top left is a box to search for form IDs. Enter one of them into the box and press enter. You'll be taken to the location in Skyrim.esm where the ID exists.

FixNavmeshPic2.jpg

CTRL+Left Click on the name of your cell in your file and you'll be taken to the location in your mod where the form is edited.

FixNavmeshPic3.jpg

Expand the tree so you can see your navmesh data listed.

FixNavmeshPic4.jpg

In the CK, look at the form ID for the navmeshes. This is going to take some knowledge of what you've done and will be the hardest part of all this. In the case of the Pinewood example, you want the very first one that shows the largest number of triangles.

FixNavmeshPic5.jpg

In TES5Edit, note the form ID highlighted in yellow that starts with 00. Notice in the righthand pane it is listed as deleted. Write this form ID down.

FixNavmeshPic6.jpg

Now on the left pane, right click on this entry and select remove. You will be warned to think about what you're doing. Say yes, and you'll get a second prompt asking if you're sure this record is the one you want to remove. Say yes again. You should be seeing something like this now:

FixNavmeshPic7.jpg

Now right click on the form ID for the navmesh you want to fix (in this case 01022CC9) and select "change form ID". When asked to input the new ID, replace it with the ID of the vanilla navmesh you just removed (in this case 000F26C0). After pressing enter, you maybe presented with a box that looks like this:

FixNavmeshPic8.jpg

Right click on one of the entries that's showing and "select all", then hit OK. This box is asking this because other records refer to the navmesh and need to be updated so they match. You'll get a second prompt saying they were successfully updated. Hit OK again. It's this phase here that the CK doesn't handle correctly when removing navmeshes via its own details screen and results in the CK crashing trying to reload the mod. It doesn't update all these records properly.

Congratulations, this navmesh is now fixed! If this was the only one you needed to correct, you can close the CK and TES5Edit now and save the file when prompted. All of your data will be perfectly preserved but will now be editing the proper navmesh.

If you have more navmeshes to fix, repeat the procedure for those as well. Once you've done a few of these it will become a lot easier to deal with. Ideally of course we shouldn't have to do this at all but at least now it can be done safely.

Once you are done fixing any other navmeshes you need to fix, you need to load the mod into the CK and save it so the internal navmesh info table is updated properly. Only the CK can do this. Once done, everything will be working as expected.

• Like 2

Had to do this several times for my own village mod. I've already got the procedure down, but that is more or less what you do.

Thanks for putting it to pap... er, pixels.

It was a plague for Open Cities too and took some time to work out how to go about this since the CK can't undelete a navmesh without crashing itself.

• 4 months later...

This is the best I'm able to do, me and making videos doesn't work so well :P

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. Sorry to BUMP this thread, but I'm dealing with Bluecreek Estate.esp mod. When I use LOOT to sort my load order, it comes up with this warning message for Bluecreek Estate.esp:

Bluecreek Estate.esp
CRC: 194EC42B

• Warning: This file contains 18 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.

So I ended up here, following all the instructions to a T, up until I got to this section:

In the CK, look at the form ID for the navmeshes. This is going to take some knowledge of what you've done and will be the hardest part of all this. In the case of the Pinewood example, you want the very first one that shows the largest number of triangles.

I'm totally lost on how to choose which one is the right navmesh/Form ID to pick. In my case, I was trying to fix the first navmesh error from the EditorWarnings.txt file which read :

PATHFINDING: NavMesh in cell DragonLair03Exterior (Tamriel[-4,-13]) should be refinalized, there are navmesh bounds missing

Navmesh1_zpsa838e0dd.jpg

As you can see in the jpeg there are a total of 9 navmesh/form id entries, each having a different number of triangles. Which one does " cell DragonLair03Exterior (Tamriel[-4,-13])" belong to? That seems to be the requirement to be able to fix it; and for all the navmesh errors I get in EditorWarning.txt...... so basically I'm stuck at that point.

I hope this makes sence to someone that can shed a bit of light. I am obviously not the author of Bluecreek Estate. I would like to use his mod, but I think I'm getting CTDs because of the condition it is in. My CTDs only happen when I get close to the estate in game:(

From the Tomnl "of BlueCreek Estate"

I deleted all the Bethesda navmeshes in that place because I changed the landscape quite drastically, and editing them would cost me more time than just redoing them from scratch.

As for your CTD´s Neimerion, I´m not sure. Personally I´m not experiencing any CTD´s so it´s likely to be a mod conflict. Do they still trouble you to date?

The poster apparently found a mod conflict. Mine runs with BC Estate no worries, but then if it's CTDs, it might be easier to S & D the conflicting mod.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys. Sorry to BUMP this thread, but I'm dealing with Bluecreek Estate.esp mod. When I use LOOT to sort my load order, it comes up with this warning message for Bluecreek Estate.esp:

So I ended up here, following all the instructions to a T, up until I got to this section:

I'm totally lost on how to choose which one is the right navmesh/Form ID to pick. In my case, I was trying to fix the first navmesh error from the EditorWarnings.txt file which read :

Navmesh1_zpsa838e0dd.jpg

can someone please make a video on how to do this.

i cant figure it out :wallbash:

Just the same here. I'm getting the messages for mods that aren't even mine and can't figure out how to clean them. ¦ (

You guys don't know of ANY video tutorial for this?

Arthmoor's guide is great, of course, but I guess I'm too much of a noob. :facepalm:

Oftentimes a video tutorial works wonders as a "How to Do This for Dummies"...  :|  

I don't think anyone has done a video of it. This is really a process that the mod author needs to take care of anyway because as an end user you're not going to know for sure what's going on, because sometimes the deleted navmesh will need to be taken out of the file and the navmesh work redone from scratch in the cell.

As far as the author who deleted the navmeshes just to make their own in their place, that's bad, and precisely the WRONG thing to do since it's going to cause the same kind of problem no matter how it got deleted to start with.

It can get pretty messy even if you're an expert (viz rocket surgery for dummies)

Have a look at these types of discussions. I also found this useful for general navmesh info.

The most important thing is to load up your mod in the Skyrim Creation Kit and locate the area of interest from the world space.

From there locate the alphanumeric formids-  8 character strings and copy them.

Once you have these strings, then locate them in xedit as described above. They should also have a conflict tag.

But quite honestly, as Arthmoor points out, this kind of stuff is for last resort- perhaps when one is planning on a clean Skyrim re-install. :brave:

hey you guys. just joined the forum. i stumbled across this post a long time ago and re-stumbled again today, but now its applicable to me. so figured id ask a question. the method i used, utilizes wrye bashes mod cleaning/scan for UDRs function which provides the form ID and searching the it in TES5Edit. it works theoretically, and registers as clean upon re-scan, but my question is after i un-delete the navmesh, can i get away with marking it as initially disabled and leaving it alone? or should i go hunt it down in the ck and drag it down from the rest of the NM?

thanx in advance for any help

The disable flag has no effect on a navmesh in Skyrim. You'll need to go deal with the results of undeleting them the way you did manually.

• 1 year later...

Do I have to fix navmeshes that are green? There is no delete flag next to this navmesh but it has been edited.

IFOYZ1D.png

After I removed record of navmesh flagged as deleted and renamed the "green" navmesh with its name the record turned purple. Am I doing it correctly?

9l7erNm.png

I am trying to fix deleted navmeshes in Nature of Beast.esp

If there's no delete flag, you can leave it alone. It should be fine as is.

The one that turned purple looks fine to me from what I can see in the pic. So I'd say you're doing it right.

• 3 months later...

I apologize if this is the wrong place to address this, but I'm new to this whole thing. I recently merged some of the patches from the ETaC - Complete Patches Mod together using the new Merge Plugins standalone Mod. In building the merge, a window popped in saying:-

ETaC Patches - Mergd.esp

There were some NavMesh conflicts. You'll need to rebuild these navmshes in the CK:

[ETaC Patches - Merged.esp]
[NAVI:00012FB4]

I have tried to find information on how I might do this, to no avail. I am hoping that someone might be willing to help me resolve this.

It may require more than that though. There may be some manual correction you need to do on the navmeshes with the merge mod loaded. It's one of the reasons that merging with navmeshes involved is not recommended.

Should have thought of that before creating the merge. Anyway, I will take a look in the CK and see what the issue may be... there are a number of tutorials available that I can watch/read to correct the issue and, if I fail, I can always remove the merge and revert to the original ESPs.

Thankyou for the quick responses, aprreciated

Should have thought of that before creating the merge. Anyway, I will take a look in the CK and see what the issue may be... there are a number of tutorials available that I can watch/read to correct the issue and, if I fail, I can always remove the merge and revert to the original ESPs.

Thankyou for the quick responses, aprreciated

Simply resaving in CK will fix the NAVI record (the global index of navmeshes) as mentioned, so structurally merged plugin will be correct. But due to individual conflicts between navmeshes there still could be navigation problems in some places for NPCs that could be sorted only maually.

• 7 months later...

It was a plague for Open Cities too and took some time to work out how to go about this since the CK can't undelete a navmesh without crashing itself.

How do I load the file into TES5EDIT? It doesn't seem to work.

• 1 year later...

This is just what I needed!

Arthmoor, I noticed in the original post that all the images are not showing. Probably pointing to old servers or something. Would it be possible to re-link the images if they are available ??

Thank you!

The images are showing up just fine for me. They're hosted on the same domain as this forum, and since I own that, there's no way for it to be "old".

Hmm...

This is what I see when trying to open image in new tab...

2446084-1521088755.png

Maybe it's an http vs. https thing.

- Not that anyone was wondering - This topic did fix my issue. Even without the images I knew what to look for and corrected my navmesh - Thanks!