Skyrim Creation Kit

Arthmoor

From the Bethblog, and/or the BGS forum:

Creation Kit (PC Only) — Beginning in January, PC players will be able to download the same development tools we used at Bethesda Game Studios to create Skyrim. In tandem with the Creation Kit’s release, we will roll out a new Wiki and videos to help you get started. It also features something we think you’re going to love…Steam Workshop (PC Only) – We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button. The Creation Kit will bundle your mod and upload it to the Workshop, where everyone can browse, rate, and flag mods for download. You’ll be able to do this from any web device, including your smartphone. Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed. Everyone here is really excited about the opportunities and possibilities this opens up for our entire community.

Yes, I figure it's high time we start a new thread. That 100 page monstrosity is getting a bit unwieldy :)

So January eh? Raise your hand if you had this figured due to the holiday season. *raises hand* I think that's a good target and will allow for thorough playthroughs and proper research and planning on where to stick things.

As for them thinking I'm going to love the Steam part, well, they've got another thing coming because that idea sucks total balls in every possible way for those of us who want nothing to do with that thing to begin with. Gotta hand it to them though, that's a mighty clever way to force more sheep into the fold. Me, I'll stick with what works and continue to make use of Nexus, TESA, and Fliggerty. The hassles of dealing with the most invasive malware-like system on Earth has no appeal whatsoever to me.

I'm hoping the packaging portion of the tool kit is separate from the publishing portion. Having what would amount to TES4Files integrated directly with the CK would be a massive boon no matter how you slice it. Who better to know precisely what a mod needs to function than the authors of the kit itself? In theory obviously.

Steam's downloading service is actually pretty good, if not a bit overenthusiastic. Obviously I will stick with Nexus if possible as I like to actually know what I'm downloading and where the files go. But as these things go, the worst malware on Earth has been doing this long enough that it knows what its doing.It doesn't look like anyone is going to install the backwards-flying dragon patch anyway, so until they come out with a real patch, I can't see any reason to give up my flyoff version unless the CK requires Steam somehow. That would make me :(.

Well, I won't be using Steam workshop. In fact, I think Beth should really be promoting the community sites as the place to go for mods rather than flashing Steam Workshop around. Its fairly disrespectful by any measure.And um, yeah...needing to be logged into Steam to use the CK. I can't see how that could help anything. Ignoring the fact that they've left the goddamned release to January.