[idea] More realistic Armorer/Alchemy

Dallen68

Would it be possible to make a mod that:1. Makes armor repair/alchemy take time? Those of you that have played Arena/Daggerfall should have an idea what I'm getting at here. Like when you go to the store, the keeper tells you to come back in X hours? I think 1 hour for every 10% of damage should be sufficient.2. Makes it so if your doing your own repairs, you have to be standing near an anvil to do anything major? Like a field repair with a hammer only you can only repair 25% or something?3. Makes it so it takes a few minutes to brew a potion?

I wouldn't know how to since I don't do modding, but given what I've seen others do, I would think that it's something which would be very possible. I don't think it'd be a mod I'd want to use. While it would certainly add a touch of realism, I really dislike adding things to make the game harder just for the sake of realism in general, but that's just me. You might very well find a significant market for such a mod. :shrug:

Well, the idea isn't really to make the game "harder". I kind of agree with you on that part. It's more to increase immersion. The actual difficulty (ideally) wouldn't be affected.[Exactly how hard is it to hand someone X amount of gold and come back O amount of hours later]?

Well, yeah, handing someone a piece of armor and some gold and coming back in a few hours isn't harder, but not being able to do the repair yourself in a dungeon, no matter how skilled you are at it, on the fly is increasing the difficulty factor a bit, and, while adding time to alchemy is not that big a deal, adding a requirement for a forge that you can't carry with you, like you can your alchemy set, in order to be able to do any repair beyond a quarter is also adding difficulty. On the other hand, I definitely understand where your trying to go on the immersion factor and something like that would help in that regard, it's just the downsides that would keep me from using it myself.

Well, you would be able to do enough of a repair to get you through the day, so to speak. I was also thinking that for fur/leather armor, you would require a pelt, a needle and some sinew [that part would have to be invented] and that you could repair on the fly as it were. (No forge or hammer, here :D )

Pretty sure there's at least one mod that does at least part of this stuff, or at least I think I remember something that made you stand at an anvil to repair. Might help if you can track it down.No idea how you'd go about requiring seperate repair gear for cloth/leather, all things considered.

Well' date=' yeah, handing someone a piece of armor and some gold and coming back in a few hours isn't harder, but not being able to do the repair yourself in a dungeon, no matter how skilled you are at it, on the fly is increasing the difficulty factor a bit, and, while adding time to alchemy is not that big a deal, adding a requirement for a forge that you can't carry with you, like you can your alchemy set, in order to be able to do any repair beyond a quarter is also adding difficulty. On the other hand, I definitely understand where your trying to go on the immersion factor and something like that [i']would[/i] help in that regard, it's just the downsides that would keep me from using it myself.
I might have mis-spoke in the OP. If you were at 80%, you'd be able to "bang the dents out". If your equiptment was trashed, you'd have to find a anvil/armorer.

On that #2; like Dwip, it sounds vaguely familiar to me. I think it had to do with being in your house or something. I thought it was from Phitt but nothing like that comes up on a Nexus search of him. I like the other ideas. Sounds like some hardcore scripting tho, so I won't be making it. :lol:

I did find one that adds anvils to the basement to all your houses, and removes the need to have a hammer, if you click on the anvil. To me, this is more a cheat than what is wanted.

Well' date=' you would be able to do enough of a repair to get you through the day, so to speak. I was also thinking that for fur/leather armor, you would require a pelt, a needle and some sinew [that part would have to be invented'] and that you could repair on the fly as it were. (No forge or hammer, here :D )
:nod: It sounds great for immersion, and very logical regarding leather/fur, but it still sounds like it'd be just enough to get me killed in some dark dungeon where no one will ever find my corpse. ;)As Dwip says it'd be pretty tough to convince Oblivion that fur/leather has different repair gear since I gather it treats all armor as armor, period.
Nope' date=' I found it, it's Useful Houses that I was thinking of. Sounds very close to what you mentioned.
Yup, that looks likely to be as close as you're getting to what he's suggesting already made out there. At least this mod is only giving you a penalty for not doing alchemy/repairs in your own facility and bonuses for doing it when you are in your own place. :shrug: