Anyone know anything about:

Conner

Hey guys, my son asked me yesterday if I knew anything (good or bad) about something called The Oblivion Graphics Extender Mod, personally it doesn't even sound like something I'd be particularly interested in so naturally I hadn't heard about it, then he asked if any of my friends had, so I'm posting to ask you. Have any of you heard of this mod, let alone actually know anything about it, or have actual experiences you're willing to share regarding it?

I've not used it either, but I've heard various things about it such as some shaders messing up but WrinklyNinja is certainly a respected modder in the the community.Personally I wouldn't use OBGE by itself unless I had a mod that required it. It sounds very graphic card intensive.Best read up on the thread.

Thanks for the link, Dwip, and thanks for the feedback everyone, especially Hana. I'll try to refer him here to read this for himself, but what I expect him to be most concerned with is the statement that "WrinklyNinja is certainly a respected modder in the the community" while I'd personally consider the concern that it might mess up some shaders to be the most valuable insight. :shrug:Judging from the linked forum thread, I'd say it's probably not worth installing unless you're sure you've got an ATI or nVidia graphics card that's SM3 compatible as a very baseline consideration.

You'd be hard pressed to find any computer built in the last 6 years that isn't SM3 compliant.I also don't see messed up shaders as an issue. Unless something has changed, OBGE doesn't require the editing of the vanilla shader files which is where most of your trouble comes from.

Good to know. I hadn't ever, to my knowledge, actively checked a video card for SM3 compliance. :lol: So, if all the shaders are working fine for you under a default vanilla install, then OBGE would probably not be a problem.

Well OBGE can still be a problem. It DOES come with shaders of its own, and those could be messed up - but I doubt they are. Wrinklyninja knows his stuff. Usually the problems come from user error when installing them. Some of the OBGE mods can eat into performance though since they're stretching the game into doing things it isn't really built for.

I did notice that it said most of the shaders came without documentation.:nod: The performance hit is reasonable enough that one should probably expect that to begin with.