Isn't MoveTo Instantaneous?

AndalayBay

I have a couple of vanilla NPC's that I'm moving with MoveTo. I thought it was a package problem, but some debugging has lead me to conclude that it's a timing issue. Basically I thought MoveTo was working, but their packages weren't set up properly, so they were returning to their starting point. Now it appears that their packages are working just fine - it's just taking a while for them to get to the new location. So I guess MoveTo isn't instantaneous then? It looks like it simulates how long it would take for them to walk to the new location - is that correct? I know in one of my tests, one of them was injured - which surprised me a bit. I guess if they had to actually travel overland, then that could easily happen. They don't have the No low level processing flag checked.Is there a way to move them instantly?

MoveTo should be sending them instantaneously. I've never once had that fail, and I certainly have never witness errant AI bringing an NPC back as quickly as you're implying happened.

There is a delay between the time they get moved and my PC gets to the area in question.Here's the deal: I'm moving Arquen, Ocheeva and Vicente. Arquen still has the aaaDefaultStayAtCurrentLocation package, which makes her stay in Cheydinhal. Ocheeva and Vicente still have their regular packages in addition to the ones I've added. I think what's happening is that my packages to make them stay put aren't being selected for some reason. Now since Arquen has the default stay put package from vanilla, that one will kick in for her, so she stays put. But Ocheeva and Vicente wander off (they sound like stolen horses...).Once I get my PC to the area and the next round of conditions kick in, Ocheeva and Vicente will come running back from where ever they had wandered off to. I'm thinking of adding the default stay put package to Ocheeva and Vicente and see if that fixes it. But that will cause issues later so I don't want to give it to them permanently.The reason I was wondering about the timing of MoveTo was because I moved my PC to where they were and I found them travelling to the area I wanted to move them to. They were walking along the road just outside Cheydinhal. They were using a travel package, which is how I was trying to get them to stay put after the move. And I hadn't travelled to the meeting area yet, so the next phase hadn't kicked in.I hate AI packages... angry.png

Oh. Ok, so the MoveTo is sending them to where you want them but their AI has conditions which bring them back?Have you made sure your packages are listed on top of the vanilla packages? You're positive your condition variables are being set properly to invoke their new schedules?

I have no idea what's going on :lol: According to TES4Edit, my packages have top priority (are at the top of the list).It's only the vanilla guys that aren't working. My custom NPC's seem to be working fine. I think I've got all the conditions correct... I've put it aside for a bit because I think I'm getting to the point of not being able to see the obvious anymore.Do you remember which debug setting (sdt) or console command it is to see exactly which package they have selected? If I do evp on them in console, all I see is that they've selected a travel package, which is correct, but I'd like to know exactly which one they have selected.

You'd need Refscope to find that out. The console alone won't give you the package formID.

Even less of a clue than I had before... Both Ocheeva and Vicente are using the correct package. Yet if I move my guy to their location, they are walking along the road outside Cheydinhal instead of the location I moved them to. I wish MoveTo had a return value so that I could test its success because it's as if the MoveTo isn't working and it's just the AI package selection that's moving them. However all the other NPC's that I'm moving in the same section of code are being moved just fine...AI packages hate me - that's all there is to it!

Try commenting out the evp commands and see if they'll pick up their AI after the move. I suspect you calling evp in the same frame as the MoveTo hasn't given them the chance to catch up, and somehow it isn't righting itself.

Yep that did it! Ironically I added the evp's later... But yeah, don't do evp after a moveTo! Also had to go back to a saved game before the quest started - that was confusing things too. *sigh*Thank you so much. If we ever meet, I'll have to plant a great big kiss right on your lizardy snout... err... maybe not :lol:Motley crew.