Trouble shooting a Crash

Sigurð Stormhand

Ok, so there I was happily modding away, and I did something slightly foolish, namely I deleted a persistant reference in the CS with linked children. Now that cell will no longer load, I get Crash to Black Screen (because Oblivion doesn't actually CTD.)I'm pretty sure that's what's caused it, the only other thing I did to that cell was lock some animated doors.I can't seem to see what's causing the crash in TES4Edit though.

You're going to need to reverse that change then because deleting a persistent ref is bad enough, but deleting one with linked children is usually fatal.

Thing is, I've checked, and it's not in the file any more, two things I can think of doing.1. Reverting to last night's backup, a pain but not fatal.2. Finding some way of extracting either the info for this particular cell from the backup and dumping it into todays edits or vice versa, I could make everything from today into a patch for yesterday's stuff and then merge it, I suppose.Yeah.... retroactive de-isolation. I did that to make this mod out of the orginal hacked Battlehorn castle esp I had. All I have to do I make yesterday's backup into the master for today's edits, then remove that particular cell and clean the new "patch".What's the best tool for merging a patch into a master Esp?

That would be Gecko.Too, it would seem to me that the easy way to fix a bunch of deleted stuff is to simply run it through the TES4Edit cleaning process and have it disable deleted references.

That would be Gecko.

Too' date=' it would seem to me that the easy way to fix a bunch of deleted stuff is to simply run it through the TES4Edit cleaning process and have it disable deleted references.[/quote']You'd think, but t'is not picking up this issue. This particular persistant reference was newly added to my own esp today, and now that cell is causing a crash, this isn't a master-related issue.

I think I almost have it - the trick with this is avoiding the renumbering of an FormID's so they all patch up when you run the filter.

"Patch" created and tested, seems to work...Edit: And Gecko can't cope with a persistant reference being renamed.Yay!OK, Gecko can't cope, it seems to object to all the records I added to the original BattlehornCastle.esp.

OK, I fixed it - I'm not proud of this but....I copy-pasted everything into a blank cell and deleted the original.