Non-parent form errors in CS

AndalayBay

I'm looking at a patch done by one of my team members and there are all kinds of:"Non-parent form 'RFHallNAgedDoor02' (0100230F) exists in both file 'DBCSkingradPatch.esp' and 'DarkBrotherhoodChronicles.esp'"errors. Yes, it's true, it does. He moved the door slightly in his patch. Could somebody tell me what the meaning is of this error? I don't understand why the CS only complains about some things and not others. Now looking at some of these objects in TES4Edit, it has them flagged as being changed, but nothing really has. The position data and all that are the same. Is that the source of the error? But some of the other objects it's complaining about have changed...I don't think I really need to worry about it. Once I clean the patch and merge it into the master, everything should be fine, but I'd like to know what that message means.Thanks...

That's an error that's safe to ignore so long as you're using CSE or making sure the parent mod is flagged as an esm.

So the interpretation is that the CS doesn't really understand what's going on and for some reason flags some objects as being in the master and dependent plugin? We're using the CSE so that patches can be made from the DBC plugin without having to mess about with making it a true master or flipping the esm flag. I just find its choice of which objects to complain about rather odd. As I said, I didn't think it was anything I needed to worry about, but it's odd nonetheless.Thanks Arthmoor.

It's going to complain about anything that's edited by both ESP files. It knows no other way.

Yeah but only some of them though - that was the odd part. Some were persistent references and some weren't! Maybe it has a limit on how many it will report at once. As I said, I'm using the CSE, so all this was showing up in the console - not via the error messages that would normally pop up. If I wasn't using the CSE, I would probably click past them and not even see them at all :D

IIRC, the CSE culls the console output to only display about 30 or something lines when you are in the CS. It does dump everything into a log, though, so you could check there, but that error gets thrown every time two ESPs edit the same object (although the game is perfectly fine with this happening).

The CS is just complaining because it's not designed to do what's being done. If you tried loading two ESPs without using CSE (and without setting the ESM flag), then the error would be cause for concern because you'd end up with unpredictable results trying to save an edited file.

@Thomas - yeah that could be it. I didn't think to look in the log.@Arthmoor - ok, that's what I wanted to know. I guess it's more of a question of how the CSE gets the CS to allow you to edit two ESP's without making one of the them the master. I thought the CSE was flipping the bit on the fly, but that would seem to suggest not.Thanks guys :biggrin: