Nifskope Icon Maker

Arthmoor

The lazy in me wants to make an icon without going through all the BS to get the image for one. Found this: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=662757Anyone here speak German and can give me a translation that's not Google-garbled to the point of not being able to understand it? It looks like a useful utility but they never translated the readme into English.

Of course in the time it took to post that and hope, I apparently noticed Paint.NET has a magic wand select too, which made the process a cakewalk. It would still be nice to have some way to see if that program will do the trick though.

Magic wand select the background color from your screenshot out of nifskope. Delete resulting selected area. BAM. Transparent background.My laziness in this particular case was out of a hatred of GIMP.

The steps I describe in my icon tutorial, FWIW, should work equally well in GIMP, Photoshop, Paint.NET, or almost any image program on the planet.

ich spreche kein Deutsch... at least, that's what Google says is I don't speak German...Still a little lost on how transparent background = icon making, but...Imagine that. Go asking how to do something graphic and Dwip's got a tutorial for that. :lol:

The snarky answer is that if you'd read the tutorial, you'd know. :P(all icons need a transparent background so that they can interact properly with the rest of the UI...)

I did read the tutorial, hence why I knew about magic wand select, I just didn't see that Paint.NET had one.The next problem of course is that the book image I'm trying to make is having fun crashing the game trying to display it.

Now why on Earth would I want to go read the tutorial, heaven forfend that I might actually *Gasp!* learn some of this graphics stuff. ;)Oh, we're just talking about icons for use within the Nifskope UI? :facepalm:Game crashes are always fun, especially when you know you caused them yourself but not how to fix it. whistle.gif

I speak German. I don't speak it enough or well enough to translate a native speakers written document though.I also speak Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, a smattering of French, and a touch of Italian.And of course English.

No, not icons for the nifskope UI. Icons for inventory items in Oblivion.As for the book crash, apparently book textures have to be done in proper size ratios. Somehow I don't think it's all that useful for the game to just crash though.

@Samson - Sizing, format, mipmaps, aliens?At least your icon isn't INVISIBLE. :P@Conner - Oblivion UI, not Nifskope. Nifskope is just the route you get the picture to make the icon from.

Oh, you're doing in-book textures? Jesus, I'm sorry. Those are miserable. That whole book system just sucks.

Yep. Turns out the game didn't care much for my 521x289 texture being used for a map on a scroll. Had to resize it to 512x256. Why a bad sized graphic isn't an exception the code could handle is beyond me. Gamebryo just sucks like that.It's also not as bad as it sounds. Doing inventory icons is more work unless you're making crude stick figure type maps of course.And... uh... I guess I should make sure my icons aren't invisible :P

*Wonders what you made that an existing inventory icon couldn't be used to fudge it*That Nifskope Icon maker still looks cool. Hopefully someone can translate it.

@Kayle: So, does that make you polylinguistic? Or do you just know a very small vocabulary from each of the languages you've cited?@Samson: I agree. Muds can be the same way. Just having the game crash because something went wrong can be a good safety measure, as long as you're also getting some sort of output collection on the way down so the problem can be fixed. :rolleyes:Yes, invisible icons are probably easier to make without graphics talent but are far less useful in-game. :lol:@Dwip: Ah, now I understand. I didn't catch all that from the initial posting, I figured it was one of those highly configurable UI's that you had to make your own icons for. :redface:@Hana: No, apparently he's making in-book textures, he said that inventory icons are much worse to make. :shrug:

I am by no means perfectly fluent in all of them, but I know enough of each of them to survive in their respective countries, except for French and Italian, which I only have a small grasp of the vocabulary of, but I'm working on that. Rosetta Stone is great software.However, the Nordic languages I know because all of my religious texts are written in one of the four. :P

Ah, that's still pretty cool to genuinely speak that many of them. :)I had lessons at various times in my life in Hebrew, Spanish, Latin, French, and Japanese (aside from the years of English that we Americans shove down the throats of our young). The Spanish and Latin have both come in handy from time to time. The Hebrew works for blessings and such, but mostly I'd always used Yiddish (which I learned at home rather than formally) anywhere that Hebrew was otherwise "expected" anyway. The French and Japanese I never studied nearly well enough to get beyond a few words here and there that are handy in respective restaurants, but I can't read Japanese to save my life. :lol:Of course, over the years I've picked up a few words here and there of all sorts of other languages and would love to learn Russian, Welsh, and Polish at some point, if only because my family is primarily descended from those places. :shrug:

• 3 months later...

Hey Arthmoor! You just can't get rid of me :)Anyway are you still looking for a translation of this? If so, I can do it for you.

Nope, I realized not long after this that icons aren't overly difficult to make using Paint.NET and some creative resizing. But thanks :)Although I'd imagine others may still find it useful.

Ok, I'll leave it for now. It's slow going to translate and I find the program a little odd to use anyway, so unless someone else needs it, I'll put it aside for now.I usually use Paint.NET too. Or GIMP - I find some things easier to do in GIMP.