Bug Tracking Software

AndalayBay

Just a note to let you guys know we will be installing bug tracking software on the server here. We've actually had a couple of requests for a service like that and it might be a nice complement to our Wiki, which is also available to all members. We haven't advertised that very much, but the Beyond Skyrim projects are making use of it for their stuff.

Currently we're looking at Bugzilla and Mantis. We're going to make sure that whichever we select is easy to use but also has all the features we'd need. WrinklyNinja has requested the use of a bug tracker and needs to be able to submit reports directly from the BOSS log, which is HTML. We know that Bugzilla can accommodate this.

Kivan, if you would like to transition from using 16 Bugs to the tracker here, just let me know. The tracker here will be free.

Arthmoor, I see that you registered on the tracker. Shall I make you a manager so we can see if you can create a project or not? We're still figuring out how the Mantis software works, so we're not sure if we have to create the projects or if managers can do that.

Sure, though I myself have never worked with it on that level. Only poked around on a couple of sites that use it.

I wonder if I'd be presuming too much by trying to set one up for the USKP :P

Edited by Arthmoor

I don't see any options to create a new project, only to manage existing ones.

All right, I've created a USKP project and made you a manager of it. Please play about and let me know if you find any issues.

Thanks!

Ugh. Is this double authentication business to get to the manage page really necessary? :P

Sounds like the code is a bit iffy. The nice thing with Mantis is that it's written in PHP, so Dan and I can fix anything we don't like. We'll have a look and see if we can get it to remember the authentication.

Given my experience with such things in the past, that's not going to be as easy as it seems. This thing is using a security session to time you out of the admin screen, and it's apparently been configured in such a way that Firefox will not offer up the password for it even though I have it saved.

No, it didn't allow it to store the password. I fed it the same one I'm already using for this domain. The second authentication screen simply isn't filling it. It fills the username, but is apparently deliberately removing the password.

Heh, and now it's locked me out. Dan had that problem when we first installed it. Ok, we might take a closer look at Bugzilla then. It's starting to look like Mantis is just too flaky. Let us poke about a bit and we'll let you know.

Well it worked wonderfully for the few minutes I had earlier to poke at it and make a bunch of categories. But yeah, it's refusing to allow me to authenticate again. So squish the silly thing :P

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the whole authentication thing is pretty flaky. So that means Bugzilla. Hopefully it's easier to use now that it used to be... At least we know it will do what Wrinkly needs.

Dan has installed Bugzilla. I'll certainly say Mantis looked better, but if Bugzilla is solid, then I guess that's all that matters... It looks like we would have to define the product, which is what Bugzilla calls the project.

Now I remember why Bugzilla sucks. They don't obfuscate email addresses on any of the bug reports. Is there something in the admin CP you can change to fix that?

I'll have a look. They do suggest that you use an alternative email address - I guess that's why. But let me see if I can find something.

Edit: No, it looks like that is their philosophy, believe it or not. However they did make one concession:

Email Addresses Hidden From Logged-Out Users

To help prevent spam to Bugzilla users, all email addresses stored in Bugzilla are now displayed only if you are logged in. If you are logged out, only the part before the "@" of the email address is displayed. This includes bug lists, viewing bugs, the XML format of a bug, and any other place in the web interface that an email address could appear.

Email addresses are not filtered out of bug comments. The WebService still returns full email addresses, even if you are logged out.

So at least anonymous users can't see your email address. Apparently their reasoning is to make it easier for the product developers to contact bug submitters. I'll keep searching to see if there are any options with the newer versions.

Edited by AndalayBay

Well their philosophy is ridiculous, and somewhat disturbing as well that they're saving login state somehow. Just goes to show that the Mozilla developers are still very much out of touch with reality on the internet. And they wonder why their users are jumping ship to Chrome.

It's the kind of thing that encourages use of completely fake email addresses.

Er. Nevermind. They need to work on their explanations. Just poked it via IE without logging in and only the username is shown. So long as we can keep bots from getting themselves registered that should be fine.

Edited by Arthmoor

Yeah, that's the key. If you're a registered user and logged in, you'll see the emails. If not, then it just shows the first part. It seems to do the authentication properly, so it's less fiddly than Mantis was. And Wrinkly can use JSON to create reports right from the BOSS log, so he has what he needs.

It also looks like you can create your own products (projects), so you don't need us to do that for you. We'll give you the permission to do that. Let me know once you've registered and I'll grant you the permissions.

That's the other thing that's annoying with Bugzilla: the user search function. :lmao: Ok, all changed. If we understand the settings correctly, you should be able to set up a product (project) and create categories for it. We've also given you the privileges to define keywords.

Setup seems to have gone smoothly. Not sure what keywords are for so if we need some later, I guess someone will need to tell me why :P

Soon as Kivan signs up I think we're good on using it over here. I set it up with game versions figuring that's how we've done things so far so why not continue that.

Heh, you and me both. :D Maybe the keywords are like the topic tags here. It sounds like we got it all set up then - good stuff.