Wyre Bash not letting me use custom mod

Terry McProblems

Okay, so I wanted to make a mod that adjusts the values of various items for Oblivion, but when I try to save it, Wyre Bash says it's corrupted. I have Windows 10, eveything else wroks fine, game runs fine, ETC, its' just the dang editor. I'm sure the answer is super obvious, knowing me, I'm a bit of a grandpa when it comes to this kind of stuff. I do know that the reason for the error is: REC_HEADER: Attempted to read past (20) end (0) of file/buffer.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Been awhile since I modded Oblivion, and I don't know what that WB error means, but I would suggest you get the Construction Set Extender and recreate your mod.

I probably will, but I want to problem sovle for a bit. If nobody answers in about a week I'll probably do it. Thanks for answering!

Does this happen with every mod you create? If so, there might be something wrong with your process. Does the mod open in the CS still? How is the mod created?

2 hours ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

Does this happen with every mod you create? If so, there might be something wrong with your process. Does the mod open in the CS still? How is the mod created?

Well, I go on Wyrebash, launch the Oblivion Creation Kit, enable Oblvion and it's DLC, then I try to simply edit the values of weight and price, and save. Then when it doesn't crash, Wyrebash says the file is corrupted, and I can't use it. If I'm missing something obvious, let me know.

So just to check, you mean the Oblivion Construction Set, right? If someone sent you a link to a "Creation Kit", that's not for Oblivion (but it will still load the plugins).

Now:

Are you installed in a protected location like Program Files?

Why are you booting the CS via Wrye Bash?

Can you load the plugin again after you save it, if you close and reopen the CS?

I meant the Oblivion Construction Set, it's not a weird knock off, I'm just a goober. It is the one that came with the game, so yes, it's in Program Files. You had a point about the Wyrebash, but I've just tried making a mod with the Construction Set, and it wouldn't load, and no, I can't load the plugin after I save it. Also, and apologies for leaving this detail out, but I did acidentally download the Construction set twice. I deleted the copy, but could that be causing issues? Or is Construction Set just super busted? I'm sorry If I come across as clueless here, thank you for taking the time to help me.

Make sure the Construction Set is being allowed to run with full Administrator privileges. I had similar issues when I first started using the CS and that was the cause--it appeared to be working just fine, but the files weren't being saved properly. Allowing it to run as Admin solved the issue. Give that a try and see what happens.

Tried that, didn't work. Thank you for the suggestion, I appreciate it. If/when I do find a fix/loophole, I will name a notable nameless NPC for each of you.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:17 AM, Terry McProblems said:

I meant the Oblivion Construction Set, it's not a weird knock off, I'm just a goober. It is the one that came with the game, so yes, it's in Program Files. You had a point about the Wyrebash, but I've just tried making a mod with the Construction Set, and it wouldn't load, and no, I can't load the plugin after I save it. Also, and apologies for leaving this detail out, but I did acidentally download the Construction set twice. I deleted the copy, but could that be causing issues? Or is Construction Set just super busted? I'm sorry If I come across as clueless here, thank you for taking the time to help me.

Try reinstalling the game (and construction set) outside Program Files. If the game is installed in a protected location, that may be why the plugin is not being saved correctly.