Hello from a 2 year old newbie

Lena Wolf

Hello all!

I would like to introduce myself. I am Lena Wolf.

I've been around for some two years now, but I am now officially transitioning from a "lurker" to a... well, what do you call it? Someone who actually contributes something. :)

My interests revolve around Oblivion. I also like to play Two Worlds (I and II), Risen (1, 2, 3), Dragon Age Origins, Dragon's Dogma, The Witcher (2 and 3), Fable II and a few non-RPG games. I also read books. :)  However, Oblivion suits me best, and for some reason or other my favourite characters and stories from the other universes all one day board a ship and sail over the Great Maelstrom to eventually dock in Anvil, Solitude or Sadrith Mora... which is all in my Oblivion. It now covers the entire Tamriel, and my mods follow.

Lena Wolf is my lead character. She's been around for some 12 years now, and we got acquainted quite well. I have been writing up her life in this thread on Chorrol.com. To which point that is autobiographic, I leave to you to decide. :) My mods follow the story. It is fan fiction, it draws on the stories told by the respective games, but it is no retelling of the plot - Lena makes her own choices, and they are not always what the developers had foreseen. I have no qualms rewriting history.

On the technical side of things, I have been publishing my mods on Nexus as I was making them, there quite a few small things there, as well as a few larger projects. I have uploaded a few of them here because I thought it would be nice to present them in a more structured way, since they are all building one world... You can fill in the other reasons yourself. ;) But before I upload more or larger things, I was wondering whether this would be in keeping with the spirit of AFK Mods. I would take no offence if the answer is "no". Preferences should be respected. I put some links and descriptions on my profile here, if anyone is interested to have a look.

I'll be looking in on this site fairly regularly, so now you'll have an idea who it is posting in your threads. :)

Wolf.

• Like 3

Hi, Lena.  I can't answer your question, I mainly just wanted to say, Hi."  I always enjoyed reading your fiction on Chorrol.  My characters too make choices the developers had not forseen.  The freedom to do this is one of the reasons why I love Bethesda's games.  Say hi to Renee if you see her over at Chorrol.  :)

Hi, Lena!  Personally, I see no reason why you should not make your mods available here, the only limiting factor might be one of size of the mod.  But that is a technical issue and one better suited to be answered by one of the administrators.  So, providing that the mods do not contain some content that would make them unsuitable for here (pretty much the same standards as applies to mods uploaded to Nexus), I would think that you would be fine having your mods here.

Good luck!

The only restrictions we have on posting content is that it be legal, and not explicitly sexual or include nudity. So, basically, anything that could go in the vanilla game is fine here too.

As far as size goes, the last time we had an issue with that was when MissJennaBee uploaded ETaC.... and we "fixed" that.

33 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

The only restrictions we have on posting content is that it be legal, and not explicitly sexual or include nudity. So, basically, anything that could go in the vanilla game is fine here too.

As far as size goes, the last time we had an issue with that was when MissJennaBee uploaded ETaC.... and we "fixed" that.

Thank you. :) Yes, it is all perfectly legal. And no nudity - I don't think it suits Oblivion anyway. My largest mod (TWMP Skyrim Alive) is all in all around 600MB 7zipped now. Is that too big?

Edited by Lena Wolf

600 MB should be no problem at all, as there are other, larger mods uploaded here.  But, as always, will leave it to Sigurð to give the final word on that.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:24 PM, Lena Wolf said:

Thank you. :) Yes, it is all perfectly legal. And no nudity - I don't think it suits Oblivion anyway. My largest mod (TWMP Skyrim Alive) is all in all around 600MB 7zipped now. Is that too big?

ETaC is 25% bigger.

To be honest, it's less file size and more bandwidth. If we get a mod that suddenly has hundreds of downloads a day, that's when we start to get issues.

At present, AFKMods doesn't generate any revenue to offset costs (and we're committed to not monetising membership), so sudden usage spikes can be an issue.

7 minutes ago, Sigurð Stormhand said:

To be honest, it's less file size and more bandwidth. If we get a mod that suddenly has hundreds of downloads a day, that's when we start to get issues.

I think you're safe with my mods. :) They are for Oblivion and everyone has long switched to Skyrim (except me, obviously). Also they are not "mainstream" - no huge numbers of new creatures, no unleveled game, no hard core combat experience... I like to keep Oblivion pretty much vanilla, and that is an unpopular choice. But for those few people who like this sort of thing, I'd like to present these mods together so that they don't get lost among millions (or billions?) of random mods on a large modding site. ;)

On 12/10/2023 at 1:16 PM, Lena Wolf said:

I think you're safe with my mods. :) They are for Oblivion and everyone has long switched to Skyrim (except me, obviously). Also they are not "mainstream" - no huge numbers of new creatures, no unleveled game, no hard core combat experience... I like to keep Oblivion pretty much vanilla, and that is an unpopular choice. But for those few people who like this sort of thing, I'd like to present these mods together so that they don't get lost among millions (or billions?) of random mods on a large modding site. ;)

I don't know what you mean... Isn't Oblivion Bethesda's most recent game?

2 hours ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Hold on.  You're saying Bethesda released an Elder Scrolls game after Morrowind?   [/shocked]

Yeah! Just recently!

• 2 months later...

I do not see an "Introduce thyself" thread so I'll just jump onto this one. :) I'm Renee G. Just joined here literally a second ago. Not sure what this site has to offer in total yet, but the name "AFK mods" certainly lends a clue. 

I do a lot gaming, a bit of modding (mostly quest-writing) and love the outdoors. Have one daughter who is now in her third year of college. Am 54, voila. 

Looking forward to AFK, L8R. 

Wow, thank you so much, Lena and smr1957. Already have been reading a couple threads, there's a lot of history here at AFK. :stare: 

3 hours ago, Renee G said:

I do not see an "Introduce thyself" thread so I'll just jump onto this one. :) I'm Renee G. Just joined here literally a second ago. Not sure what this site has to offer in total yet, but the name "AFK mods" certainly lends a clue. 

I do a lot gaming, a bit of modding (mostly quest-writing) and love the outdoors. Have one daughter who is now in her third year of college. Am 54, voila. 

Looking forward to AFK, L8R. 

That's a Good Idea.