Graygarden settlement CTD

TurboSoggy

This might sound odd, but I've confirmed this mod is the culprit-- this mod seems to cause a CTD in Graygarden when opening the workshop by holding V.  This is the only mod I'm using, and the crash stopped when I uninstalled it to test it.  A weird bug to stumble into, I know, but it was the only issue I've had with crashing in my 60 or so hour playthrough with this installed so I investigated it thoroughly.  To recreate it, you might have to open the workshop a few times before it starts to crash.

If it helps, I noticed the green settlement boundary wall acting glitchy before the crashing became an issue.  It was rendering up on the bridge instead of on the ground and just looked messed up.

I saw in the changelog that the border along the South side of the bridge was changed recently-- the area where, if I look while opening the workshop, I CTD.  The change was apparently reverted, but I am using the latest version, so maybe there's something left over somehow from the older version?  It seems like the game is still trying to show the old border mesh that had the boundary showing on the bridge (the "messed up" look I was talking about before-- I noticed the boundary looking normal sometimes but being disjointed and having a section up on the bridge other times).

And just to be extra EXTRA sure, I did a 100% clean install of Fallout 4 (deleted all the game files and verified them to redownload them from scratch), started a fresh save, tired it, and it still crashed.  I also have some people on Steam and Reddit who were able to recreate it.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this-- I am new to the world of Fallout 4 modding so I don't know the proper procedures and am unfamiliar with the layout of these websites (as you can see I'm brand spanking new here).  I saw that there's a way to report bugs in the vanilla game but I'm not sure about bugs in the mod itself.

Is there a way to get a crash log to upload?  From what I understand Fallout 4 doesn't generate crash logs so is there any particular mod I should use for that?

EDIT: You have to be facing East/Southeast/South for it to crash, I've noticed.  So it's definitely not a commonly encountered bug but it's there.

Edited by TurboSoggy
Added more context

I think it's something to do with the NIF for the new border. I'm able to get the crash too, but it seems that it only happen if the new sections of the border up on the overpass are within the field of view. I tested out replacing the new NIF with the vanilla one and It doesn't crash anymore. I noticed that the NIF has multiple BSTriShapes instead of one, maybe that's causing the problem. Try merging them all into one mesh.

Edited by RabidGears

Yeah, Glitchfinder figured out the issue and it apparently only happens for people using RTX series GPUs. The mesh has been fixed and is pending for our next update. They posted a technical breakdown of it on the Nexus UFO4P thread.

Ah, I see. I just read the thread. I have an RTX 2060, so that explains why I was getting it. It doesn't surprise me that nVidia are involved. There was an update in their driver years ago that broke the underwater shader in classic Skyrim.

I hadn't picked up on all the BSTriShape nodes pointing to the same shader information. I guess it's good to know about this issue.