Incredibly annoying bug with not just the game, but the entire nuka world dlc if you have UFO4P installed

Zombiebrambo

I cannot post this in the tracker because apparently my account has been rendered obsolete so I need to post it here instead.

I encountered a bug. An incredibly annoying unfixable bug which every forum I read says UFO4P is the direct and exact cause. 

the problem is in nuka world and in particular nuka town. God help me I would so desperately like to speak to anybody but the raiders but that’s all I’m left with. The raiders are the only people I am able to speak to as if I attempt to speak to literally anybody else my character will say something like “hi” or “mhm” and they will give me nothing but blank stares, they won’t even give me the casual npc lines when they’re not quest givers or vendors. They just look at me blankly and do nothing. Believe me if effort could fix this I’d be playing the nuka world dlc right now but unfortunately every single forum I’ve been to says the only fix is to uninstall UFO4P and start a new save as whatever is causing it gets baked deep into your save file. I’ve tried quite literally everything to avoid this, rebuilding my database, exiting nuka world, uninstalling UFO4P. LITERALLY NOTHING WORKS.

it is extremely infuriating and has quite literally barred me from the entire dlc. Every forum I’ve been to says the only link is the UFO4P. But don’t worry there’s always the swarm of people willing to tell you that EVERYTHING WORKS COMPLETELY FINE FOR THEM :))). 

this is a plead for my 100hr save file, please please fix this ASAP. If you need more details I am more than happy to provide but this really breaks my heart as I used to love UFO4P but now it all seems like a waste because I clicked install on this one stupid mod.

I'm not sure what forums you're talking about, but this is the first I've heard of such a thing and we get all manner of reports about strange things people think the UFO4P caused. This one definitely hasn't been among those reports, and I guarantee it would have been for something that pervasive.

You'll need to provide some more details about which version of the game you're on, what you did prior to running into this, and we'd need to see a save game at the very least to have any hope of reproducing this.

It's also not conclusive that removal of a mod fixes a problem you may be having. That's actually a very bad thing to do to your game regardless of which mod it might be. That's a really good way to corrupt your save, which would go a long way toward explaining how something like this could happen.

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

I'm not sure what forums you're talking about, but this is the first I've heard of such a thing and we get all manner of reports about strange things people think the UFO4P caused. This one definitely hasn't been among those reports, and I guarantee it would have been for something that pervasive.

You'll need to provide some more details about which version of the game you're on, what you did prior to running into this, and we'd need to see a save game at the very least to have any hope of reproducing this.

It's also not conclusive that removal of a mod fixes a problem you may be having. That's actually a very bad thing to do to your game regardless of which mod it might be. That's a really good way to corrupt your save, which would go a long way toward explaining how something like this could happen.

Sorry for any confusion but believe me I’m confused too.

firstly, I’m playing on the PS4 version of the game. This extremely limits my options in terms of fixes as I can’t open the console or anything of the sort.

secondly, I know this problem isn’t exclusive to my version, as the forums I have read come from the steam version of the game and also reddit. I’ll link them here: 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/1637542851360876402/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/1640919103689873083/

- this one in particular denotes the patch as the cause.

there are a plethora of additional forums saying the exact same thing all with a different array of mods with the one in common being the patch. 

thirdly, the stuff I did before this bug.

to make a long story short this is what I did: 

I entered nuka world after completing the automatron dlc, in which I chose to kill the mechanist as her lair was really bugging out for me so I decided to just kill her and save the hassle. Before this I had chosen the route of maximum violence in terms of the story, choosing to blow up the institute, the prydwen, and then not issue the evacuation order so the railroad would attack me and I could kill them.

now onto the nuka world dlc. I decided to kill Harvey right off the bat because I didn’t care for his sob story and I’m role playing an a-hole. I continued like normal boarding the transit and moving onto the gauntlet. The gauntlet was a challenge for me but I got through it relatively bug free (minus a few crashes thanks Todd) then I managed to kill colter with ease and talk to gage. I was let out and declared overboss. I didn’t care too much I only cared for the market to see what new stuff the dlc added. On the way I saw nira. I tried speaking to them with absolutely no reply at all, which I though just meant toddy boy had added yet another no lined nobody, but as it would turn out, this wasn’t the case at all. I went into the market and spoke to the weapons dealer, Aaron Corbett. My character said an introductory phrase when interacting like “hi” or “hello” and then I just got a blank stare. Like they had zero voice lines. To sum it up, the only people that would speak to me in the entire market were: a) the raiders, all spouting irrelevant npc dialogue etc. b) Mackenzie bridgeman. I have no clue why Mackenzie is the only exception but the running theory is that she initiated dialogue. I then tried the fixes I listed in my first bug. I tried exiting googling the cause or any solutions to find the forums listed above. No solutions or fixes found at all. I then, as a complete last resort, deleted any and all my mods. Nothing. My save file loaded like normal but the same problem still occurred. This is when I was fed up and did the old quick save manoeuvre. I quick saved and killed everybody I could find. To my surprise, I killed Mackenzie who I had read was flagged as essential. I think this is also a pretty serious bug but by this point I didn’t care. I loaded my save and posted to the this forum as a desperate plea

you ask me to provide a save game, which I don’t think I can do as a PlayStation 4 player but I am able to send in clips or anything else you may need. 

Ive gotten over it significantly since then and have just decided to use other vendors or means to get what I would like from the dlc, but this seems like a huge problem that, even if the patch isn’t the cause, should be fixed. I don’t hate the patch to any extent, I’d go as far as to say I think it’s noble to clean Todd’s mess of an engine and it’s certainly a monumental feat I think should be accomplished by the modding community. If you need ANYTHING more from me like clips or further evidence ask away because just from the sounds of it: this is a very elusive and rare bug.

I kind of remember this one. One of those weird engine things you just don't see coming. It was also fixed in UFO4P 2.0.9, but at the time of that version's initial release, I couldn't get the PS4 copy of the patch to upload on Bethesda's servers. I didn't find a workaround to that until July 2022. The unfortunate thing is that the issue itself only manifested for someone who started a new game and we had done all the testing on existing saves. One does not expect this sort of thing to happen, but FO4 is a cruel master and has hit us with this a few other times since then too. The game itself is less buggy than Skyrim, but the bugs it does have often prove to be whoppers.

That reddit post being 7 months old could simply be one of the unfortunate ones who got caught by the bug before we were able to resolve it, but in general I'd advise not looking to reddit for much of anything relating to mods. 99% of the time they don't know what they're talking about.

The Far Harbor stuff is an entirely unrelated matter and was something that isn't an issue on PC so we had no way of knowing what was causing it. Then Ben figured it out and passed the information along to us so we could remove the offending cell edits. As it turns out, that one is entirely on Bethesda because the console copies of the game don't have fully matching content in them and the Previsbine headers in the affected cells were what caused that.

No need to provide a save, because unfortunately in this case it wouldn't help. The issue you ran into is one that's been fixed on Playstation since the 2.1.4 update, and on PC/XB1 since 2.0.9. So we can't really fix it again.

For reference, this is the tracker issue it got addressed in: https://afktrack.afkmods.com/index.php?a=issues&i=27239

6 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

I kind of remember this one. One of those weird engine things you just don't see coming. It was also fixed in UFO4P 2.0.9, but at the time of that version's initial release, I couldn't get the PS4 copy of the patch to upload on Bethesda's servers. I didn't find a workaround to that until July 2022. The unfortunate thing is that the issue itself only manifested for someone who started a new game and we had done all the testing on existing saves. One does not expect this sort of thing to happen, but FO4 is a cruel master and has hit us with this a few other times since then too. The game itself is less buggy than Skyrim, but the bugs it does have often prove to be whoppers.

That reddit post being 7 months old could simply be one of the unfortunate ones who got caught by the bug before we were able to resolve it, but in general I'd advise not looking to reddit for much of anything relating to mods. 99% of the time they don't know what they're talking about.

The Far Harbor stuff is an entirely unrelated matter and was something that isn't an issue on PC so we had no way of knowing what was causing it. Then Ben figured it out and passed the information along to us so we could remove the offending cell edits. As it turns out, that one is entirely on Bethesda because the console copies of the game don't have fully matching content in them and the Previsbine headers in the affected cells were what caused that.

No need to provide a save, because unfortunately in this case it wouldn't help. The issue you ran into is one that's been fixed on Playstation since the 2.1.4 update, and on PC/XB1 since 2.0.9. So we can't really fix it again.

For reference, this is the tracker issue it got addressed in: https://afktrack.afkmods.com/index.php?a=issues&i=27239

Damn man this seriously sucks. Todd’s really got me by the balls this time the bastard.

I was really hoping I’d find something but it’s a shame to find out I’m just the unlucky soul the Bethesda engine decided to smite down today.

thanks for all your help and clearing this up for me. It’s gonna utterly suck but at least I’m not eating mud in the dark. I’ll try to work my way around it. Thanks again for all your help, I’ll definitely come back again if I encounter any more of ye olde Bethesda mishaps ;)

I was giving this some more thought after digging up what we did to fix this on PC and XB1. Turns out Fallout 4 comes with a useful default trigger script that behaves exactly like the fix we implemented. Can you try this in your game?

https://mods.bethesda.net/en/fallout4/mod-detail/4320022

Once installed, fast travel to Nuka-World. Or if you're already there, fast travel to the Nuka-World USA map marker. You should be facing the arches leading into the market area. Walk through them to the other side somewhere. Wait a second or two, then go try and talk to someone. It should work but I can't guarantee that.

Let me know what the results are either way.

(anyone else reading along who also has this issue on PS4, you can feel free to try this as well and report back)

I was giving this some more thought after digging up what we did to fix this on PC and XB1. Turns out Fallout 4 comes with a useful default trigger script that behaves exactly like the fix we implemented. Can you try this in your game?

Once installed, fast travel to Nuka-World. Or if you're already there, fast travel to the Nuka-World USA map marker. You should be facing the arches leading into the market area. Walk through them to the other side somewhere. Wait a second or two, then go try and talk to someone. It should work but I can't guarantee that.

(anyone else reading along who also has this issue on PS4, you can feel free to try this as well and report back)

Alright so I did exactly this and this is what I found:

I first just downloaded the mod and went into my game like normal. Travelled to nuka world USA and crossed the arches into the market. I waited a couple of seconds and tried to speak to somebody. Unfortunately the same thing occurred. The only exception being N.I.R.A who I had spitefully killed in a fit of rage, she wasn’t speaking to anyone regardless :p.

I then tried it while pushing the mod as far up the load order as possible, leaving it just below the patch. To sum it up I did the same thing again with the same result, except the game crashed halfway through (thanks Todd)

the next thing I tried was moving onto a spare save I didn’t care about with the same issue, disabling every mod but the patch and the fix and doing the same thing. Nada.

I tried disabling the patch and leaving the fix as the only mod I had enabled. Still none of the npcs would speak to me.

bethesda has truly made us both the fool on this one I’m not going to lie. This is a true kick in the nether regions on the behalf of Bethesda and their stupid engine bugs. 

Yeah, at that point I think the issue is that you killed one of the required NPCs for the control quest that's at the root of all of this. With that NPC dead, no amount of pushing from a mod is going to undo that. So unless you have a save from before you killed N.I.R.A you're unfortunately out of luck.

This normally isn't a problem because the quest is flagged to start when you begin a new game, but the nature of our old fix caused this to fail due to an unknown engine bug. Easy enough to undo but if you had already started the game then the quest is dead and required pushing it to restart itself. Which can only be attempted in a limited way on any platform. If any of the NPCs involved are dead though, that's it. Nothing more can be done to fix it.

Yeah, at that point I think the issue is that you killed one of the required NPCs for the control quest that's at the root of all of this. With that NPC dead, no amount of pushing from a mod is going to undo that. So unless you have a save from before you killed N.I.R.A you're unfortunately out of luck.

This normally isn't a problem because the quest is flagged to start when you begin a new game, but the nature of our old fix caused this to fail due to an unknown engine bug. Easy enough to undo but if you had already started the game then the quest is dead and required pushing it to restart itself. Which can only be attempted in a limited way on any platform. If any of the NPCs involved are dead though, that's it. Nothing more can be done to fix it.

Okay so now I’ve gone from confused to extremely confused. I did exactly that, I even went the extra mile and loaded a save from before I had even entered nuka world to make sure I was definitely getting a fresh experience. I still have the fix installed and enabled, the whole shabang. I painstakingly made my way through the gauntlet for a fourth time and attempted to speak to N.I.R.A, who ghosted me to hell and back. This has really really stumped me, I have over 1000 hours in Bethesda games and still nothing quite as mind boggling as this has ever happened to me.

i don’t know what I did in a past life to deserve this fresh hell but the engine gods looked at me and said “this one” only to take me out back and rail me until I agreed to go along with whatever they slapped on my plate. God help me if I get my hands on Todd howard…

I’m not gonna lie to you man, I think this is a waste of both mine and your time. I don’t know what’s going on and I don’t know about enough about the game to find out. I think I’m going to just start a new play through and say adios to my old save file. I have always wanted to give survival a serious go around, so maybe I’ll do just that.

you win this round Todd howard, but mark my words this isn’t the last you hear of me godammit. Good luck cleaning up Bethesda’s messes and thank you for your assistance 

• 8 months later...
On 3/26/2023 at 2:05 PM, Arthmoor said:

Just made an account to say this mod fixes the problem on PS4, can confirm.  Multiple times, with additional mods and with just UFO4P.  This fixes the issue so NIRA interacts with the player and the NPCs behave as normal in the market.  The link does not appear to be working for PC??  Is this an issue on PC as well, or no?

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2023 at 1:58 AM, BombOnABus said:

Just made an account to say this mod fixes the problem on PS4, can confirm.  Multiple times, with additional mods and with just UFO4P.  This fixes the issue so NIRA interacts with the player and the NPCs behave as normal in the market.  The link does not appear to be working for PC??  Is this an issue on PC as well, or no?

Can you please tell me the name of the mod that fixes it on ps4?