Mod-added follower can't respond after action

Elaura

Bishop, from Skyrim Romance mod, stops responding until changing cells.

Idle chatter, speaking, combat, or using any NPC marker will cause him to stop responding. He behaves normally, but when I click on him and select any dialog option, he just stands there and stares.
I use Nether's Follower Framework and have 8 other followers including vanilla, 3DNPC, and Inigo and not a single other follower does this, so I'm pretty sure it's a problem with his package.
Unfortunately, I don't know a thing about AI or what makes followers tick (or not in this case), so I don't know what to look for.
Punching him doesn't help,  only changing cells. This seems to be m best clue.

Any ideas?

PS: though the mod has been out for years, consider it in a pre-alpha state. Very messy. Lots of  records started out as copies of existing records and were left messy. I still love the mod and would like to fix this one irritation.

Edited by Elaura
forgot to add something

Is this something that happens up until you save/reload the game?

Weird then. I've never heard of a dialogue situation where this could happen. Only the issue with SEQ files not doing their jobs which was brought to light the other day.

If it's just the one NPC in the one mod I'd be inclined to think something is just screwed up in that mod's setup.

It's an old follower mod that hasn't been updated in awhile and we think the author(s) just didn't set it up properly. Apparently they copied a lot of records and made changes to the copies without creating a new record, which might explain why the NPC is acting weird.

I wish I knew enough about the nuts and bolts of followers that I could re-write the NPC myself.
It seems to me, that whatever process sets the NPC's behavior isn't letting it go afterward, but I don't even know enough to know what that is.

EDIT: this is all there is on the mod website about it:

"Can’t select anything in the dialogue box?

If Bishop is stuck in “battle dialogue”, (Example: Don’t touch her, she’s mine!) Try smacking him upside the head and he should start acting right. He probably deserves it anyways."

Edited by Elaura
more info