I am screwed, aren't i?

PegasusKoga

I found out today that a player home for the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal mod suffers from the Underscore bug resulting in my saves not appearing where they should.

When i tried to fix the problem with SSEEdit by removing those underscores from the cell and worldspace names of the player home  i discovered to my horror that the main mod is riddled with them too.

Now what?  Removing a mod of this caliber is not an option unless i want to truly break my saves and keeping it will sooner or later start to corrupt those same saves if i'm really unlucky.  Reverting to an earlier save is not doable because i have no back up saves without the mod.  By all accounts i am stuck with a ticking time bomb in my load order.

Is a full reinstall in order, this time without TGCON?  I've been considering the option for other reasons anyway because my Skyrim Special Edition has become quite bloated and crash-prone as of late.

I could honestly not imagine a better place to explain my dilemma before deciding whether to take such a drastic action, thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, PegasusKoga said:

Now what?  Removing a mod of this caliber is not an option unless i want to truly break my saves and keeping it will sooner or later start to corrupt those same saves if i'm really unlucky.  Reverting to an earlier save is not doable because i have no back up saves without the mod.  By all accounts i am stuck with a ticking time bomb in my load order.

From what I can tell, removing the mod is probably the only solution you have and starting a new game without that mod, unless you want to have a CTD now and then.  But that's up to you to decide.

Or you can create the same mod for personal use (probably not a good idea to release it).  Maybe create a mod that has inspiration from that mod is okay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PegasusKoga said:

I found out today that a player home for the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal mod suffers from the Underscore bug resulting in my saves not appearing where they should.

When i tried to fix the problem with SSEEdit by removing those underscores from the cell and worldspace names of the player home  i discovered to my horror that the main mod is riddled with them too.

Is a full reinstall in order, this time without TGCON?  I've been considering the option for other reasons anyway because my Skyrim Special Edition has become quite bloated and crash-prone as of late.

I could honestly not imagine a better place to explain my dilemma before deciding whether to take such a drastic action, thanks in advance.

To your credit, I would say you've correctly diagnosed and summarised your problem. Yes, I would say you are "screwed" to use your own words.

Man, that sucks.

• Like 1

Not as screwed as you might think, assuming the mod has no other glaring issues (which it probably does, given the lack of care toward this one). Underscores in CELL names only mess with where the save appears on the loading menu. It won't mess up the game itself, but your save menu will be a confusing mess.

IMO, you will be better off dumping that mod because ignoring a well known issue like this one and releasing it full of those kinds of errors is a sure sign there will be others which might well be far more serious.

• Like 1

Since i'm new here i do not know if i'm allowed to post more than once so i'll reply to everyone in this one post, hope that's okay.

I am grateful to every person in this topic who was kind enough to answer my question, thank you!

I think it would be best to start over completely because on top of the Gray Cowl issue i mentioned there was one other item of importance that i forgot to include.

Apparently Bethesda has struck a deal with Steam to force-update their games when those titles haven't been updated for a while.  It happened to my Fallout 4 game about a week ago (i'm still assessing the damage done) and the same fate awaits Skyrim in three months time if i have calculated correctly.  Since that game hasn't been updated since July 2019 it will most likely completely break my saves if i try to install the most recent versions of the mods that became outdated.  On top of that they have removed previous versions of Skyrim from Steam.DB so there is no legal way left to downgrade again.

My issues with TGCON were just the last straw so i might as well bite the bullet now and reinstall from scratch.  Thanks again guys for helping me make up my mind, i really appreciate you sharing your expertise.

And Arthmoor?  The Unofficial Patch will be the first mod i download when i start over because unlike other mods it has never failed me up until now.

What you describe about Steam is not specifically a Bethesda issue. It's how Steam operates on ALL games, without exception. That setting where you tell it to only update when you launch it only works for so long before the client will force the update.

Usually it doesn't take 18 months for that to happen because you'd have been playing the game anyway, so if you were avoiding the update for some reason, consider yourself lucky it hasn't happened yet because under normal conditions it would have happened in November of 2019 the first time you launched the game after 1.5.97 dropped.

A lot of people will insist that you can avoid it by running the SKSE launcher first, then firing up the game, but that isn't going to fool the Steam client one bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

What you describe about Steam is not specifically a Bethesda issue. It's how Steam operates on ALL games, without exception. That setting where you tell it to only update when you launch it only works for so long before the client will force the update.

Usually it doesn't take 18 months for that to happen because you'd have been playing the game anyway, so if you were avoiding the update for some reason, consider yourself lucky it hasn't happened yet because under normal conditions it would have happened in November of 2019 the first time you launched the game after 1.5.97 dropped.

A lot of people will insist that you can avoid it by running the SKSE launcher first, then firing up the game, but that isn't going to fool the Steam client one bit.

Ah okay, thanks for clearing that up.

I suppose there's some solace to be had in the knowledge that it was all inevitable in the end.

(it also means i should contact the hit squad i sent to Bethesda headquarters and point them to Valve instead) ;)