Zenimax won a lawsuit against Facebook

Leonardo

Reposted from BSF

Azrael00 said:

So today Zenimax was awarded a $500000000.00 (500 million if all those zeros are merging into 1) settlement because...

Oculus Rift was stealing their tech!?!?!

Facebook own Oculus Rift now and they are the ones left footing the bill.

But this is the first I've heard of Zenimax being a major player in VR.

What do you think their big VR Project is?

(And if you liked the look of the Oculus Rift... Zenimax may seek an injunction to prevent it's sale)

Here's a link to an article about the judgement if you're more fussed about that: https://www.theguard...lawsuit-zenimax

What people don't get is that Zenimax owns iD, and while Carmack worked for iD, the VR stuff he was doing belonged to Zenimax. So when he left and joined Oculus, stealing the code and such that he worked on to give to them was a big no-no.

I think there may have also been an underlying soreness from Zenimax thinking they'd be getting Carmack as a principal at their newly acquired subsidiary studio... and then he up and leaves.

• 3 weeks later...

What a petty and ridiculous money grab from Zenimax, I'm honestly surprised that they won anything at all in the end. Thankfully it was proven false that Carmack did anything wrong, in the end they were just salty that they lost such a legendary developer.

Ah, no, it wasn't proven that Carmack did nothing wrong. Quite the opposite. They won a $500 Million award precisely because he DID. Walking off with stolen copies of the work you've done for the company you were employed by is a huge no-no in the industry and he knew better but did it anyway.