Bunker Hill - Confirmation for bugs 20485 and 20363, and additional information for Bunker Hill and Battle of Bunker Hill

Lonewanderer

Hello,

I just want to confirm both bugs:

20363 - Mayor walks away during dialog: This one had me spitting mad every time I try it. It is nasty, because it can happen, that after doing her quest you do not get the reward (Bunker Hill Caravan station for your settlements), because she just walks away, and the dialog seems to appear only once. But it happens nearly every time you try to talk to her - especially when she works the crops, which she does most of the time.

20485 - I did go for the 'Minutemen Ending', and therefore I - as a member of the BOS and the Railroad - I behave neutral in this battle. After the Minutemen ending (destroying the Institute with the Minutemen) Elder Maxson does no longer speak to the character, and in the Railroad Glory is thought dead, even when she walks around in the HQ.

But there is more:

Battle of Bunker Hill: I am a member of the Railroad (all quests done up to this point) and a member of the BOS (all important quests done, well respected). When I arrive, the battle rages between Railroad Heavys and the BOS. I meet the Courser (i usually inform Railroad, but not the BOS, but this does not matter), and go in without fighting anybody, and nobody attacks me. Inside the hidig place the battle goes on, and I always ignore the BOS and the Railroad, not taking sides. The Courser fights, but is beside me when I reach the hidden Synths. And now things become a bit peculiar: I tell the Synths in dialogue they are free to go, ans the Courser attacks me (this is normal). I kill the Courser, but somehow the quest seems to hang, because it tells me to 'deal with the Synths'. But when I talk to them, they only have standard dialogue responses, every one of them. The quest stage 'deal with the Synths' does not go away and cannot be resolved. But the followup quest stage 'Talk to Father' is activated.

Next I went to Father on the roof of CIT and told him, that I am out, which leads to the quest 'Banished from the Institute'. Somehow the old Battle of Bunker Hill quest ends here. But does it?

The situation at Bunker Hill is somehow frozen. The BOS soldiers stand around, and so do the Railroad agents, and if they see each other, they fight. Even after destroying the Institute, BOS soldiers keep standing around Bunker Hill. Normally the Railroad agents are much weaker outside and in time they are mostly killed. But if one of them survives, they fight the caravan guards! Usually they loose. But this is clearly wrong, since the Railroad uses Bunker Hill as a safe house. BOS does not attack anybody except monsters and Raiders. But they are superfluous and I think this is a bug, going back to the unresolved (and rather aborted) Bunker Hill quest. Also, and this is really bad, all the Settlers and Caravan people, including the mayor and named NPCs in Bunker Hill are cowering during the battle, and continue to cower after it, indefinitely. You can get Bunker Hill as settlement (if you did the Mayors quests), but the continue to cower...

On the Internet I found a way to end this cowering, but I suspect that this wreaked havoc with other things. It goes with a console command - from Reddit:

On PC: stopquest ef21c

Go to a closed cell. Wait 24 hrs.

I did this and the cowering ended - but I am very unsure. I use no mods at all, not even the UO-Patch. And I do not use the console, if I can avoid it. This 'fix' and a fix for a hanging 'crippled head' were the only things I used the console for. I fear, that I may have started other problems with this 'fix', since I see a complete dryup of all Minutemen radiant quests, except Settlement attacks. Will report this in another post...

I suspect, that because of a bug the Bunker Hill quest does not end correctly and is not cleaned up, even if the remaining quests, that depend on it, are started ok.

As mentioned in 20485, I think it is intentional that Maxson does not speak to the player, and the Glory thing is just a dialogue problem. But the cowering NPCs and the BOS soldiers standing around, and the fact, that Railroad agents fight caravan guards points to problems there.

What is a small problem and probably an oversight is the fact, that PAM gives out radiant quests to destroy BOS patrols. The wording of the quests is so, as if BOS were destroyed by the Minutemen. But BOS is alive and the player has good relations with the faction. PAM should not give these quests, as long as BOS exists and player is friendly to BOS.

Hope this helps.

LW

• 2 years later...

Was anything done about the Bunker Hill bug, or can nothing be done?  I've completed the Battle for Bunker Hill, the Nuclear Option (siding with the Minutemen) and Defend the Castle.  It's been several in game days since the Bunker Hill battle and all the residents are cowering.  There were Railroad Heavies inside the compound shooting at the residents -- what's up with that?  But now they're all dead.  BOS soldiers are standing around outside the compound, but not shooting at anyone.

We have some fixes relating to Bunker Hill coming in for the next patch beta this weekend. One of which should address the issue with NPCs perpetually cowering.