A Hopeful Question Re: Settler Assignment Issues

Jeremiah12LGeek

Now that official patches for Fallout 4 are over, it is clear there will never be an official fix for the settler assignment bug.

I'm not an expert, but a brief recap of the issue: Something that badly handles the scripts for settlers in the core game has been exacerbated by the official patches (particularly 1.5 or 1.6) and results in a game-breaking bug (baked into any related save games) that renders it permanently impossible to assign settlers.

I thought I'd ask in here what the likelihood would be of a mod that could address the issue? Not necessarily UFO4P, but is it even possible for a mod to mitigate or correct the issue? I expect it isn't likely, but it's hard to get a read on it based on the scattered and confusing information contained about the bug in most resources (especially Bethesda's.)

This issue is well documented (you may want to start with the last post as this provides a simplified explanation):

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4462-fo4-unlimited-settlementssettlers-a-caveat-for-mod-users/page-2

What can be fixed has been fixed as of UFO4P version 1.0.3. This fix eliminates the issue on vanilla sized settlements entirely, and it probably will also work well on settlements that are moderately larger.

With all vanilla limits uncapped (and very large settlements resulting thereof) the situation is still much improved in that resets will not run in an endless sequence (the fix basically prevents the scripts from thinking that the player has entered a settlement location when he actually just went into workshop mode for or just activated a worbench), but the time it takes for a single reset to finish running can still get excessively large. This is because the game is not designed to handle overly large settlements: the scripts are unable to run their householding procedures on an overly large number of settlers and/or scripted objects within a sufficiently short period of time. That is, there still will be a noticeable delay after arriving at a settlement location before settler assignment starts working. Needless to say that there's nothing we can do here.

• Like 1

First of all, thank you. Your response, and the link contained in it, mean a great deal to me. I have been looking fruitlessly for reliable information about this issue.

I didn't follow most of your explanation in the link, but it was explained very well, and I have the gist of what's happening. I definitely feel confident that I can go back to my game (I haven't played in over six months) and have hope that I can proceed with it.

If you happen to check back in, I'll leave a few follow-up questions, just to shore up my confidence about reloading my old game.

Does the UFO4P fix reliably address save games that currently have the issue baked in?

It sounds like I wouldn't need to do much more than update UFO4P, load up my game, and then wait however long it takes for the current reset queue to finish (potentially quite some time, depending on my recent activity as you explained in the other thread.) After that, UFO4P should, fairly reliably, mitigate it happening in the future by preventing more than one reset per game day?

If I've understood correctly, then I am quite thrilled, but I don't want to get ahead of myself! :P

Thank you again, and especially thanks to everyone who has worked on or contributed to UFO4P. I'm pretty new to the world of mods (I play on XBone, but have started gaming on my PC more in recent years, as well.)

Edit: I reloaded the previously broken save with the most recent version of UFO4P. Preston almost immediately gave me the Slog's mission, which served as the perfect opportunity to see of I could successfully acquire new settlers and assign them to tasks. I completed the mission, all seven settlers registered correctly, and I was able to re-assign a worker to a supply line on the first try.

Thanks again!