Harsh weather transition on Dawnstar's shores

VaultDuke

Ok, so this is something that has been happening for a long time in my game. I had previously filed it under mod conflict, but since it now happened in SSE again, reproducably, and with a much shorter load order, here's what i observe:

if i exit Dwawnstar towars the sea, on the right side with the boat, once i pass the ferry/fisherman, the weather usually changes very apruptly, often from the wintery Dawnstar weather to something imho way too sunny.

here's a picture of sunny weather in Dawnstar, right after the transition (maybe 5 seconds), on the spot it happened, but i turned 180 °:

gallery_1501_24_3111232.png

the image was taken with WATER installed, but i can reproduce it without.

Am i the only one to see this?

I haven't notice that in my game yet.  Although, I wonder if you tried to reproduce it without using mods, even without USSEP?

No i haven't yet. I did try without my weather mods. The transition still happened (fron snowy to sunny and back once i reentered Dawnstar) though the speed was much less jarring.

Still, i think something is up with the location data there, and i wouldn't know where to start looking. If someone could reproduce it on his end, i'd at least know it's something worth looking into.

AFAIK, weathers and ambiant sound spaces are affected to regions, themselves made of cells groups.

Looks like your harsh weather transition happens because you're going from one region to the next, and your wintery weather is not affected to it.

Weathers.jpg

There's not much to do IMO. All TES and Fallout games weathers are supported by this mechanism since Oblivion. That's just the way how it works...  :shrug:

Thanks for looking into this. This sounds like it makes some sense to what i'm seeing. I also snooped around that region now in SSEEdit, and while i couldn't see it all layed out like in the map you showed, i saw that there were Dawnstar regions that basically had "WeatherSnowy" and Costal Regions with "WeatherCoast" and very few that had both.

In general it seem the whole costal line has a very thing overlap region, unlike some of the weathers in the inner land.

I was wondering, it it would be feasible to extend the overlap/dualweather type region to the snowy patch where your red arror points in the image.

Yes, most probably, but I personally never altered regions and weathers.

Edit : now that I'm thinking about it, issue18660 is probably similar.

Based on your first post in this thread, I am not sure about Gruftlord's issue and that bug are similar, because the transition of weather has always been somewhat flawed in the previous games.

In Morrowind there is the blight storm weather and in Oblivion there is the Oblivion portal weather transitions to a normal weather, which sometimes is delayed for a reason I have no idea what it is.  Maybe an engine bug, I dunno.

It could be that this cell simply has no weather and/or music set. resulting in a harsh very noticable change, too. I see where Nico is coming from.