Heads or Tails - Permissions Request

alt3rn1ty

I don't think that's going to fly. It also isn't very practical because if a validation is done by the user, or a new patch is issued by the company, the entire thing gets wiped out and the user has to do it all over again.

Verify Cache = Anneal the BAIN ( or whatever they do in NMM / MO ) - The newer verified version will be no better than the original I used to create the cleaned version, so why keep the verified version when they can just install over it with the one out of the BAIN

For cases where there is a genuine update to the original, that will be my cue to update it.

And those cases will dry up shortly. The only other reason to update would be SSEEdit advancements, again thats on me to update it.

I am just going to make a simple BAIN with all 4 plugins in the root of the archive, piece of cake to re-install manually aswell as by mod managers.

But I must admit, I'm not holding my breath for a positive response, just hoping so. Still doesnt solve any problems for console users though.

Another thing that's related to this is about those people out there who're still trying to play a cracked Skyrim, because any illegal copy of Skyrim doesn't have the Update.esm, can only be downloaded through Steam IIRC, in their loadorder only the DLC are present.

So cracked versions are not going to benefit from this because they dont need the update.esm anyway ?

The person uploading cracked versions had to get the rest of the files from steam aswell ( or someone elses HD )

But anyway I'll leave that to Bethesda to weigh up, I dont think they would gain anything from these being uploaded, pretty sure RefIDs would be messed up and lord knows what else problems which come with cracked games.

They also will not be getting any BSAs from me.

It might also have been better to wait until Monday to ask, cause nobody is in office until then :P

Good point :)

Ah well, I'm taking the family over the East coast this weekend so plenty to do while waiting for the axe to fall

So cracked versions are not going to benefit from this because they dont need the update.esm anyway ?

The person uploading cracked versions had to get the rest of the files from steam aswell ( or someone elses HD )

On the contrary, they're going to benefit from this, because without an Update.esm the game will not work and we both know that a bsa doesn't do any good without the actual esm/esp.

The only thing they need is the Update.bsa aside from any updated DLC.

You said,

any illegal copy of Skyrim doesn't have the Update.esm

So they are playing the game happily without it = They dont need it, yes ?

Or, did hackers really push a game that does not work without end users "somehow" acquiring a copy of update.esm ?, I find that hard to believe

And if the latter is the case, surely they have fixed this problem since .. whenever your source of information became common knowledge

Or are you talking about really old cases of cracked Skyrim, which a newer version of Update.esm would probably not work with anyway = Not a concern

I cant see me uploading cleaned versions of just the Skyrim SE masters ( and note, I will not be doing the same for any previous versions of the same game files for Oldrim or Legendary, because those DLC can still be bought individually ) becoming the downfall of Bethesda .. And I really cant see that one file being a necessity for any cracks these days, surely that was an early crack and someone else did a better job for pride and thumbing a nose at the other less proficient hackers "Nya! nya! you're all rubbish :P we are the better crackers" etc.

I certainly cant see hackers having any trouble at all getting a copy of update.esm if they really needed to.

Am I really going to be writing a book in ten years "Bethesda, my part in their downfall" ?  :lmao:

Just google "torrent skyrim legendary edition", I think Skidrow team has been cracking software since Amiga days when they frequented the demo scene showing off their latest programming prowess, hits for that one are number one in search results currently. Theres even a .rar file on mega to download, extract, run setup, replace the exe with a tailored one and everything legendary is installed .. I wouldn't venture there myself, you never know what else these things are installing 'as payment for their work', hacks into DirectX at the driver level providing easy hooks for slaving your machine to a Botnet etc etc .. <shudders>

Just search around this forums for posts where members, usually new members, is asking for help and often it's people who claim their issue is with USKP/USLEEP and not with any mods they're using.

Just search around this forums for posts where members, usually new members, is asking for help and often it's people who claim their issue is with USKP/USLEEP and not with any mods they're using.

Leo, what the hell has that got to do with what I am proposing ?

Anyone who supports the Unofficial patches knows about the tide of newbies with a list of common mistakes which get fired at the project with annoying frequency ..

.. some of which may even be helped by this idea if everyone who does not understand cleaning mods gets to experience a more stable setup, with DLCs in the correct order because they have also been timestamped correctly, for the first time in their modding history on Skyrim SE.

The whole idea of this is to help people through a few technical problems they would not ordinarily even attempt because there are too many words in the description of what needs to be done.

Have you got any kind of constructive point to make here ?

As I said - Bethesda will decide if there is anything to be concerned with. If they say no, it does not happen. End of story.

And in that case we all get to endure even more newbie carnage, have you been monitoring the nexus posts at all recently ?, its just a constant flow of bullshit. "No I didnt continue my game <chuckle chuckle>" / "Yes I know not to disable a mod and continue .. Here's my papyrus log full of error calls for missing scripts and the old patches because I just continued my oldrim games and replaced the old patches with the new SSE one" / "Its not any of my other mods <and then we get a list of mods in use which havent even been converted properly to Skyrim SE yet>" / "Is there an easier way of doing that easy task explained in the sticky?, which has already chosen the simplest tool for the job to change timestamps with, until there is I cant be arsed to use my brain" etc etc ad infinitum. Every one of them convinced its USSEP at fault because .. reasons.

Its because of the "Nexus is as Nexus does" crowd that I want to provide Cleaned, and Timestamped Masters they easily install.

The only snag I can foresee being an FAQ it will need ( in case of Verify Cache etc ), and thus needs users to actually read it ..

.. Comments will be off to limit their sources of information to reading.

And I will be specifying in the Requirements, that purchase of the game and DLCs are a requirement for use of these files

Don't think it's a bad idea. Might be of help to folks new to the game who find the Xedit interface a bit daunting.

Perhaps in the download page, a condition of agreement in the download dialog should mention Xedit is a indispensable tool necessary for a modded game to function, and without it, these files for download would not be available.

Looks like someone beat you to it, tho they didn't clean any of the ESM files going by their description.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5145/?

Looks like the Nexus staff did what I thought they might do if someone tried it without permissions

Its gone.

My file is still up though http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4947/?

Well I think I got my answer

First lets move the topic to a new crowd entirely

Then lets send in the local village idiot to wind up alt3rn1ty then use that as an excuse to close the topic, then we avoid the awkward question.

Does anyone know the noob moderator ? or is it just because the forum is new and he / she knows full well how better this could have been done.

I flagged posts I was not comfortable with, I repeatedly pointed out that the topic was not a typical audience participation topic, I requested also to moderators to delete all posts just leaving the OP .. None of that was actioned. Instead they went for let it drag on a bit and then we close the topic.

I have asked for a review by an independant moderator but I now dont hold any hope of this going anywhere.

I have no idea who the two moderators are, if they're from the previous forum they changed their usernames. Also the new site doesn't flag them as moderators, which is dumb.

I do think you might have been a bit harsh with that one guy though, even though he was a snot himself. He obviously has no link to a public statement because Bethesda has never made one on the subject. I doubt they ever will either. It's not something they're going to want to commit to because it involves edited copies of the official content, which is likely something that violates the EULA to the game itself.

Remember, the CK EULA only applies to things we as modders make. It doesn't apply to the game's master data files, which is why we're supposed to use them as masters. Yes, I know, what you wanted to do here has to be done directly to the files. So I think the best we're going to get is the status quo, where everyone needs to clean the files themselves.

Yep I agree with all of that.

The Nexus page will get dropped. I thought about turning it into another guide style page with a folder structure for a BAIN .. But to be honest, I cant be bothered anymore.

Bethesda is infuriating in their lack of response to people who wish to help them for free in smoothing over the rough edges, thats mostly what is boiling my blood about this.

Edit : Anyway, I preferred the conspiracy theory :)

Hold the phone - Both moderators have been most helpful in Chat, and between them have brought it back up unlocked.

Dinasaur is also going to attempt comms with Bethesda to get an official statement one way or the other .. But may not be back for a week

And understands to make the statement public.

Patience is a virtue ( I need more of, obviously  :redface: )

But anyway, tis in the hands of The Nine, for better or worse we will hopefully get a definitive answer.

@Arthmoor - If they do give the go ahead ( see most recent posts there ), I have been thinking would you like to host them as additional files on the USSEP page ?

making a whole unofficial / official solution to every fixable problem in the game ..

.. and then this gets to benefit a much much wider audience which is the main objective

My page can be binned quite easily, I will just be happy to have instigated a solution to many years of frustratingly complex problems from the crowd ( I know there are far more elements to that than just this issue, but at least we will then have done as much as is feasibly possible ).

Just upload as a simple BAIN, with all four cleaned plugins in the root of the archive so that all mod managers can install them, and an FAQ entry along the lines of if you need to just refresh cache etc, then reinstall these files because they will have been replaced by the verification process.

I would do the files if you wish - But equally happy if for your own confidence you wish to do them ( and especially if you know a few tricks that the normal cleaning guide which does not consider the complexities of the USSEP does not cover, and they can be tailor cleaned better by your own fair scaly hands :) )

• 2 months later...

Well having prompted the moderators a couple of times since my last post .. I think they are just not getting a response back from Bethesda so far

So still being patient ..

Meanwhile I just turned the nexus page into another iteration of the manual guide, with an empty BAIN template for a file

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4947?

• 2 months later...

I have now given up completely, the topic has been locked again by another touchy moderator who seems to be making up excuses to just get the topic locked ..

.. Methinks the topic is too awkward for Bethesda to answer so they found an excuse to get it locked. Maybe me just being cynical.

Stuff it, its not important anyway and I really cant be arsed wanting to do it anymore.

I think your most recent reply in that thread was a bit snippy to be honest. You probably should have just ignored the guy who didn't bother to read the thread. I have no idea who Mara_Bird is, but the moderators on the site these days are following much stricter rules laid down by mother Zenimax rather than the less anal moderation that came before it on the old site. They do the same thing over on the ESO forum all the time.

Yeah I had a good read of the new site rules to pick the key words applied, still seems to be just a very picky judgement call, which makes me think they just wanted an excuse to close it.

I agree though, the forum is definitely stricter, probably a good thing overall considering the crowd that these games attract occasionally these days, and they cant really be seen to display any favoritism bias towards old hands either who are used to the old moderation standards, and the slight infringements we were accustomed to getting away with.

Wish they could exercise such stern control over actual mods where it is really needed.

C'est la vie

We all wish they could do the same for mods, but the forum moderation crew doesn't have access to that part of the site, which is the big problem. We've been pushing for some time now to see this happen but nothing has been done yet.