Allowing spouse in Severin Manor?

I am not certain if this is a bug, oversight, or intended, but should it not be possible for a spouse to move to Severin Manor in Raven rock after you have finished "Served cold"? 

I would lean toward intentionally left out based on attempts I've made to try and make that work in a mod I was building. I ran into some nasty problems where one character could do it, but another couldn't, and I tried it with many different ones from various save games. The success rate in moving into Severin Manor was about 40%. This was with the mod being fully dependent on the DLCs and their unofficial patches. When it failed, it was always in the same quest script, and no amount of tweaking would convince it to work. Even when it was given an insanely long wait time.

In Beth's case, I doubt it would work at all since it's not something they can't modify without making Dragonborn explicitly dependent on Hearthfire. Soft compatibility through Papyrus just won't cut it.

I (as a complete CK noob) attempted to make it work as well using instructions about how to make a player-made house spouse-compatible, but the options did not even show up. Not for a single spouse I tried. But that at least explains to an extent what was wrong.
However, I cannot see why it would require Hearthfire, as that is not necessary to make a spouse move into a vanilla house. Oh well, if it does not work, then it does not.