About "Letter from a friend"

Elgar

Hi guys,

I don't know if it's in the scope of the USKP, so I thought that I should ask you before opening a ticket in TracDown.

Maybe it's because I come back to Skyrim, but I was surprised, to say the least, by the fact there is almost no delay between your shout and the courier who brings you a "letter from a friend". I just shouted in the Bannered Mare, and as soon as I leaved one moment later, the courier arrived. So there was less than a minute between the two events !

It's pretty breaking immersion-wise. A few seconds for :

- this friend to hear about the incident

- this friend to write a letter

- the courier to take this letter

- the courier to bring you this letter...

I think you get my point.  :P

What do you think ? It's not technically a bug, but it's such a nonsense that maybe a delay could be created, like when the USKP corrected another nonsense about this quest : http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/tracdown/issue/17642-letters-from-a-friend-about-shouting-in-nonsense-areas-soul-cairn/

You shouted in the Bannered Mare? That must have been fun :lol:

I didn't think that quest kicked in for indoor locations, but who knows. Also, are you using Provincial Courier Service? The courier lives right outside of Whiterun so the speed he found you isn't so far off.

In vanilla, couriers are triggered by change location events to drop in a spot near you. Probably because Beth didn't feel like having him wander Skyrim looking for you. It's kind of a cheesy mechanic but that's the way it works. Messing with it beyond blocking it in clearly illogical places like the Soul Cairn would be beyond scope for the project even if it isn't exactly the best way to do things.

You shouted in the Bannered Mare? That must have been fun :lol:

I didn't think that quest kicked in for indoor locations, but who knows. Also, are you using Provincial Courier Service? The courier lives right outside of Whiterun so the speed he found you isn't so far off.

Yes it's one of those malicious delights you want to experience when you come back to Skyrim.  :evil:  It was just for fun of course, I didn't save my game after that. ^^

The letter specifically mentions the Bannered Mare ("You caused a bit of stir in The Bannered Mare" lol) so no doubt about that.

No, I don't use Provincial Courier Service for the moment.

In vanilla, couriers are triggered by change location events to drop in a spot near you. Probably because Beth didn't feel like having him wander Skyrim looking for you. It's kind of a cheesy mechanic but that's the way it works. Messing with it beyond blocking it in clearly illogical places like the Soul Cairn would be beyond scope for the project even if it isn't exactly the best way to do things.

I suspected that would be your answer, Arthmoor. I understand. But yes, this game has cheesy mechanics sometimes ! Oh, well. :)

Hi guys,

I don't know if it's in the scope of the USKP, so I thought that I should ask you before opening a ticket in TracDown.

Maybe it's because I come back to Skyrim, but I was surprised, to say the least, by the fact there is almost no delay between your shout and the courier who brings you a "letter from a friend". I just shouted in the Bannered Mare, and as soon as I leaved one moment later, the courier arrived. So there was less than a minute between the two events !

It's pretty breaking immersion-wise. A few seconds for :

- this friend to hear about the incident

- this friend to write a letter

- the courier to take this letter

- the courier to bring you this letter...

I think you get my point.  :P

What do you think ? It's not technically a bug, but it's such a nonsense that maybe a delay could be created

Would a solution for this nonsense fit for this project?

• 2 weeks later...

The earliest you can make it happen is after you kill your first dragon.

Wait for all the guards to crowd around you and then shout.

The courier might appear just as you walk up the path to the entrance to Whiterun.

The earliest you can make it happen is after you kill your first dragon.

Wait for all the guards to crowd around you and then shout.

The courier might appear just as you walk up the path to the entrance to Whiterun.

I think that was patched out.  I remember reporting it on a game where I started with Live Another Life.  Can't remember if Arthmoor patched it out in the USKP or in LAL.

That got patched out in the USKP since it wasn't an issue with LAL, bur rather with the timing for MQ104.