Have you guys heard of this before?

Deathbydestiny

So I have run into an issue upon starting a new game, the character appears to have an iron helmet on during chargen.

Through my digging around, It seems the issue is caused when all kinds of mods are started all at once during chargen and thus prevents some stuff from happening. The player character already starts with a full iron set of armor which gets removed during this time among other things for some odd reason (Bethesda lazyness?)

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen and if its an issue in the vanilla game or otherwise just a matter of toning down some mods?

Edit: I tried to see if using Live Another Life would help the situation any (By giving the mods time to start and what not). Well, it was a lot worse. The character was in full iron gear when I did this.

The only time I've had a character start out with the "default player actor gear" is when using COC in the console at the main menu.  Seems that something has blocked or otherwise prevented the code that removes all player items and force equips the prisoner garb.

You might need to slowly go through your mods to see which one resolves it when removed.

Well so far I have done my own forcing of gear :P

I have removed all inventory for the prisoner NPC and given it a new prison style outfit. While this works around the problem I have no idea what else might have gone wrong. From my understanding its not just one mod that does it, its the interaction of them.

Regardless, this is outright unacceptable, I wont stop using a game fixing mod simply because the player at chargen was not setup properly due to developer lazyness

Whether or not it is one mod or several, you won't know until you've done some trial and error.  You may find that it is indeed one mod.  You may find that you've got some mods installed that should not be (and possibly even state that they should not be) installed prior to exiting Helgen.

No one has said that you have to give up on any one mod, just that you need to do some troubleshooting to narrow it down.  Yours is the first that I have ever heard of this situation outside of purposeful coc'ing at the main menu.

I apologize, it can be frustrating. You just want to play yet you always find some problem that needs fixing.

My hope here is that Arthmoor sees this and can chime in on his knowledge of the starting quest from when he made his Live Another Life mod, Should I be worried about this? Could other things not be working right or is my workaround ok?

I'm afraid I couldn't really say since I've never run into this, either in vanilla starts or with LAL. By the time you see the race menu in either one, your equipment should have long since been taken. The only way it could break is if something is interfering with MQ101's ability to deal with it properly. Either the quest or the scripts that go with it.

I'm afraid I couldn't really say since I've never run into this, either in vanilla starts or with LAL. By the time you see the race menu in either one, your equipment should have long since been taken. The only way it could break is if something is interfering with MQ101's ability to deal with it properly. Either the quest or the scripts that go with it.

The only mod that I have that does anything with mq101 is USKP and LAL.

What about script latency? (If such a thing exists) What if the engine is choking on everything loading at once? Obviously this is not something fixable per say but perhaps a skse plugin to somehow delay everything until the game can sort itself out at startup? You guys know a lot more about how this works than I, I'm just thinking out loud here :P

I'll play around and see

That would have to be some intense lag.

This is stage 0 when LAL is active:

FortNeugradEnableMarker.Disable()
TempEndGate.Disable()

GameHour.SetValue(9)
Player.RemoveAllItems()
Player.EquipItem(ClothesPrisoner, abSilent = true)
Player.EquipItem(ClothesPrisonerShoes, abSilent = true)
NewStartMarker.Enable()
Player.MoveTo(NewStartMarker)
NewStartQuest.Start()

Notice that it's swapping your equipment out before you're even moved to the starting area. Everything is taken, then you get the prisoner clothes.

I see, so the quest would have set everything up that it needed to before I even see anything on the screen or otherwise before any other mod has a chance to do it's thing? Geez, that's only creating more questions now :P

The iron helmet problem is quite known.

I didn't know about the iron helmet problem and thus not notice it either, so I'm with Arthmoor on this one.

The iron helmet problem is quite known.

Are you using kryptopyr's Stealth Skills Rebalanced by chance?

I am infact, the author of the mod has had many reports of this. I have since been able to get things stable again. I have no idea how but I'm certainly not complaining :P

What mod? I'm confused.

For me personally, it happened even if Stealth Skills Rebalanced was the only (besides the patches) active mod, so it definitely wasn't caused by too much stuff being loaded simultaneously.

Wait what? Reread my post. I think you may have missed a comma :P

I said I was using the mod, and the author had many reports of the same bug