Death's Bug Thread

Deathbydestiny

I don't have access to submit tickets to the tracker. So i figured I'd post some findings here.

Stuck Bodies:

Not sure if these have tracker tickets yet but here goes.

Skjor in Gallows Rock still lying dead after the questline was completed.

I used Ralis Sedarys for my sacrifice to Boethia. Not only is he still dead there, he is carrying a copy of Hoarfrost despite the fact I already took it from him before I sacrificed him.

All named members of the Volikhar Vampires are still dead in the castle long after the questline was finished. I'm sure this could happen to the named members of the Dawnguard too and so that is also worth checking.

Master Vampire with form ID xx00f4ba as well as Vigilant Tolan still dead in Dimhollow Crypt. Also some Draugr are still dead there too though I can't recall if they were already like that

Stuck Quests:

The quest to speak to Jarl of Falkreath for Hearthfire; I got the quest before I completed the Civil War questline but when I finished it and then went to go talk to the new Jarl that replaced the old one there and I became Thane and bought the plot of land, the quest never went away and it still points to him.

When asking Florentius for work, he will send you to either Gunmar or Sorine to do their quests. However if I have already done all the crossbow quests for Sorine before speaking to Florentius about quests there will forever be a mark pointed at her.

The Magic Forge Part Deux:

Aha! I knew I would figure out the cause of this. Sort of :)

It was not shock damage this time but I was able to reliably reproduce the issue in a specific way with a specific set of enchantments. Bow is enchanted with Chaos damage and Soul Trap. I'm not sure which one of the effects is sticking to stuff since they look similar BUT shooting stuff with arrows from a bow enchanted like this I was able to make it stick to stuff all the time. Only works with bows and nothing else.

If it matters what kind of bow and arrows they were, both Dragonbone

Other Stuff:

Meeko's owner who is lying dead on a bed in his shack; if I follow Meeko there and then have him follow me and then come back sometime after, his owner as well as the bed he was on are gone. Surely only the owner and not the bed are supposed to disapper?

You dont have access? You need to make sure you select an actual sub section

Click on the Trackdown link->click on the USKP subsection->select the  kind of bug and click the correspinding section(actor, papryus etc)->click Add Issue

Ahh I see, thank you :) I was not aware it had to be a specific section. I'm blonde for a reason

I'll make sure to do that for anything new I turn up

You may want to read what information there is on UESP here and here.

Stuck Quests:

The quest to speak to Jarl of Falkreath for Hearthfire; I got the quest before I completed the Civil War questline but when I finished it and then went to go talk to the new Jarl that replaced the old one there and I became Thane and bought the plot of land, the quest never went away and it still points to him.

@deathbydestiny

For dead bodies to disappear, a cell reset must occur. Depending on the location, this happens in 10 or 30 days, during which time that cell must not be loaded, ie. you cannot visit the cell or its neighbouring cells or the timer will reset. Some locations are set to never respawn, like Dimhollow crypt, so bodies in such locations will not clean up.

Skjor's body remaining is a known issue and cannot be fixed, however, the dead vampires not disappearing in Castle Volkihar was already fixed in UDGP. If you wish to see the other issues fixed, you should open tickets for them.

It's just that when some disapper and some don't. it seems a little inconistant does it not? Being unable to fix is one thing but it still feels out of place

As far as Castle Volkihar, i'm running the latest. So unless this was a recent nonretroactive fix then I'd say its not working. I have no mods that mess with that quest.

I'll submit the rest to tracdown when I can

As far as Castle Volkihar, i'm running the latest. So unless this was a recent nonretroactive fix then I'd say its not working. I have no mods that mess with that quest.

I'll submit the rest to tracdown when I can

I have the same problem with the vampires not cleaning up at Castle Volkihar too, despite the fix in UDGP 2.0.0. Arthmoor told me that everything was set up correctly, so I'm not sure why the bodies are still lingering after such a long period of time for me (100+ days). It may be that the fix wasn't retroactive on an existing game or there is some sort of timing issue with the game engine that caused the script to fail.

By the way, I already added the issue about Meeko's owner's bed disappearing to the tracker, because I was able to confirm it in several of my own saves; so there's no need to add a tracker report for that one.

I started my game with version 2.0.1 of everything. If thats when it was added, it can't be because its nonretroactive now

Then it must not be working for some reason. But if Arthmoor said that everything's set up correctly, then there isn't much that can be done about it. One more Skyrim mystery.

Then it must not be working for some reason. But if Arthmoor said that everything's set up correctly, then there isn't much that can be done about it. One more Skyrim mystery.

Would that apply to the cultists in Dragonborn too?  Thus I still see dead bodies in Riverwood after my first encounter with them or do I need to do something else like updating my journal by continuing the actual quest. :shrug:

Would that apply to the cultists in Dragonborn too?  Thus I still see dead bodies in Riverwood after my first encounter with them or do I need to do something else like updating my journal by continuing the actual quest. :shrug:

The issue with the Dragonborn cultists not cleaning up was supposed to be fixed in a previous update to the UDGP. Arthmoor claimed that the fix would not take effect retroactively on a game where you have already encountered the cultists in Skyrim (as was the case in my game), so I doubt re-reporting the problem will do any good (assuming this was the case in your game too). If the corpses really bother you, a console command can be used to manually shut the quest down: setstage DLC2WE09 255. This worked for me in my game, but you may want to make a save prior to using this command, just in case it messes something up or doesn't work correctly.

v. 2.0.1

Dragonborn (DLC2MQ01) lost a property for cleaning up the cultist bodies after the ambush is over. DLC2WE09 also needed to be added for shutdown. (Bug #14121)

That happened to me in my current game though it was in Whiterun, not Riverwood. They were there for absolutely ages until I got fed up of seeing them and used the console to mark them for delete.

In my case DB itself and UDBP (2.0.2) were added to the load order at the same time and the cultists appeared immediately I entered Whiterun (from Breezehome) so Arthmoor's caveat about haveing already encountered them is not applicable. Avoiding Whiterun for 10 or 30 in-game days is not an easy option due to other active quests (and Whiterun being a good place to sell off all that loot).

That happened to me in my current game though it was in Whiterun, not Riverwood. They were there for absolutely ages until I got fed up of seeing them and used the console to mark them for delete.

In my case DB itself and UDBP (2.0.2) were added to the load order at the same time and the cultists appeared immediately I entered Whiterun (from Breezehome) so Arthmoor's caveat about haveing already encountered them is not applicable. Avoiding Whiterun for 10 or 30 in-game days is not an easy option due to other active quests (and Whiterun being a good place to sell off all that loot).

If they're still not cleaning up (i.e. the encounter doesn't unload) on a new game, it could be another engine bug like so many of these other wilderness encounter quests that don't unload (work) properly, even though they're set up correctly. I think I also remember Arthmoor mentioning that the cultists are not set to clean up until after you finish DLC2MQ01 (a.k.a. 'Dragonborn') and have found out more information about Miraak on Solstheim.

The issue with the Dragonborn cultists not cleaning up was supposed to be fixed in a previous update to the UDGP. Arthmoor claimed that the fix would not take effect retroactively on a game where you have already encountered the cultists in Skyrim (as was the case in my game), so I doubt re-reporting the problem will do any good (assuming this was the case in your game too). If the corpses really bother you, a console command can be used to manually shut the quest down: setstage DLC2WE09 255. This worked for me in my game, but you may want to make a save prior to using this command, just in case it messes something up or doesn't work correctly.

v. 2.0.1

Dragonborn (DLC2MQ01) lost a property for cleaning up the cultist bodies after the ambush is over. DLC2WE09 also needed to be added for shutdown. (Bug #14121)

That's really odd because I use UDBP 2.0.2 in a completely new game with everything checked, cleaned and thus the bodies for the cultists are still there lying on the ground dead long after it happen.

For the cultist bodies to disappear, you need to progress the DB main quest. The bodies are not on a timer, their clean up is tied to the DLC2MQ01 stage 10, ie. you need to travel to Solstheim. After you've done that, they should be removed the next time the cell they're in is unloaded from memory.

I travelled to Solstheim immediately after killing them, and stayed there for several (in game) days before returning to Skyrim. They were still there long after that.

I travelled to Solstheim immediately after killing them, and stayed there for several (in game) days before returning to Skyrim. They were still there long after that.

Perhaps that's related to 'cultists being active long after the MQ is over' issue someone posted about the other day.

You could try the console command "pcb" to force clear cell buffers, maybe the cell has been in the memory this whole time. Just make a save before using it as it's not considered safe. Also, prererably be in a small indoors cell.

If that doesn't do the trick and you want the bodies gone, the "setstage DLC2WE09 255" Pete mentioned should work (with a time delay as the cell will need to be unloaded from memory first).

I'll have a look for a save immediately prior to me marking them for delete, then check the current stage of DLC2WE09 and DLC2MQ01.

Having just read the UESP entry for the main quest I may have an answer. DLC2MQ01 doesn't end until you've discovered the Temple of Miraak - something I deliberately delay for a long time. Once the next quest starts you're pretty much forced into reading the Black Book which in turn causes Miraak to start stealing your Dragon Souls. That really pi$$es me off, so I go find as many word walls and Black Books as I can before being forced to do the one in the Temple. That delay could be what's causing the dead cultists to hang around for so long.

Ok, so...

Save 286 made on 23rd of Second Seed immediately prior to installing DB/UDBP. Loaded that game, went outside (Whiterun) and encountered the Cultists.

Save 309 made on 6th of Mid Year - dead cultists are still there (not marked for delete).

Save 310 made on 7th of Mid Year - dead cultists gone due to me marking them for delete.

Getstage DLC2MQ01 = 30, Getstage DCL2WE09 = 255 in both those saves.

Reloading game 309 and issuing a "pcb" console command has no impact - dead cultists are still there. Did that when inside Breezehome, did not enter Skyrim (Whiterun) before issuing the command.

Anyone got a Skyrim calendar handy?

The calendar doesn't matter because the bodies should have disappeared on their own from both of those saves. I have no idea what's going on beyond papyrus not doing what it's told.

That was just to get an idea of how long (in-game days) they were hanging around. Is the calendar the same as in Oblivion?

Papyrus? Not doing what it's told? That'd be a first (NOT!) ;)

Ok, I copy-pasta'ed all of these into tracdown. Except for the ones that were either pointed out as not being fixable or were otherwise already there.

The calendar doesn't matter because the bodies should have disappeared on their own from both of those saves. I have no idea what's going on beyond papyrus not doing what it's told.

Perhaps the fix for the dead cultists bodies disappeared, because something (not sure exactly what a mod perhaps) cancelled the fix in UDBP.

Which is exactly what happen to me the other day when using AFT and having Mjoll in tow then I sent her home.  So what happen after I did that well you have probably guess it Aerin shows up in the middle of where outside of Riften.