Dwip's Thread of Battlefield Vietnam Fear, Loathing, and Existential Despair

Dwip

Because, as most of you in chat are already keenly aware from my insane ramblings about trees, pathmaps, aimeshes, and the evils of .con files, I am attempting to mod Battlefield Vietnam.  Yes, I am aware it is a game that is 10 years old or near enough.  However, I advance to you the idea that shooting bots while flying helicopters blaring Ride of the Valkyries is the sort of fun that remains timeless.  I'm sure you will agree.

Anyway, in my attempts to recover the lost knowledge of the ancients, I need a thread for cantankerous note jotting.  This is that thread.

Holy Shit I Figured Out How to Path Trees

So I read this like 700 times and I've figured out what's up.

So, BFSPC does a really great job of setting up pathmaps.  Until you try and path overgrowth (a system that is terrible and should be shunned), and then you get...nothing...where the trees are and your bots run into trees with jeeps and everything is sadness.

Fortunately there's a solution if you read hard enough.  Goes like this:

1. Run your map through BFSPC until it wants you to run the debug exe.  Do that part.

2. Once you get into the game, hit P to pause, and ~ to open the console.

3. You'll need to type in the following set of commands.  Wait for one to finish, then do the next one.

ai.createMaps 0

ai.createMaps 1

ai.createMaps 2

ai.createMaps 3

ai.createMaps 4

ai.createMaps 5

ai.createMaps 6

4. When done, close the debug exe like you normally would and continue on in BFSPC like normal.

There's some suggestion that the pathmaps done this way also try to render all the vehicles and you need to rem out all of the singleplayer object spawns, but I need to import my new pathmaps into ED42 and check that out.

Jesus Christ remembering how to do that was a slog.

[EDIT]

Yeah, you need to beginrem/endrem all of SinglePlayer/ObjectSpawns.con, or it WILL path all the vehicles.

There's the possibility of fiddling with the various ai.addSearchMap lines.  I'm not entirely clear on what all the numbers do.  #3 is the degree of slope that can be traversed, #4 is brush size, and #7 is a toggle to use aimeshes.  If the source material is to be believed, the brush for Infantry can probably be cut to 0.5, and the one for tanks to 1.5 - in half.

For some reason, BFV isn't recognizing edited aimeshes in their nice handy .rfa.  Unclear on why this is.  Maybe I need to just straight up replace aimeshes.rfa?

I have a sore throat and I'm angry about it.

[EDIT2]

Unclear if happy with brush size.  Need to throw it into ED42 or the game and find out.  Probably lost something with trees, will have to repath buildings anyway, so who cares?

Turns out the aimeshes rfa actually needs to be a standardmesh.rfa addon, because DICE hates you.  It also turns out I missed a dash in the filename for all the sandbags, so I need to go fix that.

However, I advance to you the idea that shooting bots while flying helicopters blaring Ride of the Valkyries is the sort of fun that remains timeless. 

I do, in fact, agree.

A couple of notes re: pathmaps and ED42.

1. Remember that the point brush is a thing when doing interiors.  You can get real close in with it, unlike square/circle.

1a. Also, the circle brush causes cancer.  DO NOT USE.  Square or point only.

2. REMEMBER OPACITY OR YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF AND REDO ALL YOUR MAPS AND ARGH.

3. ED42 and BFSPC are probably going to try to fuck you anyway, so for the love of Christ run your finished pathmap through BFSPC and then back into an ED42 world texture to double check that shit.

I'd seriously kill somebody for navmeshes.