Invisible Runes...

Screwball

Just been through Saarthal and been killed - twice - due to the 2 Lightning Runes being invisible. Not only are the pre-placed runes invisible, so are any (Fire/Frost/Lightning) which I cast myself. I certainly don't recall this happening before, so maybe it's just my game, or it could be Beta 2 related - I don't know.

Can anyone confirm this? If so I'll add a Tracdown issue for it, but I'd prefer confirmation first - don't want to waste the team's time on it if it's not a repeatable issue.

I have a savegame which shows this clearly (here) - if anyone wants it I'll upload it. Load order is below, Beta 2 is actually the 1st "patch" to the original Beta 2.0.0 (October 12th), the Basement can be made available (to the UP team) if required, or just ignore the Missing Content warning. No KillMoves is available on Steam.

Note that this was a complete, clean reinstall of Skyrim at the beginning of the current game, so "old savegames" cannot be an issue.

Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp (Beta 2.0.0)
SBBasement.esm
no killmoves, no killcams, no killbites.esp

are they just clipping into the ground? or actually invisible

you can use the console command tcl to go through the floor to see the underside of the floor :D

No, not clipping, invisible, and they are doing it everywhere. Saathal, Fellglow Keep, outside the college on nice flat ground...

I can (just) see a slight visual effect above where they're supposed to be, but you have to be close to them to see it - pretty much unnoticable from any distance where normally you would see them...

I've just gone back to an earlier save (11 saves ago), Level 35 vs 39, just after I obtained the spells. Same problem there.

Also tried a save from my previous game where I'm pretty sure they were working. Same.

Difference is the clean install and the USKP Beta.

Are yours working ok?

Ok, so this is now really weird - and worrying.

I have, effectively, 2 installs. I made a copy of the entire ...\steamapps\common\skyrim folder, deleted the game (through steam) then manually removed the folder. Reinstalled from the original dvd and allowed steam to do all its updates. This is the install I've been using since Oct 6th.

I just compared the entire folder with the old one (the copy of the original install) and what do I find?

Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, HearthFires.esm and Dragonborn.esm are all  different sizes!

How can they possibly be different when both are played "online" (i.e. not in offline mode) and should therefore have been updated in the same way automatically? The implication is that the updates applied to an existing installation are not the same as those applied during the initial installation, and that makes me worry. A lot.

A current save played on the old install works (the runes, that is), a save made with the old install does not work on the current install. The only reference to runes in the USKP changelog go back to V1.0 so I'm discounting USKP Beta as the cause (unless someone can tell me otherwise).

:wallbash:

Both were, though probably with different versions.

Last thing I can try (having made another backup) is to copy those (well, only update really as the others aren't active yet) and see if it fixes the problem.

When I checked for this I wasn't able to replicate them vanishing except under some badly placed snowdrift meshes on the roof of the College. Then went on a free for all rampage throwing lightning runes everywhere to see what happened, and they're pretty damn flexible. Even wrapping themselves around railings and shit. None were ever invisible though unless they got underneath something that wasn't placed quite right.

/me *waves a white flag*

I give up - now even the old installation has "inherited" this bug...

So I wiped the Skyrim folders, reinstalled from Steam (NOT from the DVD like last time), cleaned Update.esm (and those for the DLCs even tho they aren't yet enabled), installed the same release of USKP I had before the problem (the one released on the 12th) and the bug has gone away.

Don't ask, just... don't....