ESO: $15 Monthly Fee - Good luck with that

Arthmoor

I might give it a try, depending on how the game shapes up to be closer to launch. But I doubt I'll be paying a monthly fee for that long, even if I decide to try it.

Inevitable :(

May try it for the free period, but I have never and will never "pay to play". Sorry Beth, you dropped the ball on this one...

As I understood it, you also need to pay $60 for the base game, so there's effectively no free trial here.

Have to say, saw this, and I am seriously rethinking getting the game.

Based on the live demo where they pretty much facerolled a dungeon right out the gate (at least in Guild Wars you need to learn things to faceroll the dungeons), there really isnt much in terms of gameplay. And if I'm going to be playing a subscription MMO, I want gameplay that will keep me interested in the long run.

There is a reason I'm supporting ArenaNet, even if I don't like some of the stuff they do in Guild Wars 2: they do not charge subscriptions. For a game of the caliber of Guild Wars 2, that is huge and deserves being supported. Every player is on an equal foot, you buy the game and you are done. And the cash shop is nowhere near as bad as other MMOs.

Guild Wars 2 is the new standard for AAA MMOs, the way I see it. As ESO is going to be P2P, I am definitely not going to buy it at launch. I'm going to wait until I get verification that it is a solid MMO. NOT a solid TES game (I have three of those already), but a solid MMO. ONLY then will I consider picking it up.

For me, the $15/mo is a non-starter no matter how long it goes on like that. I simply will not engage in that sort of thing.

If I get lucky enough to get a invitation to the beta (if it's still ongoing), then I'll dip my fingers into it. Otherwise, no, just no. In fact, the only MMO that I have a vague interest in is the Guild Wars series, and even then, I've got tons of other games to waste my time on.

I'm pretty sure that at some point (it might take a year or two) they'll have give up on the monthly fee or lower it substantially. That's when I'm most likely to give it a go.

I'm pretty sure that at some point (it might take a year or two) they'll have give up on the monthly fee or lower it substantially. That's when I'm most likely to give it a go.

Ditto what NightStar said.

I might get it later, but I'm not getting that at launch - especially with the inevitable TES bugs.

Cosmetic additions is a bit of a touchy subject as far as I'm concerned for MMOs. For one of the most popular (Guild Wars 2) cosmetics and customization is THE reason to play the game for several hundred hours. TES has a different philosophy (exploration), but still if an emphasis is going to be placed on unique looks for a character, then in a subscription MMO, armor and weapon skins should not be put in the cash shop, it sends a bad message (pay to win, which if you send that message in a subscription MMO fresh out the gate you can kiss your ass good-bye).

Boosters is another no-no for subscription MMOs, because you are already paying for the damn game. Guild Wars 2 offers boosters in its cash shop, but since it's free to play after purchase I can deal (plus you can get them for free from time to time). As I said before, subscription MMO + pay-to-win mentality + new kid on the block = no sales. People don't want to be forced to invest money in a game only to be outstripped by the people capable of investing MORE.

Here's what I could see being offered in the cash shop:

-Character name changes

-Character slot expansions

-Inventory expansions

-Bank space expansions

-Vanity items (items that look neat but have absolutely no use in the game whatsoever. In Guild Wars 2 these were Mini-pets)

-Fun items (fireworks, etc.)

I have to say - I think the SWOTOR model is best - you can have either or. It's Free to Play but if you want to get on in the online world you need to either subscribe or spend a fair bit in the shop.

OTOH - if you're just a casual player who wants to do the story, no problem.