Mods Relying on USKP?

Shadowblade

Hi,

There is a sticky on mods that are obsolete as USKP has fixed those glitches and bugs addressed by the mods.

Is there a similar resource anywhere for mods which rely on a particular USKP version? That is, if we update either the mod or USKP, we have to update the other as well?

One example I know of is Arthmoor's Bring Out Your Dead (although this is to be expected with Arthmoor's mods).

A friend of mine found the game was "all screwy", so I had a look and she had the latest BOYD 1.2 but hadn't also got the latest USKP 1.3.3, which is noted as being needed on the BOYD Nexus page.

This happened because she had subscribed on the Steam Workshop (she is not too tech savvy and prefers it all to be done under the hood). But, of course, The Workshop won't take a mod as big as USKP 1.3.3 and Steam updated Bring Out Your Dead to 1.2 automatically as she always plays on-line, but it could not update to USKP 1.3.3 as it's not there.

So I suggested she do what I do - use Nexus exclusively, save all her mods in her browser favourites and track them all so she can update when she likes. She just has to visit the Nexus to see if any tracked mods have been updated. A bit more manual, but I prefer the User Control.

I have not updated either of these mods yet as the game is working fine already and I'm not too concerned about weapon racks at the Companions HQ, so I'll leave it a while for more bugs to be ironed out.

So does anyone know of a mod list like this?

And before anyone says it is not USKP's job to support mods that rely on it, you've made a list of redundant mods effectively consigning them to the trash, so a list of mods that rely on USKP would be equally helpful but a little more positive for the community.

Cheers!

~.~

So I suggested she do what I do - use Nexus exclusively, save all her mods in her browser favourites and track them all so she can update when she likes. She just has to visit the Nexus to see if any tracked mods have been updated.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use Nexus exclusively when it comes to updating the mods you're using, because (1) most mods requires registration and being logged in before you can download anything on Nexus (2) god knows what crap is uploaded on Nexus and these so called tools (both of these tools can and will corrupt your game unless you're enough careful) are the reason why you shouldn't update anything on Nexus unless you know how to use the mod in question and know what each mod does (3) both AFK Mods, Dark Creations doesn't required registration to download a mod and both of these sites is hosting the USKP, which will always be up to date and be monitored by its author in this case Arthmoor.

When Steam Workshop became available I subscribe a few mods there, but after a while I stop subscribing mods on Steam instead I always download mods on Nexus or on the other community sites depending of what mod I want to use in my game.

Nexus mod manager (in fact any good mod manager) will keep track of all your mods and their need to be updated. I wouldn`t know how to handle 200+ mods else.

I wouldn`t ever go back to automatic mod updates ever since one author on the ws decided to react to criticism by messing with everyones game by updating the mod in question with swearwords towards the critic on each item description. And i mean each and every vanilla items name. Had to use google to find the culprit. Tes edit wasn`t released back then.

I switched to 3rd party mod managers after that

I'm not aware of such a list either, but I can think of at least a couple right off:

Bring Out Your Dead (as noted, also no longer on SW because a shitload of people decided trolling was more productive than finding an alternative download).

Even Better Quest Objectives - the one by William Imm.

Yet Another Skyrim Hardcore (YASH) - this requires *ALL* of the unofficial patches.

Skyrim Misc Patches Collection - although it would not be recommended to use this as the author is actively hostile toward the project despite requiring it.

There's probably others, BOSS might even have some of the information already in the masterlist. I'll also freely admit I'd be happy if people were using the USKP as a master on a more regular basis since it would help eliminate problems from overlapping fixes, just like people ought to be using Update.esm as a master in everything.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use Nexus exclusively when it comes to updating the mods you're using, because (1) most mods requires registration and being logged in before you can download anything on Nexus (2) god knows what crap is uploaded on Nexus and these so called tools (both of these tools can and will corrupt your game unless you're enough careful)

That's a fair point, but I meant basically not to use Steam Workshop exclusively as some mods are too big for that place - there are some good mods not available on the Nexus but you can get them from here, TES Alliance or somewhere else. Basically, my personal choice is that I'd get them anywhere other than Steam (I spent over a year avoiding stealth updates and patches by playing off-line)

But she'd never use those tools - she won't even use SKSE as it's too daunting to install! Yep! No SkyUI. She loves graphics mods, clothing, armour and so on but she knows USKP is pretty essential and likes bring Out Your Dead, Run For Your Lives, When Vampires Attack etc. But she's limited to non-SKSE mods.

Nexus mod manager (in fact any good mod manager) will keep track of all your mods and their need to be updated. I wouldn`t know how to handle 200+ mods else.

Nah, if she can't install SKSE she'd never use a Mod Manager! Crazy story about the swear word update! That IS funny (as it didn't happen to me), but really, what a childish bit of revenge... I DO agree about auto-updates. Even with USKP, SkyUI etc, I prefer other people to beta test things and I update at my leisure. That why after 16 months and nearly 1000 hours play I have notched up only 0.2 hours on-line.

I'm not aware of such a list either, but I can think of at least a couple right off:

<snip>

I'll also freely admit I'd be happy if people were using the USKP as a master on a more regular basis since it would help eliminate problems from overlapping fixes, just like people ought to be using Update.esm as a master in everything.

Cheers, they are going in my list. So The Paarthurnax Dilemma doesn't rely on it, then?

I only have a colour scheme for the map released, but I have made some spell mods, a mini quest and crafting mod and an Alchemy Overhaul for my own use, but I always load the USKP in the CK now so I use the corrected version of any resource rather than a vanilla one that may have errors in it. I don't know how to use it as a master, but the corrected items and recipes are loaded.

Cheers!

~.~

Nope, Paarthurnax Dilemma doesn't require the USKP as a master. When I develop my mods, I have all of the script source for the USKP and the DLC patches installed in my CK folder. That's the largest source of issues anyway - making a change to a vanilla script and having it blow up later because the USKP fixed it.

Most other things can simply drag patch fixes across in TES5Edit so they don't get overlapped by the mod.

Bring Out Your Dead only has the dependency now because too many NPC records had USKP data in them and using GetFormFromFile() wasn't reliable enough to get around it.

That's a fair point, but I meant basically not to use Steam Workshop exclusively as some mods are too big for that place - there are some good mods not available on the Nexus but you can get them from here, TES Alliance or somewhere else. Basically, my personal choice is that I'd get them anywhere other than Steam (I spent over a year avoiding stealth updates and patches by playing off-line)

But she'd never use those tools - she won't even use SKSE as it's too daunting to install! Yep! No SkyUI. She loves graphics mods, clothing, armour and so on but she knows USKP is pretty essential and likes bring Out Your Dead, Run For Your Lives, When Vampires Attack etc. But she's limited to non-SKSE mods.

I DO agree about auto-updates. Even with USKP, SkyUI etc

I think I understand you better now about downloading mods on different sites than rely on only one site, which I don't consider Steam Workshop to be a pure community site.

When SKSE first came out then I agree it was daunting, but recently anyone can install SKSE in no time via the excellent SKSE-Install.exe package which I now use. :)

So do I and afaik SKSE will inform you about a new version as soon you launch Skyrim.

I'll also freely admit I'd be happy if people were using the USKP as a master on a more regular basis since it would help eliminate problems from overlapping fixes, just like people ought to be using Update.esm as a master in everything.

Stupid, stupid question, but do we make USKP a masterfile through Wrye then revert it back (also through Wrye)? Is that the procedure?

As long as all you're doing is CK work with it that way, yes, Wrye Bash will do the job.

If you intend to try and play the game with it converted, you need to use TES5Edit to make the change.

You just load it up in the CK (not as the active file) and if whatever you do uses something it has changed or added then it should become a master of your plugin (I believe) :dancing:

You could also make it a master without using its data by editing the plugin header in xEdit. Those are the two ways I know

Oh and it's worth noting there is an ini edit for the CK to allow you to load multiple master files, I can't remember it off hand but I'm sure if you google something about the CK ini and multiple masters you can find it

EDIT: I've also just realized I read your post wrong and gave a redundant unswer :teehee: Too early to be posting

You have to flip the ESM flag regardless. Not doing so means anything it would have tried to pass to the active file will get lost and the result will be a pile of CTDs.

Definitely has to be an ESP. You can edit the list of Masters in the CK. Highlight one and press Ctrl+Delete to remove one, Ctrl+Insert to add one (you get a normal windows file selection dialog listing the ESMs in the Data folder). Whether it (the ESP you're working on) has to be loaded, set as default etc I'm not sure. CK Wiki isn't always that clear on such points.

When SKSE first came out then I agree it was daunting, but recently anyone can install SKSE in no time via the excellent SKSE-Install.exe package which I now use. :)

Yes, I even did an Idiot's Guide and posted on my Steam page and later e-mailed it to her, but no luck! If we didn't live 12,000 miles apart I'd go round and install it for her!

The early versions of the SKSE instructions were a little confusing for Ultra-Noobs, but now it's just:

"Those files there? Copy them to there!

And those script folders? Put them THERE!

Then copy THAT *.exe and paste it as a short-cut on the desktop!"

And using something like DOSBox? Forget about it! She'd have to have a man in to configure it for her!

~.~

Yes, I even did an Idiot's Guide and posted on my Steam page and later e-mailed it to her, but no luck! If we didn't live 12,000 miles apart I'd go round and install it for her!

The early versions of the SKSE instructions were a little confusing for Ultra-Noobs, but now it's just:

"Those files there? Copy them to there!

And those script folders? Put them THERE!

Then copy THAT *.exe and paste it as a short-cut on the desktop!"

And using something like DOSBox? Forget about it! She'd have to have a man in to configure it for her!

~.~

Why not download the SKSE-Install.exe file then archive it with either WinRAR or WinZip and send the archive in an e-mail to her with some instructions in a text file about how to unpack the archive then run the SKSE-Install.exe file.

I think it's worth a try and who knows perhaps she can install SKSE by her self.

Shadowblade, do you Skype with this friend? Skype has the ability to share ones screen (desktop), it doesn't allow remote access or remote control, but you might be able to walk your friend through manual installation of mods. I usually end up using that feature to help family with their computer woes. Usually it is enough and far easier than trying to get them to install\use\configure remote access software.

The other option is if we could move some of the meshes from the USKP to the UHRP to bring it under the limit again. I know I submitted one or two that were 99% cosmetic changes (gaps or UV errors) that don't necessarily need to be in the main patch. Just so long as users realise the UHRP does not require the HRDLC.

Definitely has to be an ESP.

ESM - every attempt I've ever made to follow the claimed procedure where a normal ESP is said to work leads to broken mods because the forms from the inactive file are not preserved in the active plugin.

Sorry - I thought I was agreeing with you. Take an ESM, "convert" it to an ESP by flipping the flag, do what you need to it in the CK and save it, then flip the flag back (to make it an ESM again). Are you saying that doesn't work?

He's saying that if you want an esp to be a master of the file you have active in the CK you need to make that esp an "esm" while you work in the CK. (To avoid complications, it seemingly works without doing so if you get lucky like I have)

:o Ok, I got the wrong end of the stick - I see what you mean now. I was looking at it from the other point of view (turning an esp into an esm so it can be used as a master but back to an esp to change it).