Caravans no longer travel

glass smasher

Hi there,

I haven't seen anyone else report this, so I'm not sure if it's just me, but the caravans no longer travel with the latest unofficial patch. They are permanently camped outside Markarth, Solitude, and Dawnstar. Started a brand new character after reinstalling the game, so this isn't a conflict with an old save, etc.

They are travelling just fine for me. When I started I had one camped outside Whiterun, but they were gone the next day. Can you post your load order?

Sure thing. Most of these are mine and don't touch anything having to do with the caravans. I recall the USKP release notes mentioning that some changes had been made, so that's where I went first.

skyrimmodloadorder.jpg[/img]

Ok, well there's no way we can debug that. All I can say is that I don't think caravans not travelling is due to the USKP. You might have some dirty edits in your mods. You should clean them with TES5Edit and see if that helps.

You also need to correct that load order since Update.esm should go before Hearthfires.esm. In fact, your whole load order looks out of whack. You need to run BOSS on that.

Respectfully, I've played with a majority of these mods before and never had an issue with the caravans. Granted I did have an extended hiatus from Skyrim, but all that's really changed is that I did a fresh install of the entire game, installed Hearthfires, and updated the USKP. I do know that some bugs won't show up in an existing game (for instance people who had previous entered Arnleif and Sons wouldn't find it locked if they had been there before the official patch broke it), which is why I'm bringing it up.

Regardless, I did load everything into TESVEdit, per your suggestion and was unable to find anything conflicting with caravans. One of my mods does have a conflict, but all it does is remove a leveled mage and replace an alter with a rock.

If there is something specific I can do to help, please let me know and I'll be happy to do so.

Thanks again for the assistance.

tesv.jpg[/img]

Sort your load order with BOSS. It really does help and fixes a multitude of issues. You won't find the problem by just looking for conflicts with the caravans. The game is much more complex than that, especially Skyrim. It might be a deadlock issue with scripts or the AI. These could impact all kinds of things, not just the caravans. But right now the caravans are the most obvious. There could be a dirty edit somewhere that has actually impacted the pathing. You'll never find that when looking for things that impact the caravans.

So sort your load order with BOSS and then clean all your mods with TES5Edit. This has been the norm with TES games since Morrowind, although we didn't have all these tools back then.

And it could just be bad luck. Perhaps it just won't work for you at all, as is the case for some people with some things. Skyrim is like that.

You could also have a mod in there that overrides the caravan script. Scripts aren't contained in the mod files anymore. They're separate. Look and make sure you don't have a Caravans.pex file sitting around in Data\Scripts.

And yes, run BOSS, we don't suggest these things just to be dismissive or flippant. It really does make a big difference.

Thanks for the advice. I did download and run BOSS. It did change the loading order of some of my stuff, but it doesn't seem to have resolved that issue. As for TESVEdit the only "dirty" mods I have are the unofficial patches, a hardcore mod (that I was using before and doesn't touch anything) and a mod I made for Hearthfire that I referenced earlier. Unless I'm reading it wrong. I linked a screenie in my last post.

To Arthmoor's point, I could just be unlucky. I guess I'll just have to wait to find out.

Lastly, re: bond of matrimony, all it does it change the enchantment on the wedding ring.

Anyway, thank for the input. Have a great holiday.

Quick update:

I archived all my save files (so no dirty saves), disabled all mods except USKP (so no conflicting mods), and started a new game (blank slate). After the initial encounter outside of Whiterun, the caravans move to Markarth, Solitude, and Dawnstar as I reported previously.

And I didn't mention it specifically in my post yesterday, but I confirmed that there is no caravans.pex in my scripts folder.

Does USKP beta testing include new games with no mods? I would offer to test again with a fresh install, but it takes 2-3 hours to download from Steam and I just did a fresh install last week.

Disregard: I did additional testing with waiting and fast travel, and everything appears to be normal. Again, I appreciate the help yesterday. Thanks for all your hard work on USKP.

Edited by Phoenixguy7

For the record though, yes, USKP testing is done blanks slate. Several freshly minted chars at or near the exit point to Helgen. Sometimes with just an alt-start for convenient access to varied situations. No other mods though. Just the USKP and the hi-res DLC. Because even while testing nobody wants to see a pixilated world :P

• 2 weeks later...

The exact same thing happend when I combined USKP with this mod http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12925

It's the same kind of npc speed mod, and very useful for the roleplay, as it removes the need to constantly run&walk when following an npc.

It would be ideal if the USKP devs made a compatible version of this, separate from the patch, because going back to following npcs with variable movement feels really artificial.

Is there any chance you guys could handle this?

Edited by Varys

The comments on that mod indicate some severe timing issues with Helgen (and therefore likely other stuff too) so that isn't something we'd be willing to address.

No timing problems in that mod at all, exept that the horses are slightly slower, which makes each isolated conversation longer to start, as opposed to the conveniently continuous string in the vanilla version.

That kind of mod actually adds realism, and I've read comments of several players who will instantly remove the patch when they see such conflicts, since it's basicaly replacing old bugs with new ones.

If it was just some pointless anti-lore mod I wouldn't bother asking. Idealy you guys could replace slow walk with the fast paced walking of NPCs.

Edited by Varys

Trust me when I tell you that messing with anything that throws off the pacing in Helgen is a Bad Thingâ„¢. Slow the horses down? Not everyone may be hit with it, but there WILL be a significant number of folks who are.

Just as I once found when accidentally meddling with the timing on Tullius and he was walking faster than the horse, which in turn led to the whole scene at the south gate becoming a disaster because the gate closed before the cart ahead of you could get through.